Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally, male athletes start showing signs of decline once they reach 30. But in our sport, the Big 3 are an exemption.

The comparison here is to show just how good the Big 3 are past their prime. They're still at the top of the rankings and fighting for the big prizes. It takes a humongous effort from the younger generation to get past them

ROGER FEDERER

Grandslams - 4
M1000 - 11
Weeks at #1 - 25

RAFAEL NADAL

Grandslams - 5
M1000 - 7
Weeks at #1 - 68
Year End #1 - 2

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Grandslams - 5
M1000 - 6
Weeks at #1 - 64 (Still ranked #1)
Year End #1 - 1

The only other player who comes close in comparison to them is Agassi. He won 2 Grandslams, 7 M100 and held #1 ranking for 17 weeks.

We may never see 3 players of such greatness playing at the same time again. So enjoy them while they last.

·
Registered
59,365 Posts
Not sure if improvement of recovery methods or yet more evidence of how bad LostGen was.

·
justice for all
16,252 Posts
We may not or we may. In the last 15-20 years sports engeneering, nutrition and regeneration have developed so much that it becomes a new standard that athletes prolong their careers and their peaks well into their mid 30-ties.

·
Your visions will happen
49,320 Posts
Tennis has always been a sport where guys play longer. Guys have been winning slams and being #1 well into their 30's for 100 years, and I don't see that stopping. 30 can compete vs 20 and 25 without problems. 35 is the new 30 really, at least at the very top level

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
This stopped being the case some while ago. Many players peak at the age of 30 or even later.
Yep, Wawrinka has won two slams + entered another final and three semifinals after 30th birthday.

Ferrer entered two slam semifinals + 4 quarterfinals before the 30th birthday, whereas final and three semis + seven QF's thereafter.

Murray became y.e. no.1 after 29th birthday and was 30.3 when he lost it due to injury.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Federer: 36 titles since turning 30.

Nearly 35% total titles
Wow, never figured it would be that high.
But then again, it's a decade of tournaments. Shit, time flies.

Reactions: DarkoAqua

·
Registered
351 Posts
Federer: 36 titles since turning 30.

Nearly 35% total titles
Federer peaked in 2015 by his own admission so this is not really surprising. If not for Djokovic he would have picked up 4 more majors from 2014-2016 and won 3 consecutive majors.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Djokovic will perform the best by far in his 30s. He is in much better shape than Kneedull and is also a much better player.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Federer peaked in 2015 by his own admission so this is not really surprising. If not for Djokovic he would have picked up 4 more majors from 2014-2016 and won 3 consecutive majors.

For sure, peak of a 34 year old player.
Wimb 2019 is also a peak of a 38 year old player.
Otherwise everyone here knows the peak of Federer.

Now, this is still quite surprising to have opened a thread of 229 pages in feb 2012 :)
Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100...

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Well, currently generation Djokodal is pretty much fading away, except for its two big heroes. LostGen made it very easy for them to dominate well into their 30s. But NextGen is way stronger than LostGen, so the domination will soon be over.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Fed was playing amazing tennis in 2015. I agree, if it wasn't for novak, he would have won wimbledon and the us open. I've watched recently the highlights of those 2 finals and fed threw everything at novak. And the crowd in both matches was completely against him and fed playing out of his mind. Even so, victories in 4 sets in both matches. Unreal.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Fed was playing amazing tennis in 2015. I agree, if it wasn't for novak, he would have won wimbledon and the us open. I've watched recently the highlights of those 2 finals and fed threw everything at novak. And the crowd in both matches was completely against him and fed playing out of his mind. Even so, victories in 4 sets in both matches. Unreal.
He also lost to Djokovic in the final of the ATP Finals, IW and Rome. He was a Djokovic away from having a pretty dominant year.

·
Registered
351 Posts
He also lost to Djokovic in the final of the ATP Finals, IW and Rome. He was a Djokovic away from having a pretty dominant year.
He would have won 2016 AO too.

Remember how well he played at Wimbledon vs Murray and at Cincy and the USO. He didn't drop serve once in Cincy and only once at the USO before the final vs Stan in the SF.

Trashed everyone in straight sets.

·
Registered
281 Posts
He would have won 2016 AO too.

Remember how well he played at Wimbledon vs Murray and at Cincy and the USO. He didn't drop serve once in Cincy and only once at the USO before the final vs Stan in the SF.

Trashed everyone in straight sets.

View attachment 356946
View attachment 356948
I think fed played better in 2015 than in 2012. That's why i always think numbers alone cannot be the whole thing. You have to look at the opposition you are facing. For me that's why novak is the best player, even now with 3 majors behind fed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts