Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who possesses better volleying skills at the net?

• Roger Federer

Votes: 73 67.6%
  • Jo Wilfred Tsonga

Votes: 16 14.8%
  • Lleyton Hewitt

Votes: 19 17.6%
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of the three player have the best volley? Which one have better feel or touch at the net? Are their volleying style similar?

I personally choose Tsonga. His touch at the net is easily one of the best I've ever seen. Simply a natural.

·
Registered
27,321 Posts
Hewitt.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Tsonga's volleys are actually pretty overrated, sure he can pull off some spectacular shots but the technique isn't the purest that's for sure.

Hewitt has sexy volleys when he decides to come in twice a match.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh, c'mon, despite not loving Fed at all I must admit that his volleying skills are the best of the three. Tsonga? Hewitt? Please...

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tsonga's volleys are actually pretty overrated, sure he can pull off some spectacular shots but the technique isn't the purest that's for sure.

Hewitt has sexy volleys when he decides to come in twice a match.
It's true his technique isn't the best but I do believe he's got the best natural touch out of the three, which to a certain extent cover up his lack of technique at times. If all three of them were to become serve and volley players, I believe Tsonga will have the best net skill.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, c'mon, despite not loving Fed at all I must admit that his volleying skills are the best of the three. Tsonga? Hewitt? Please...
Despite not loving Hewitt at all I must admit his volleying skills are brilliant, deserves to be compared to Federer in the department. It's unfortunate he doesn't have the firepower to back up his great net skills.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
It's true his technique isn't the best but I do believe he's got the best natural touch out of the three, which to a certain extent cover up his lack of technique at times. If all three of them were to become serve and volley players, I believe Tsonga will have the best net skill.
He's got soft hands, I'm not denying that but he drags a lot of easy routine volleys into the net. In terms of overall pure volleying aesthetics, I give the nod to Hewitt although Fed is not far behind. The amount of times Lleyton comes in behind crappy short approaches and still pulls out the winning volley gives him the edge IMO.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Out of the three, I think it is quite obvious Federer has the best combination of good hands and technique. Between Tsonga and Hewitt, it is a tough call. Hewitt has solid volleys and it is good enough most of the time. Tsonga has a great backhand volley and great touch, however, his forehand volley has caused him a lot of headaches in the past.

I'll still go with Federer >> Tsonga > Hewitt

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,452 Posts
Federer, by far. Stupid question, really.

Hewitt had a solid net game and Tsonga is very good at the net. I can't say who's better between those two, but it's very obvious that Federer is better than both of them.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,452 Posts
Despite not loving Hewitt at all I must admit his volleying skills are brilliant, deserves to be compared to Federer in the department. It's unfortunate he doesn't have the firepower to back up his great net skills.
No, you can't compare Hewitt's volleys to Federer's. That's ridiculous. Hewitt had good volleys, but this is Federer we're talking about.

·
Registered
23,908 Posts
Federer was always a better volleyer than those two, i mean think about it, why dont you put him against Lopez, Llodra, Stepanek or some other great volleyers, dont get me wrong tsonga and hewitt were great volleyers too but fed against them is a big mistake Fed owns them in every category.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Federer can net 30 volleys a match and still look too technically sexy doing so to not be the best out of these three.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Out of the three, I think it is quite obvious Federer has the best combination of good hands and technique. Between Tsonga and Hewitt, it is a tough call. Hewitt has solid volleys and it is good enough most of the time. Tsonga has a great backhand volley and great touch, however, his forehand volley has caused him a lot of headaches in the past.

I'll still go with Federer >> Tsonga > Hewitt
Have to agree on the whole, with the note that it may not be 'fair' to judge between Hewitt and Tsonga at this moment of time, as Hewitt is obviously past his best, whereas Tsonga is obviously at his best nowadays... let's just say that I was in awe at his miraculous volleys in the past couple of tournaments he played, and if he keeps up that level, he might well be capable of having me :drool: more often than Hewitt ever did.

Federer can net 30 volleys a match and still look too technically sexy doing so to not be the best out of these three.
:lol: - well at least Fed still tries at all, despite the massive number of :facepalm: attempts at times.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I was watching some Fed vs Tipsy from 2008 Aus Open, and I have to say that Fed of late 2011 has been performing very well at net, not dumping many easy volleys. Whether or not it`s Annacone`s general influence or just better form, who knows.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Federer by far, and its not really close. Amusingly, he typically makes most of the really hard volleys look easy, but might net a few easy ones, often on the forehand side and its usually laziness related. But he just has a lot of variety, and can hit every type of volley as well as having some of the best hands in modern tennis history. Obviously he was a better volleyer earlier in his career, and the skills atrophied a bit as he got older.

Hewitt has excellent and really soft hands, but alas he was born several inches too small. Tsonga also has excellent technique and feel, but then I don't know, he often doesn't get enough angle on his punch volleys and can make the wrong volleying decisions (in fact I would say its his decision making that is the biggest problem, moreso than his form or execution)

·
Registered
27,321 Posts
No, you can't compare Hewitt's volleys to Federer's. That's ridiculous. Hewitt had good volleys, but this is Federer we're talking about.
Whats your point? Being Federer means nothing in an argument, you actually have to back statements up with reasons.

Hewitt has superior technical ability at the net. His main problem is he doesn't have a big enough baseline game to come in against. Watch some of his doubles matches and you'll see, the guy is a genius at the net.

Tsonga is clearly the weakest of the three, unless you are talking about drop volleys.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hewitt has superior technical ability at the net. His main problem is he doesn't have a big enough baseline game to come in against. Watch some of his doubles matches and you'll see, the guy is a genius at the net.
Hewitt doesn't have Federers punch volleys, nor was he ever a serve and volleyer and it does show. Roger is equally dangerous in doubles as well and its there that you can really see the extent of his net game.

I completely agree that Lleyton has really nice touch and feel at the net, but lets be honest, small guys just dont have the coverage.

The fact that Tsonga has long arms, should make him really difficult to pass, but for some reason it doesn't, and thats one of the things I hold against him.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Hewitt doesn't have Federers punch volleys, nor was he ever a serve and volleyer and it does show. Roger is equally dangerous in doubles as well and its there that you can really see the extent of his net game.

I completely agree that Lleyton has really nice touch and feel at the net, but lets be honest, small guys just dont have the coverage.

The fact that Tsonga has long arms, should make him really difficult to pass, but for some reason it doesn't, and thats one of the things I hold against him.
Hewitt's serve sucks, so obviously he couldn't S&V.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts