Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is the better "meme" commentator?

• The Salad turtle: Manu_ser ... ______ Stuff!

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Robbie Koenig: _______ SUPERB!

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Better tennis "meme" commentator: MTF salad turtle, manu_ser or Robbie Koenig?

Who do you think is the better "meme" commentator?

The MTF salad turtle

"The public simply adores when these"
"Fascinating stuff"
"Worrying stuff"
"Superb stuff"
"STUFF"
Etc.

or

Mr. Koenig

"Line licking ____"
"Make room for your jaw as it drops to the floor"
"He's like a mongoose on _____"
"Diamond cutter"
"Scintillating, sensational, and superb"

Let's decide this once and for all.

·
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Better tennis "meme" commentator: MTF salad turtle, manu_ser or Robbie Koenig?

Relevant threads like these are the reason why I still bother to check MTF.
So what is your answer?

Are you a Manu_ser trd or a Robbie trd?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Re: Better tennis "meme" commentator: MTF salad turtle, manu_ser or Robbie Koenig?

Requesting to add in the poll that british Tennis TV commentator who, every time he comments a smaller, fast-moving player, refers to them as "twinkle toes *insert player name*" 40 times during the match. Cringe.

On topic: @Manu_ser is obviously superior. Brilliant stuff.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts

Easily @Feliciano Blopez with meme of the year.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

Isn't a meme an image that has a caption?

OP your thread makes no sense.
Anyway, Manu is not comparable to Koenig, Manu you may take that as a compliment--Manu just opens his thread with the same intro, he doesn't spew purple prose all over the place or wet his metaphorical pants every times someone makes a good shot.

Koenig is ridiculous but a stand-out for his ridiculousness.
Nothing will give you an appreciation for Koenig though, like one full week of Jimmy Arias.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

I can't beleive I replied to this silly thread.

It's because nothing is going on.

Except: Sabalenka just proved she's not a fluke, 2nd title. the next women's champion has truly arrived--could not find the WTA thread to post this on, so here it is, on this silly thread.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts

My favorite was when Sock lost in an Eastbourne qualifier and Manu opened the thread with "Embarrassing stuff", that was when I knew he had variety.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,199 Posts

Koenig ofc. Turtle bot says "Great stuff.
" even if the win is by retirement.

·
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I can't beleive I replied to this silly thread.

It's because nothing is going on.

Except: Sabalenka just proved she's not a fluke, 2nd title. the next women's champion has truly arrived--could not find the WTA thread to post this on, so here it is, on this silly thread.
"SILLY. RIDICULOUS and a WASTE OF SPACE. This Kowchi guy is out of his MIND!"

Also I saw Sabalenka in person and she is a force of nature. She can hit just as hard as Cilic and doesn't give a f___ about being proper. Most enjoyable game I have seen on the women's side.

I'm glad you had time to post in this relevant thread Mr. Koeni.... I mean Canadian Pop Rox!

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

"SILLY. RIDICULOUS and a WASTE OF SPACE. This Kowchi guy is out of his MIND!"

Also I saw Sabalenka in person and she is a force of nature. She can hit just as hard as Cilic and doesn't give a f___ about being proper. Most enjoyable game I have seen on the women's side.

I'm glad you had time to post in this relevant thread Mr. Koeni.... I mean Canadian Pop Rox!
Silly but fun thread! You know I love talking about Koenig, he's a minor obsession of mine.
Recently it occurred to me, while watching some "soccer" highlights, that Koenig commentates like a soccer commie. Always on the verge of losing it, over excited, etc.
But the purple metaphors are kind of unique to him.

Also "salad turtle" is funny. Why be a salad turtle I wonder?

Yes, Sab! I agree totally, I was also struck by how she hits like a man, it's incredible, I would say more so than Serena. I had become totally disinterested in WTA but having seen her i want to watch (her). She hits so hard but with precision; her shot selection and point construction is incredible; she has great hands, an incredible serve, great movement, really strong mentally. The whole package.

I'll eat a salad turtle if she isn't the next great women's champion.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

OP your thread makes no sense.
The internet just hijacked the concept and applied it to this particular viral form of image board style transmission.

From wiki:
The word meme originated with Richard Dawkins' 1976 book The Selfish Gene. Dawkins cites as inspiration the work of geneticist L. L. Cavalli-Sforza, anthropologist F. T. Cloak[18] and ethologist J. M. Cullen.[19] Dawkins wrote that evolution depended not on the particular chemical basis of genetics, but only on the existence of a self-replicating unit of transmission—in the case of biological evolution, the gene. For Dawkins, the meme exemplified another self-replicating unit with potential significance in explaining human behavior and cultural evolution. Although Dawkins invented the term 'meme' and developed meme theory, the possibility that ideas were subject to the same pressures of evolution as were biological attributes was discussed in Darwin's time. T. H. Huxley claimed that 'The struggle for existence holds as much in the intellectual as in the physical world. A theory is a species of thinking, and its right to exist is coextensive with its power of resisting extinction by its rivals.'[20]

"Kilroy was here" was a graffito that became popular in the 1940s, and existed under various names in different countries, illustrating how a meme can be modified through replication.[21]
Dawkins used the term to refer to any cultural entity that an observer might consider a replicator. He hypothesized that one could view many cultural entities as replicators, and pointed to melodies, fashions and learned skills as examples. Memes generally replicate through exposure to humans, who have evolved as efficient copiers of information and behavior. Because humans do not always copy memes perfectly, and because they may refine, combine or otherwise modify them with other memes to create new memes, they can change over time. Dawkins likened the process by which memes survive and change through the evolution of culture to the natural selection of genes in biological evolution.[17]

Dawkins defined the meme as a unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation and replication, but later definitions would vary. The lack of a consistent, rigorous, and precise understanding of what typically makes up one unit of cultural transmission remains a problem in debates about memetics.[22] In contrast, the concept of genetics gained concrete evidence with the discovery of the biological functions of DNA. Meme transmission requires a physical medium, such as photons, sound waves, touch, taste, or smell because memes can be transmitted only through the senses.

Dawkins noted that in a society with culture a person need not have descendants to remain influential in the actions of individuals thousands of years after their death:

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

The internet just hijacked the concept and applied it to this particular viral form of image board style transmission.

From wiki:
I read the The Selfish Gene many moons ago and was very impressed by it! Very interesting that usage of "meme" originates there. Thanks for pointing that out.

I never really saw the linguistic logic of using "meme" for a captioned image.

Either way, "meme" doesn't describe Robbie Koenig or salad turtle's intros. But the thread memes on!

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,629 Posts

A meme is simply any expressed idea that explodes somehow to internet consciousness or becomes a popular culture fad. It includes those image/loops with captions but also viral internet videos like nyan cat or hitler rant parodies. On MTF, " David Pics Ferrer" for instance has become a meme.

·
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He is geting better and better now that he is aware of his competition.

What new heights will we see for Salad Turtle?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts