Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who has the better strokes?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might be interesting since these two players (along with Raonic, but his groundstrokes are on a totally different level) are the standard bearers for the mid 20's generation. Who would you guys say has better groundstrokes? I go for Nishikori, such clean and explosive hitting from both wings.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Nishikori now but Dimitrov forehand has potential to be a big weapon.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Easy one this. Nishikori.

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Nishikori has the best attacking baseline game in tennis. This is not even a contest.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
I agree on the backhand, who do you think has the better forehand though?
I think that's very close actually. Dimitrov's is more textbook but I wouldn't say it's better in practice. Pretty even for me.

But Nishikori's better BH allows him to stay closer to the baseline and that can help him to play his FH in a more aggressive way also.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Kei all the way on the backhand and currently even on forehand, but Grigor can play his fh better. Shame the last time he showed that was Wimbledon 2014.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
On a consistent all round basis for maximum aggression, Kei. And even defensively he fairs well. He is able to produce pace even when the ball is running behind him and can add zany topspin angles to really open the court. His FH pass ain't shabby either. Dimitrov's FH is nice too but it is more likely to collapse and doesn't always give him the punch needed, especially when in defense. However it looks nice when going IO like Federer's but otherwise I'd go with Kei's (which does bother Nadal)

I would say Kei has a more loaded FH...it's disguised in how good it actually can be.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Nishikori clearly. He is far more consistent and great at going from defend to attack. Dimitrov is far less reliable especially on the backhand wing but when he is playing aggressively the forehand is more potent then Nishikori.

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts
Raonic forehand>>>> Nishitrov

·
53,559 Posts
Raonic forehand>>>> Nishitrov
Up until recently, Milos only knew how to hit 100 IO FHs to the BH side.
Great to see an improvement this year.

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts
Up until recently, Milos only knew how to hit 100 IO FHs to the BH side.
Great to see an improvement this year.
As i said his forehand is better when he has time to set it up.

·
53,559 Posts
As i said his forehand is better when he has time to set it up.
Indeed the serve plays a huge part to get him there and I admit he has excellent control when he is set up - not just flat hitting. But defensively still much to be desired, obviously a limitation for many tall players.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts