Mens Tennis Forums banner

Better field?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,306 Posts
Indeed glorious, Söderking ballbashing his way in central-western Florida to a CH title, against Berdych of all people.
I take that any time over NextGen shitting their panties in absence of Djokovic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No way, it was 6-1, 6-2:

SWE
RobinSoderling
[1]

Entry status: Wild Card
USA
JeremyEfferding

Sunrise Challenger 2009 Tennis Tournament | ITF
Hmm yeah you're right, but Efferding was not yet even 16 years old, and would never reach the level of truly elite junior by 18. I remember following the livescore and it was much more competitive than expected. And then Robin was beating Nadal a couple months later. Interesting times in tennis but also on this forum where the challenger forum was super active back then.

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,306 Posts
Berdych and Soderling were both ranked in the mid 20s at that time. Not quite the level some here seem to think.
Then why did they play this CH tournament? Unfathomable for today's standards.
Nowadays a Top 30 player is prohibited to enter such CH tourneys.

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,306 Posts
Hmm yeah you're right, but Efferding was not yet even 16 years old, and would never reach the level of truly elite junior by 18. I remember following the livescore and it was much more competitive than expected. And then Robin was beating Nadal a couple months later. Interesting times in tennis but also on this forum where the challenger forum was super active back then.
So you have a 2nd account now or you were only reading back then?
I know how tennis was at the end of 00's. Lots of interesting happenings on the CH Tour... nowadays also, but mainly for the lolz...

·
Registered
43 Posts
So you have a 2nd account now or you were only reading back then?
I know how tennis was at the end of 00's. Lots of interesting happenings on the CH Tour... nowadays also, but mainly for the lolz...
I had another account originally but for some reason I couldn't access it after the forum switched over. Gave up on trying to log in and didn't post for a quite a few years until I created this account.

I would like people to post on the CH forum again, but most of those posters left. I wonder how the legendary poster Flyboy/Filo V is these days.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Berdych and Soderling were both ranked in the mid 20s at that time. Not quite the level some here seem to think.
Still Berdych and Soderling was a very tough draw for 3R at Slams.
Peakerer barely survived vs Berd in AO, and Rafito almost lost to Soder from 2-0 at W2007
Berdych actually beat a peak Simon at DC before Sunshine Double and Soder had a very promising fall of 2008.

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,306 Posts
I had another account originally but for some reason I couldn't access it after the forum switched over. Gave up on trying to log in and didn't post for a quite a few years until I created this account.

I would like people to post on the CH forum again, but most of those posters left. I wonder how the legendary poster Flyboy/Filo V is these days.
I had heard of him, he was also ACC champ back then in 2011. Legendary posters, legendary times.
Now we have to be modest to even get that look at the current events...

Btw we have a CH thread here in GM which is quite active, there is a handful of fanatics who still watch CHs even these days.

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,306 Posts
Losing 3 games to a 15-year-old who would never amount to anything on the tour (peaked at #987 in the rankings, nuff said) is probably closer than one would expect, heh. Of course, no need for the better player to go all in when a mismatch is that massive.
This is not WTA where the loser gets double bageled, even if there is a big gap in talent and level of play between the finalists. :LOL:
See 1988 RG final

1 - 20 of 30 Posts