Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Roddick

Votes: 21 46.7%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roddick has won 4 titles on grass. His record is 78-19. He played 3 Wimbledon finals, lost all of them to Federer.

Rafter has won 4 titles on grass. His record is 74-25. Reached 2 Wimbledon finals with losses to Sampras and Ivanisevic.

Numbers saying Roddick is clearly better, but I'm not sure about it. Discuss.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
rafter is the man.

roddick was overrated on grass. he didnt beat anybody special in all those queens finals. in fact, mahut gave him a gift in one of the finals there.

excellent topic.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Rafter on grass. He seemed to be a better matchup for Fed then Roddick ever could be as well for whatever reason. Roddick was better at the USO on faster hardcourts then he was on grass IMO.

Rafter was much better putting pressure on the opponent and his transition to the net and volley skills was 10 times better then Roddick's. That could be the most likely edge to Rafter

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
MTF logic says Roddick has achieved more and therefor must be considered better on grass than Rafter.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Roddick has the bigger serve which explains his results. Rafter was a more natural grass player but Roddick has produced with his serve. Both were close to a title, losing epic 5-set finals.

It's close, since it's also stupid to not include results into the comparison as well. I'd say Rafter edges it but maybe it has something to do with me liking Rafter's game and attitude and disliking that of Roddick :p

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Yes Roddick has better results but in terms of being a better player of grass courts, it has to be Rafter and by a significant margin. Roddick's grass court results are almost all due to his serve while Rafter relied on his court craft, slice backhand and volleying skills.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
finally a serious post from the rich tycoon from australia.

affirmative adrian.

rafter had more on the ball so to speak. he was also a more cerebral player than roddick on grass.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
About the same, Roddick probably had a little more longevity.

For me it doesn't matter if it is the serve or the volleys that make you a good grasscourter.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Rafter on grass. He seemed to be a better matchup for Fed then Roddick ever could be as well for whatever reason.
The reason probably has something to do with Fed's being about 17 when they played.

·
A happy person
44,904 Posts
My friend, Rafter will be the right answer around because this is a weak are as we know from MTF. :devil: No, sorry, it's the weakest era ever. :shrug:

Seriously, I think they are about same. Roddick was very good grass player as well when he played that few good year.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Yes Roddick has better results but in terms of being a better player of grass courts, it has to be Rafter and by a significant margin. Roddick's grass court results are almost all due to his serve while Rafter relied on his court craft, slice backhand and volleying skills.
I AGREE.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Last time I checked serving is part of tennis. Roddick's serve on proper grass like queen's is unreturnable. So Roddick is the better player.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
rafter was far more talented. simply a better athlete.

take roddick`s serve away on grass and what does he have left?
Rofl, what poor logic from the imaginary princess and queens girl. Take away most player's best shot and the rest of their game falls apart. Roddick still had some of the meanest groundstrokes during his peak of 2003/2004. A peak Roddick would of been hell to break on fast grass, however, Rafter may have slightly too much overall game compared to Andy.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Rafter had the more appealing and skilled grass game, that is for sure. Roddick's serve alone was as effective as Rafter's entire game though, which is the reason for the slightly better results for Roddick(along with a very high level of competition for Rafter).

Grass does suit Roddick's game in a few ways that many wouldn't think of though, other than the serve. He is an underrated mover on the surface, and is actually decent at passing when his opponent comes to net(which happens more often on grass). Also, his funky forehand doesn't really lose effectiveness with a lower bounce, he is still able to hit heavy rally shots with it and unload on it when needed(not any time recently, but back in his good days). Also, his terrible slice is actually a useful shot on the surface against most players, though obviously it doesn't have enough bite to trouble any of the top guys.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts