Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Don't care

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has a better forehand, Djokovic or Nadal?

I'd like to set some parameters: this is not a H2H debate. I swear I'll kamikaze this thread to the Ruins the minute it turns into a GOAT debate. I'm only interested in opinions regarding which of these two groundstrokes is the better shot.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
This thread is unnecessary since most, including myself, think Nadal has the better forehand. Where the issue is you asking in the other thread why Nadal has won half their matches and has a positive head to head in the rivalry when you know clearly well that 47% of their Slam matches happened at Nadal's favorite tournament, RG and 43% of overall matches happened on clay. If they had met 7 times at AO or Wimbledon, do you really think Nadal would have a 9-6 lead in the head to head?

You like many others have underrated the Djokovic forehand though and you even insinuated Dimitrov has a better running forehand than Djokovic. :spit: No. Djokovic's forehand is one of the best shots in his arsenal which he uses to move opponents out of position and open up the court. Also, Djokovic hits more forehand winners than Nadal the majority of the time when they play each other.

·
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This thread is unnecessary since most, including myself, think Nadal has the better forehand. Where the issue is you asking in the other thread why Nadal has won half their matches and has a positive head to head in the rivalry when you know clearly well that 47% of their Slam matches happened at Nadal's favorite tournament, RG and 43% of overall matches happened on clay. If they had met 7 times at AO or Wimbledon, do you really think Nadal would have a 9-6 lead in the head to head?

You like many others have underrated the Djokovic forehand though and you even insinuated Dimitrov has a better running forehand than Djokovic. :spit: No. Djokovic's forehand is one of the best shots in his arsenal which he uses to move opponents out of position and open up the court. Also, Djokovic hits more forehand winners than Nadal the majority of the time when they play each other.
So, just to be clear: you agree that Nadal has a better forehand than Djokovic? This was really the only point I was trying to make. To be honest, I find it very difficult to talk with Djokotards at the moment. I'm being quite polite and reasonable yet you guys are acting very dodgy and defensive.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
So, just to be clear: you agree that Nadal has a better forehand than Djokovic? This was really the only point I was trying to make. To be honest, I find it very difficult to talk with Djokotards at the moment. I'm being quite polite and reasonable yet you guys are acting very dodgy and defensive.
Yes I think Nadal has the better forehand but I still disagree with most of what you said in the other thread, especially in trying to downplay the versatility of Djokovic's shot or trying to rate inferior forehands over his. All these guys with supposed "better" forehands get slaughtered when they try to go forehand to forehand with Djokovic consistently and that should tell you something.

·
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I think Nadal has the better forehand but I still disagree with most of what you said in the other thread, especially in trying to downplay the versatility of Djokovic's shot or trying to rate inferior forehands over his. All these guys with supposed "better" forehands get slaughtered when they try to go forehand to forehand with Djokovic consistently and that should tell you something.
To say that guy like Del Potro and Wawrinka get "slaughtered" when they go CC FH with Djokovic is a highly debatable claim.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
To say that guy like Del Potro and Wawrinka get "slaughtered" when they go CC FH with Djokovic is a highly debatable claim.
Del Potro got slaughtered going forehand to forehand with Djokovic in 2018 USO final and in every USO match they have played for that matter. Wawrinka is different because he matches up better against Djokovic in a BO5 but even then it's his overall game and the way he can create angles with his backhand that help him compete with Djokovic. It surely isn't because he is so much better on the forehand side.

·
The special one
14,030 Posts
Nadal on Clay has probably the best FH of all time. On high bouncing surfaces in general in fact, it's almost impossible to defend against that topspin FH when Nadal gets in charge of the rallies, although Novak's FH is also underrated, one of the best also, but I would choose Nadal's without doubt.

·
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Del Potro got slaughtered going forehand to forehand with Djokovic in 2018 USO final and in every USO match they have played for that matter. Wawrinka is different because he matches up better against Djokovic in a BO5 but even then it's his overall game and the way he can create angles with his backhand that help him compete with Djokovic. It surely isn't because he is so much better on the forehand side.
Should I make another thread comparing Djokovic and del Potro's forehands? I have a feeling that most people will choose the latter.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Should I make another thread comparing Djokovic and del Potro's forehands? I have a feeling that most people will choose the latter.
They can choose whatever they want but the only way Del Potro has any advantage compared to Djokovic's forehand is in pace only. He does not have the spin and versatility of that shot, nor can he create offensive forehands from a defensive position like Djokovic can. If he could, he would have won at least one set in 3 USO matches by now.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I thought this was an Unbiased thread at first. I'm still not convinced OP isn't trolling. Anyway, Nadal's forehand is far better in most conditions except fast/indoor hard courts. The match-up between Nadal and Djokovic is actually a really bad indicator of their relative forehand strength, since Novak's backhand is immune to moonballing unlike 99% of players on tour and his forehand is good against high balls as well.

·
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought this was an Unbiased thread at first. I'm still not convinced OP isn't trolling. Anyway, Nadal's forehand is far better in most conditions except fast/indoor hard courts. The match-up between Nadal and Djokovic is actually a really bad indicator of their relative forehand strength, since Novak's backhand is immune to moonballing unlike 99% of players on tour and his forehand is good against high balls as well.
This is a 100% earnest thread. I made it because several posters suggested that Djokovic had a better forehand than Nadal in another thread but I didn't want to side track it any more.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
What are we talking about, technique, relative damage it can do, relative importance to player's game? I can see some picking Djoker's FH because of technique (though his forehand is really not a pretty shot either by purists standard), but RAFA's forehand is the way more influential shot.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Let's start with the fact Djokovic has superior backhand, serve and ROS.
And how do you think Nadal managed to win 25 out of 53 matches in this rivalry?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
This is a 100% earnest thread. I made it because several posters suggested that Djokovic had a better forehand than Nadal in another thread but I didn't want to side track it any more.
Only in certain circumstances. Overall, Nadals FH is better, but not by much. He needs too much time on preparation to hit it with force, spin and depth, so when he loose half of step or degrades in speed, his whole game would crumble. That is why he must play that aggresive from now on especially when serving, not just to avoid injuries.

In order to be succesfull in that style, he must improve more his serve and his return, and stand closer to the line when returning. Priblem is, it is not his natural style, and you cannot beat an ATG playing well with a style that is not natural to you. That is why i think that his clay game must remove the same, bar better serve, in order for him to beat Djokovic

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Nadal, far more reliable, offensively and defensively.

As someone mentioned before, strength of Novak's FH is the placement with which he can move his opponents virtually wherever he wants. But it isn't a shot that you would marvel at for bombing winners, spectacular passes (except maybe cross court which he really improved) or retrieving everything (he chooses to FH slice/block when streched on FH side). He doesn't crank it too much (I was surprised how good FH worked in that AO final) and too often. It's a tactical weapon, rather than a firearm.

As for Rafa, when I started watching tennis it felt as if he reaches the ball on the FH side he will put it back in the court...not much changed in my mind. The flaw of his FH is from mental POV, when he is tight, he resorts to windshield wiper follow through and drops it short often, nothing to do with the technicality of the shot.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts