Mens Tennis Forums banner

Better Career if Wawrinka wins another slam. Murray or Wawrinka?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case Wawrinka wins another slam and Murray doesn't, which player would you consider to have a better career?

For me Murray, slams are not everything in tennis

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Stan with 3 slams > Murray with 2. Simple

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question for people who chose Wawrinka: What is the use of non grand slam tournaments?

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
Still Murray. Murray's the more likely to win another slam anyway.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Murray to defeat Wawrinka in Wimbly finals 2015.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would pick Wawrinka in that scenario. 1 slam is a far bigger difference when you are talking about 2 players with a relatively small number of slams.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Kuerten absolutely has a better career than Murray. Stupid question when Kuerten not only has an extra slam, but also has a YE#1 (vs Murray who hasnt spent a week there) and swept the POY awards for his YE#1 year. Easier comparision than Wawrinka with 3 vs Murray with 2 would be.

So if Kuerten is the example, it is a horrible one.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If Stan wins a different slam then Stan, because that would be Slams at 3 separate events. Otherwise, it's a close call. cf. Edberg v. Becker.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Depends on whether you think Slams are the only thing that matters in tennis. I'd still take Murray's career but I'm a Murray fan and no doubt biased.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I dont think slams are the only thing to matter in tennis. However a 3 slam winner vs a 2 slam winner is a HUGE difference from say a 9 slam winner vs an 8 slam winner.

I agree which slam he wins next is important. I have a feeling his next slam win will actually be the U.S Open this year though, which would seal it for now IMO (unless Murray has already won Wimbledon, which I actually also predict, which would mean he is still ahead probably, haha).

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Depends on whether you think Slams are the only thing that matters in tennis. I'd still take Murray's career but I'm a Murray fan and no doubt biased.
You probably take Murray's career over Rafa, Roger, and Nole too. lol

·
Registered
623 Posts
I dont think slams are the only thing to matter in tennis. However a 3 slam winner vs a 2 slam winner is a HUGE difference from say a 9 slam winner vs an 8 slam winner.

I agree which slam he wins next is important. I have a feeling his next slam win will actually be the U.S Open this year though, which would seal it for now IMO (unless Murray has already won Wimbledon, which I actually also predict, which would mean he is still ahead probably, haha).
Agreed, since it's 1.5X the number of slams v. 1.125. But Murray does have many, many Masters titles (9?) and I think that matters.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
By todays logic absolutely, it's all about slams in this day and age, even masters are becoming pointless.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Agreed, since it's 1.5X the number of slams v. 1.125. But Murray does have many, many Masters titles (9?) and I think that matters.
True. Honestly it is still a close call even then. Had Murray spent some time at #1 or won a WTF it would make it easier but he has done neither. He does have a ton more Masters, slam finals, etc...

I dont expect Wawrinka to ever have more majors than Murray so it is probably moot (I expect both to win atleast 1 more but Wawrinka never earlier or ahead probably), but I could totally be wrong on that. I didnt expect Wawrinka to ever get to 2 majors, even a few days ago. My confidence in him is rising.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Wawrinka is an attacking player, so I favour him. Murray depends on his defence too much for me to like his style of play.

·
Registered
377 Posts
By todays logic absolutely, it's all about slams in this day and age, even masters are becoming pointless.
Honestly it is alot like the Serena vs Navratilova vs Evert debate as things stand now. Although as I said for me 3 slams vs 2 is really a much bigger difference than say 20 vs 18, despite that it is 1 slam difference vs 2. Of course Serena doesnt compare nearly as badly in non slam win stats as Wawrinka does to Murray though, but she is clearly behind still (even discounting joke meaningless things like winning 160 tournaments in the 70s).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts