• even

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is not the question about greatness / achievements, this is not the question about potential / what would be without injuries, this is simply the question about the highest level of play we've seen from these players.

Wawrinka beat Djokovic a few times, beat Nadal in AO F, but he regularly bends over to Federer. Is this as some say due to matchup, or Wawrinka simply never played his best against Fed because of the mental aspect?

Del Potro bends over to nobody. He beat Federer at USO F, he beat Djokovic at the Olympics and he had a few more tough losses against them.

Both at their peak have great groundstrokes, Delpo has advantage in fh, Wawrinka has advantage in bh and maybe defense / movement, both are mentally strong.

So who has the higher peak? Who would win in direct matches peak vs peak?

·
justice for all
13,116 Posts
This is not the question about greatness / achievements, this is not the question about potential / what would be without injuries, this is simply the question about the highest level of play we've seen from these players.

Wawrinka beat Djokovic a few times, beat Nadal in AO F, but he regularly bends over to Federer. Is this as some say due to matchup, or Wawrinka simply never played his best against Fed because of the mental aspect?

Del Potro bends over to nobody. He beat Federer at USO F, he beat Djokovic at the Olympics and he had a few more tough losses against them.

Both at their peak have great groundstrokes, Delpo has advantage in fh, Wawrinka has advantage in bh and maybe defense / movement, both are mentally strong.

So who has the higher peak? Who would win in direct matches peak vs peak?
Stan beat Fed in 2 very important matches too: MC final & RG QF.

While Del Potro on the other hand always bends over to Djokovic. Exhibitions (Olympics and DC) should not count as legit wins.

Stan is a way better player in every aspect and however we look at it: achievements, peak, important wins over BIG3. No contest at all.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
The answer is probably Wawrinka. But I will never forget DelPo at the 2009 USO.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
At his peak - Stan is the most suffocating player of this era. I'd take peak Stan over peak DelPo/Fed/Nole/Rafa/whoever. He's just wildly inconsistent. But for this question - Stan.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
At his peak - Stan is the most suffocating player of this era. I'd take peak Stan over peak DelPo/Fed/Nole/Rafa/whoever. He's just wildly inconsistent. But for this question - Stan.
Federer,Rafa, Novak all have a higher peak than Stan...maybe Stan might beat Novak at their peak level but that's mostly due to the match up..but that doesn't necessarily mean that Stan has higher peak than Novak...All Big3 have a higher peak than Stan. Peak Andy vs Peak Stan is interesting though

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Stanimal! At his best he can make life worse for lots of different opponents. DelPo is great too and can reach a high level, but even then he's vulnerable considering his movement.

·
10,277 Posts
I think I already made this thread months ago.

Del Potro in God mode is like 5% worse than Stanimal in god mode.

It's very close, but even as a Del Potro tard I would have to give the edge to Wawrinka. There are a few matches with peak Del Potro and they are a joy to watch, but unfortunately he can only keep that level for like one month out of every 2 years.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Players aren't robots of course so "peak" doesn't actually exist. It's a figment of our imaginations. Players play the opponent, the conditions, and have to make many quick decisions. Their "level of play" constantly fluctuates. So this question is obviously a massive oversimplification.

But I guess it's fun to try and answer anyway. Both Wawrinka and Del Potro have played at an extremely high level. At their very best they can/could both dominate any opponent on any surface. I think the fact that Del Potro's best tennis occurred almost 10 years ago complicates the comparison. Delpo beat Nadal three times in a row in 2009 culminating in a 6-2 6-2 6-2 domination of Rafa in the USO SF followed by an impressive victory against Federer in the final. I've seen Stan dominate the big 4 for sets and matches many times. But I have to go with Delpo 2009 as the highest level between the two, mostly because of his size and consistent serve combined with powerful returning from both wings. Wawrinka does have a scary-good power game combined with all-around skills. I think it's very close.

·
10,277 Posts
Even with Del Potro's Nadal win, I will still give the edge to Stan.

2013 AO Stan was just as good if not a little better than Del Potro 2009.

We can look back to 2013 Del Potro for the best comparison. Check out Beijing vs Nadal and Wimbledon SF vs. Djokovic for other close to peak Del Potro.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Both 'peaks' are vastly overrated. Those who claim they have a higher peak than any of RAFA, Djoker or Fraud have no clue about tennis.
Mugrinka has all the Nosetards nuthugging him because he always plays well against Djoker but he's a total non-entity against RAFA (don't care what people say, Mugrinka only won sets against injured RAFA in a slam) and a disgusting bendover artist against Nose. Not counting RG 15, Nose was already such a non-entity on clay that even the bendover artist couldn't bend low enough to lose there.
Delmugtro on the other hand tries his best against all of them, he's just not that good really. He has 2 wins against injured RAFA at USO, one against choking Nose, which he really should have lost (USO 09) and another one against a subpar choking Nose (USO 17).

So really, when the big 3 play well, the only match that is not NID in slams is Djokovic vs Mugrinka. That's it.

So on topic, Mugrinka is only slightly better than Delmugtro at his peak.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Both 'peaks' are vastly overrated. Those who claim they have a higher peak than any of RAFA, Djoker or Fraud have no clue about tennis.
Mugrinka has all the Nosetards nuthugging him because he always plays well against Djoker but he's a total non-entity against RAFA (don't care what people say, Mugrinka only won sets against injured RAFA in a slam) and a disgusting bendover artist against Nose. Not counting RG 15, Nose was already such a non-entity on clay that even the bendover artist couldn't bend low enough to lose there.
Delmugtro on the other hand tries his best against all of them, he's just not that good really. He has 2 wins against injured RAFA at USO, one against choking Nose, which he really should have lost (USO 09) and another one against a subpar choking Nose (USO 17).

So really, when the big 3 play well, the only match that is not NID in slams is Djokovic vs Mugrinka. That's it.

So on topic, Mugrinka is only slightly better than Delmugtro at his peak.
We're not talking about career accomplishments. Del Potro's "peak" occurred during the summer of 2009. So everything that's happened since is meaningless to the discussion. It was a rapid ascension and a short peak before his wrist injury. What made delpo special was his very good movement for a really big guy and his fighting spirit. The three consecutive victories over Nadal were no fluke. That delpo was a terrible matchup for Rafa since his spins and mediocre 2nd serve were right in the big man's wheelhouse. Delpo also gave Federer - playing at a high level - all he could handle in the summer and fall of 2009. Delpo was well on his way to a ranking inside the top 2 or 3 in the world at the time of his injury and almost certainly would have become even better. Unfortunately most people's memories of 10 years ago are not so vivid.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Clay: Peak Stan is way better.
Hard: They are very close, with slight edge to Stan because Stan can send down bazookas on both wings at his best, has better defense and movement.
Grass: DelPo is way better.

DelPo has higher natural tennis IQ, but even at his best his backhand is not a great shot.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Clay: Peak Stan is way better.
Hard: They are very close, with slight edge to Stan because Stan can send down bazookas on both wings at his best, has better defense and movement.
Grass: DelPo is way better.

DelPo has higher natural tennis IQ, but even at his best his backhand is not a great shot.
Young delpo covered the court really well. I'm not sure Stan was ever that much quicker - he's never been an elite mover. And delpo's backhand before his wrist injury was pretty solid... he could defend with it and hit with pace. And his backhand return was more consistent and more dangerous than Stan's. It's been so long since he used his backhand as a weapon that people tend to forget. And really even during 2009 delpo improved so much that his "peak" was really short.

Yes Wawrinka can hit with huge power, but delpo almost certainly has a bigger forehand. And at 6 or 7 inches taller, delpo could get a lot on his backhand without a huge swing or a perfect setup. I love Stan's all around game and thrilling winners, but 2009 delpo had deceptively easy power off both wings. He hit plenty of bazookas too.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts