• Equally good

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the answer is obvious, 2 GS titles.

But what I want to discuss is the differences in winning a slam and a Masters.

A slam is Bo5 compared to Bo3 at Masters. Bo5 gives more importance on your fitness whereas Bo3 gives more importance on your sharpness. On the other hand, slams are two-week events with a rest day after each match whereas Masters are one-week events and you don't have rest days after the R16 (except for two-week Masters). That gives less recovery time, sometimes it might be easier to recover from a five-setter with a rest day than from a long three-setter with less than 24 hours.

So, a slam and a Masters are different events requiring somewhat different abilities. That's why I think winning a Masters is a must for every GS winner, not only to prove not being a fluke but also to show he has those abilities. I still think it's better to have 2xGS than GS+M1000. But a GS champ never winning a Masters raises questions.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
I'm gonna have to think about this for a long time

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
OP's true intentions are clearly to argue that Ferrer > Del Potro.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OP's true intentions are clearly to argue that Ferrer > Del Potro.
Not really speaking about that but one can wonder if intense scheduling has something to do with DelPo's lack of a M1000 title. Let's not forget he ran out of gas after 1.5 sets at the IW final last year, after two 3-setters.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think MTF has a name for that.
If you meant vulturing, no, I didn't mean it. I meant the intense schedule at Masters. Just look at cases like Stan @ Madrid '13 where the scheduling heavily screwed him.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
What's better, 10 GS and nothing else or 2 GS, 3 1000's, 2 500's, 1 250, 1 CH, and 1 Future?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
:facepalm:

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
I agree that Wawrinka is overrated if that was the point of this thread.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I just had a thought! :eek: Maybe 1 Wimbledon and 1 Monte Carlo is better than 2 Australian Open??? Because Wimby is the most prestigious slam and because you'd be winning major tournaments on 2 very different surfaces. It's arguably more difficult to win Wimbledon and Monte Carlo than to win Australia twice and thus a better achievement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts