Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as Brayden Schnur raced to a 4-6 7-6 4*-3 lead (Kevin King a break down) people were willing to back Kevin King at any price possible.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bring up my post. As soon as Schnur broke for 4*-3 I was asked If i could go against Schnur. He was up a break.

At 30k usd.

·
Premium Member
9,369 Posts
I don't understand what happened, can you give more details?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand what happened, can you give more details?
Betfair exchange in the most popular gambling trading exchange in the world.

Kevin King had challenger tour match against Brayden Schnur. Going in to the match the match was priced around 50/50.

Kevin King had reached R1 and R2 in the past of the event.

Schnur, arguably the better player of the 2, had reached final of ATP 250 event.

Schnur led the match 4-6 7-6 4*-3 (by a break, meaning he was close to winning the match).

Yet gamblers had extremely good feeling that King would break back and win the match (absolutely no reason for that by the time).

It did indeed happen. The underdog backers got rewarded.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Betfair refused to pay out?
Since it is an exchange, the bets always stand. Betfair itself is not taking the bets, but rather just facilitating bets between players (similar to a stock exchange).

It just shows that some people were willing to be 30k on Schnur to break back without injuries or any reason. Also, it should be noted that Kevin King matches have not been offered or had limited odds (only match winner) for Kevin King matches recently on Bet365.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Since it is an exchange, the bets always stand. Betfair itself is not taking the bets, but rather just facilitating bets between players (similar to a stock exchange).
That's not entirely true, there's history of Betfair not only pending a bet payout due to match fixing investigation, but also voiding bets in cases where match fixing was actually proved

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Betfair exchange in the most popular gambling trading exchange in the world.

Kevin King had challenger tour match against Brayden Schnur. Going in to the match the match was priced around 50/50.

Kevin King had reached R1 and R2 in the past of the event.

Schnur, arguably the better player of the 2, had reached final of ATP 250 event.

Schnur led the match 4-6 7-6 4*-3 (by a break, meaning he was close to winning the match).

Yet gamblers had extremely good feeling that King would break back and win the match (absolutely no reason for that by the time).

It did indeed happen. The underdog backers got rewarded.

I still don't understand what "happened". What is it you are upset about?

Reactions: IBM

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Bring up my post. As soon as Schnur broke for 4*-3 I was asked If i could go against Schnur. He was up a break.

At 30k usd.
soo... handy advice?! dafuq

·
Registered
955 Posts
The main issue brought up by the OP is obviously match-fixing. However, handling match-fixing in a good way is not easy. If the evidence for match-fixing is strong enough, I guess betfair could cancel the bets. However, canceling bets without strong proof opens up for the opposite type of criticism.

If betfair is the target of the opening post, rather than the match-fixers themselves, the OP should suggest a good strategy against match-fixing that betfair could have used to avoid this particular case.

·
Registered
244 Posts
betfair has cancelled millions of dollars of bets in the past for tennis because of match fixing or suspected match fixing. in some cases, it wasnt even proven but they decided to cancel it anyways which is unacceptable.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts

It just shows that some people were willing to be 30k on Schnur to break back without injuries or any reason. Also, it should be noted that Kevin King matches have not been offered or had limited odds (only match winner) for Kevin King matches recently on Bet365.
These days I think Betfair add a lot of liquidity themselves, in this case they could lose a lot of money, but if the losses were not that big they won't care.

·
Registered
496 Posts
These days I think Betfair add a lot of liquidity themselves, in this case they could lose a lot of money, but if the losses were not that big they won't care.
I think in this case where the backing was so obviously strange, I doubt a lot of people lost too much money. When you see 30k come in on a guy who is down a break at suspiciously low odds, if you take that risk then you deserve to lose your money.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Today there was something suspicious in JP Smith - Moroni match methinks.

I mean not too much, but what caught my attention was the first set tiebreak. I was following it on the livescore. Pre-match JPS was 1.6 to win, first set was a tiebreak and it was *6-7 on Smith's serve. I know he is a good server, but in a situation in which a player is facing a setpoint and the odds on him were 1.6 pre match - the odds should be more balanced like 1.9 - 1.9 or something. While in reality @ *6-7 it was 1.25 on Smith and 3.5 on Moroni....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts