Mens Tennis Forums banner

best world cup of recent years?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which of the world cups has been the best since the world cup expanded to 32 teams in 1998?

1998: several dramatic penalty games. France gets their first world cup at home with a domination of Brazil. Zidane gets his title. Croatia deep run.

2002: Cinderella run by South Korea. Surprise Turkey 3rd place finisher. Senegal surprise. France flops. The golden Brazilian generation adds 1 more to their resume.

2006: Italy gets #4. breaks the German hearts on German soil. Dramatic penalty shootout in the final and Zidane's famous red card. All UEFA final four. No cinderella team, somewhat of a chalky world cup.

2010: Dearth of goals. Uruguay cinderella run. Ghana heartbreak. Spain grabs their world cup title with the golden generation. Italy and France flops. Host nation struggles.

which if these world cups was the best overall?

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I was too young to remember 1998, do remember watching the final. 2002 was a travesty of officiating with both Italy and Spain getting screwed against South Korea, USA got screwed against Germany though probably would've lost that game anyway. Only positive thing about 02 was probably Senegal. 2010 was another terrible Cup, especially the turgid group stage and a very boring championship team in Spain. The Suarez handball against Ghana and Gyan missed penalty along with France & Brazil's implosion only memorable moments. And Tshabalala's opening goal was pretty spectacular in addition to having maybe the greatest last name in football history.

2006 was quality though. Italy-Germany semi-final was a true epic, one of the best World Cup matches ever. Cannavaro and Buffon put on all time World Cup displays. Fabio Grosso became a world class player for one month. Zidane put on a great show and then exited football in a moment of insanity. The battle of Nuremberg between Portugal and Netherlands. Ghana-Czech Republic played a crazy game, especially in the second half. Even Tunisia and Saudi Arabia played a thrilling game.

Definitely 2006 for me.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was very young for 1998 as well (7) but I remember a couple things. I remember watching the final and I was pulling for Brazil and my dad was for France. I recall watching Scotland vs Brazil in the first game and for some reason I have a lasting image of the scottish goal keeper about to do a goal kick. I also remember seeing Croatia in the paper and it talking about their deep run. I cut out newspaper stories and clippings and made a collage for that world cup at age 7. I think this is when people knew I was going to be a sports fanatic.

oh and I remember the USA's fiasco that year

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
which of the world cups has been the best since the world cup expanded to 32 teams in 1998?

1998: several dramatic penalty games. France gets their first world cup at home with a domination of Brazil. Zidane gets his title. Croatia deep run.

2002: Cinderella run by South Korea. Surprise Turkey 3rd place finisher. Senegal surprise. France flops. The golden Brazilian generation adds 1 more to their resume.

2006: Italy gets #4. breaks the German hearts on German soil. Dramatic penalty shootout in the final and Zidane's famous red card. All UEFA final four. No cinderella team, somewhat of a chalky world cup.

2010: Dearth of goals. Uruguay cinderella run. Ghana heartbreak. Spain grabs their world cup title with the golden generation. Italy and France flops. Host nation struggles.

which if these world cups was the best overall?
You probably misunderstood Cinderella. Granted, there are several interpretations of its ultimate message/meaning but I'm pretty sure none of them is 'Corruption pays off'. Korea 2002's run was everything but a Cinderella run.

Same for Uruguay 2010 albeit for altogether different reasons, those being that Uruguay are one of the most successful nations in World Cup nations in history with a strong group of recognized top class players, nothing heroic or even noteworthy about making it past Korea and Ghana to make SFs.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
I hope this thread is sarcastic.

You do know that one of these teams (Argentina, Belgium, Switzerland and Algeria/Russia) will reach SF, right? Do I need to say how crap they are playing or are you actually watching WC matches?

I remember WC's since 94 (even if not very good, but remember watching the better and surprising teams playing and specially the final, so I can say that this year's WC is in contention for the worst one in the last 20 years, amongst with the 2002 one, I must say.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I have not seen 1998 or 2002 really so I can't comment much on them. I know 2002 had a lot of cheating with South Korea so I can assume that would make it much worse and I've seen the full match of Italy/South Korea via internet.

So out of 2006 and 2010, I think it's very obvious that 2006 is much, much better. For me at least. 2006 was just amazing, so many strong teams. Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Portugal, France, Germany, England, etc. There were all much better back then than they are now apart from Germany imo. Quality of the matches were amazing, my favourite being Italy/Germany in the SF. Zidane, he was really special in that WC. That match against Brazil...

WC 2010 on the other hand was not very interesting for me, I loved how Uruguay played, and Germany too but other that, not really great for me. I didn't see many entertaining teams. Spain were a fantastic team no doubt, there were definitely the best team, but I'm not really a fan of their style of play. Plus teams like Italy/France(the finalist in the 2006 WC) sucked big time. Argentina and England were not good either.

I hope this thread is sarcastic.

You do know that one of these teams (Argentina, Belgium, Switzerland and Algeria/Russia) will reach SF, right? Do I need to say how crap they are playing or are you actually watching WC matches?

I remember WC's since 94 (even if not very good, but remember watching the better and surprising teams playing and specially the final, so I can say that this year's WC is in contention for the worst one in the last 20 years, amongst with the 2002 one, I must say.
Dude he has not mentioned this year's WC at all, who imo is quite fun to see. The top teams are not impressive at all though, that's true. That's why there are lot of goals, quality of the big teams has decreased a lot while the smaller teams has gotten slightly better.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
I have not seen 1998 or 2002 really so I can't comment much on them. I know 2002 had a lot of cheating with South Korea so I can assume that would make it much worse and I've seen the full match of Italy/South Korea via internet.

So out of 2006 and 2010, I think it's very obvious that 2006 is much, much better. For me at least. 2006 was just amazing, so many strong teams. Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Portugal, France, Germany, England, etc. There were all much better back then than they are now apart from Germany imo. Quality of the matches were amazing, my favourite being Italy/Germany in the SF. Zidane, he was really special in that WC. That match against Brazil...

WC 2010 on the other hand was not very interesting for me, I loved how Uruguay played, and Germany too but other that, not really great for me. I didn't see many entertaining teams. Spain were a fantastic team no doubt, there were definitely the best team, but I'm not really a fan of their style of play. Plus teams like Italy/France(the finalist in the 2006 WC) sucked big time. Argentina and England were not good either.

Dude he has not mentioned this year's WC at all, who imo is quite fun to see. The top teams are not impressive at all though, that's true. That's why there are lot of goals, quality of the big teams has decreased a lot while the smaller teams has gotten slightly better.

LOL fail from me. It's very late here, so I'm kind of sleepy. Didn't properly read the thread. Now I feel like crap, lol. My opinion about this year's WC is given, nontheless, lol.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
2006 was the better Word Cup ever for me.

Before that, I was just too young to understand 100%.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
So far it's been a brilliant World Cup. Far better than 2010 for sure. 2006 was very good, we'll se how it goes in the latter stages to decide. 2002 was on par with 2010 in terms of suckiness. I was too young in 98' but I rewatched many games and it was very good as well. I'd say 1998-2006-------2010--2002 in that order, this one may be the best if it keeps the level.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
2002: Cheating South Korea gets to SF with ref full support. Surprise Turkey 3rd place finisher. Senegal surprise. France flops. The golden Brazilian generation adds 1 more to their resume.
Corrected.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Have you been watching the tournament? Everyone agrees it's been world class, to suggest it's at the level of 2002 or that 2010 was better is simply ridiculous.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
2006 was a great world cup imo

2010 was simply awful

2002 had heskey scoring so that was to be the best of the four

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
2006 probably but this one has been better so far in my opinion. Obviously the biggest part of how good a World Cup is comes down to the knockout stages so we'll see.

·
RAVE ON
18,417 Posts
None of the above.

The World Cup has been frozen in time for me since 1982, when Northern Ireland beat Spain in Valencia to win their group. They played the second half with ten men. Norman Whiteside, barely 17, is the youngest player to appear in a World Cup.

Unfortunately, that probably WAS a once in a lifetime experience.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
None of the above.

The World Cup has been frozen in time for me since 1982, when Northern Ireland beat Spain in Valencia to win their group. They played the second half with ten men. Norman Whiteside, barely 17, is the youngest player to appear in a World Cup.

Unfortunately, that probably WAS a once in a lifetime experience.
Youngest ever FA Cup finals scorer (back when the FA Cup meant something) irrc, such a talent by the sounds of it (I've only seen replays of matches involving him).

Then again 1982 also had the hideous charade of a match between Germany and Austria at the expense of Algeria at that disgusting on the pitch assault by the German keeper in the SF vs. France. One of the most brutal tackles I've seen :lol: I think the French striker was left in a coma but not even a yellow or foul was issued :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Youngest ever FA Cup finals scorer (back when the FA Cup meant something) irrc, such a talent by the sounds of it (I've only seen replays of matches involving him).

Then again 1982 also had the hideous charade of a match between Germany and Austria at the expense of Algeria at that disgusting on the pitch assault by the German keeper in the SF vs. France. One of the most brutal tackles I've seen :lol: I think the French striker was left in a coma but not even a yellow or foul was issued :facepalm:
Listed by FourFourTwo magazine as the second greatest game in World Cup history.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts