Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please rank the surfaces which are most suitable for dropshots and explain why.
thanks
discuss

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Clay IMO, the ball stops more easily.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
1- Grass: low, quick bounce

2- Clay: usually more time to hit a shot, therefore to control the dropshot. Players tend to be further in the court, thus making it a longer distance to reach the dropshot.

3- Fast hard: a lesser version of grass for dropshots

5- Slow hard: usually a bad option to hit a dropshot on this surface. They are high bouncing, and the players are positionned fairly close to the baseline.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Natural surfaces. Balls bounce much cleaner on hard.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I hit a drop shot now I can choose the surface where it'll land:

Grass, obviously.

But the surface where drop shotting is easier to do and can do more damage, also it can serve as a tactical shot:

Clay.

Pros are really fit but on my state tournaments I'll spam drop shots if I see a pusher standing far behind the baseline on clay. They will be either dead by the end of the match or they move closer to the baseline.

PS. There are some crazy athletes that wont care, tho.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
If you are good enough the surface doesn't matter that much.

It's a shot that is used as a 'surprise' shot if you wish. It is not easy. I mean I understand the game but it's a tough one to do. You sort of have to act a bit and confuse your opponent.

When done properly it could be beautiful. You kinda don't know what's coming at you :D.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
If you are good enough the surface doesn't matter that much.

It's a shot that is used as a 'surprise' shot if you wish. It is not easy. I mean I understand the game but it's a tough one to do. You sort of have to act a bit and confuse your opponent.

When done properly it could be beautiful. You kinda don't know what's coming at you :D.
Spoken like a true knowledgeable laïque, except for the first sentence, which is spot on.

Btw, Djokovic's dropshots are not bad, mostly well timed and pretty effective against your average mug. However, in terms of technique they are pretty one dimensional and ordinary, not unlike his game as a whole.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts