·
Registered
21,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(an Original idea by sfar.)

Welcome to the MTF Best Song Game!

57th Edition: Futurism

How to play?

Phase I: Send me a song via PM (preferably a YouTube link) before the deadline specified in the thread's title.
When this phase ends, the list of songs will be posted, without revealing which song was selected by whom.

Phase II: Vote for your favourite songs via PM.
<28 songs: Direct Final.
28-40 songs: Semi-Finals, followed by a Final containing the 10 most voted songs from each SF.
After (each part of) this phase, I will reveal the votes, the points tally, and the player behind each song. After the SF, only the eliminated songs will be revealed.

The song with the most points wins!

Rules:

0. Anyone can participate

1. The theme of Game #57 is Futurism
chosen by Droog

Futurism
Music that's trying to anticipate the future. Examples could include the idea of utopian and dystopian societies, transhumanism or future aesthetics. I think there should be a strong focus on music here but if you want to send something that simply has lyrics concerning the future then that's your choice.
2. You cannot send a song selected in a previous edition. One of the purposes of this game is to discover new music. For a list of the previously selected songs, check Post #3. A different version of the same song performed by a different artist/band is allowed.

3. If the same song is sent by 2+ different players, the 2nd+ will be asked to choose another one.

4. You have to vote for exactly ten songs from SF 1, ten songs from SF 2 and ten songs from Finals following SFs, in order of preference, according to the following format:

Code:
12 points: favourite song
10 points: 2nd favourite song
 8 points: 3rd favourite song
 7 points: 4th favourite song 
 6 points: ...
 5 points: ...
 4 points: ...
 3 points: ...
 2 points: ...
  1 point: 10th favourite song
In case of Direct Finals with 22-27 songs, you have to vote for twelve songs in this format:

Code:
14 points: favourite song
12 points: 2nd favourite song
10 points: 3rd favourite song
 9 points: 4th favourite song
 8 points: ...
 7 points: ... 
 6 points: ...
 5 points: ...
 4 points: ...
 3 points: ...
 2 points: ...
  1 point: 12th favourite song
5. You cannot vote for your own song.

6. Eliminated semifinalists can and should vote in the Final.

7. You are allowed to change your submission twice, and your votes once!

8. If you do not vote, your song will receive penalty points, depending on the situation: 3 points in the semifinals if you only vote in the half in which your song is featured, 12 points if you don't vote in your SF or Final. In case of Direct Finals with 22-27 songs, the penalty is 14 points.

9. If 2 or more songs are tied in points, the tie is broken according to the following:
- a song that has received a penalty loses the tie to a song that didn't;
- the song with most top points received wins the tie; if still tied the number of 2nd highest points received is compared and so on until the tie is broken (or not);
- random.org

10. The winner of the current edition can either choose a theme or propose several for the other players to discuss. If the winner does not want to exercise his right, the community will come up with a theme. In any case, all players are allowed to make suggestions.

11. The manager has to send their votes to MWW, not later than 48 hours before the respective voting deadline (of final and semifinal), else the manager's votes will not count.

Other informations:

1. There MAY BE a musically themed interview via PM, which will be sent after the Semifinal ceremony. The answers to it will be revealed during the Final ceremony.

.1st Edition / 2nd Edition
3rd Edition \ 4th Edition
5th Edition / 6th Edition
7th Edition \ 8th Edition
..9th Edition / 10th Edition
11th Edition \ 12th Edition
13th Edition / 14th Edition
15th Edition \ 16th Edition
17th Edition / 18th Edition
19th Edition \ 20th Edition
.21st Edition / 22nd Edition
23rd Edition \ 24th Edition
25th Edition / 26th Edition
27th Edition \ 28th Edition
29th Edition / 30th Edition
.31st Edition \ 32nd Edition
33rd Edition / 34th Edition
35th Edition \ 36th Edition
37th Edition / 38th Edition
39th Edition \ 40th Edition
.41st Edition / 42nd Edition
43rd Edition \ 44th Editionhttp://www.menstennisforums.com/3-non-tennis/859953-best-song-game-44-drug-music-%7C-congrats-yellow-grass-gong-master-builder.html
45th Edition / 46th Edition
47th Edition \ 48th Edition
49th Edition / 50th Edition
.51st Edition \ 52nd Edition
53rd Edition / 54th Edition
55th Edition \ 56th Edition

Exho 1
| Exho 2

·
Registered
21,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Best Song Game #57: Futurism | Submit your song until December 18th 22:00 CEST

Deadlines:

Nomination phase: Monday December 18th 22:00 CET

Votes: Sunday January 7th 20:00 CET

Players: (24)

Ace Pounder
aerosmash
Awka Liwen
Chris Kuerten
citizen_insane
Fatima
Featherer
HoorayBeer
Ilkae
Ilovetheblues_86
JesusG
Kat_YYZ
Kreso Christian
MWW
PortlandTimbers
ProudSerb
Redolent
redshift36188
Rob & Stephen
Roger the Dodger
scarecrows
Spectator75
Synesthetic
TopFedFan

Bold = Voted​

·
Registered
21,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: Best Song Game #57: Futurism | Submit your song until December 18th 22:00 CEST

Past winners​

·
Registered
21,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Direct final playlist

1. Drexciya - Andreaen Sand Dunes
2. Makina Girgir - Alpha
3. Arrigo Barnabé - Tubarões Voadores
4. Placebo - Bionic
5. Anthony Rother - Sex With The Machines
6. Daniel Lesden - Technological Singularity
7. Laurie Anderson - Another Day in America
8. Karlheinz Stockhausen - Cosmic Pulses
9. Linea Aspera - Synapse
10. Captain Panic & Systek - Monolith
11. CocoSori - 절묘해 (Exquisite!)
12. Jean-Jacques Perrey - E.V.A.
13. Marvin Gaye - A Funky Space Reincarnation
14. Model 500 - Future
15. John Lennon - Imagine
16. Vella Lovell - The Moment Is Me
17. 2814 - Eyes Of The Temple
18. Mssingno - XE2
19. Marvin the Paranoid Android - Marvin
20. Brain - D.I.X.O.
21. Franco Battiato - Beta
22. Magma - De Futura
23. Sons of Pythagoras - Eye of Storm
24. Avenged Sevenfold - Exist
Audio Files

https://www.sendspace.com/file/wecdvl

Results

·
Registered
21,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Please note that the first voting period will be extra long, so it won't be a problem if you don't have time around Christmas and New Year's :hug:

I'm thinking January 7th for the ceremony.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,242 Posts

@Chris Kuerten In rule 4, either Finals need to be added in the sentence or the mention of the SFs need to be removed.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

Hope this thread won't get burried.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts

The future is to live underground after the apocalypse. :shrug:
We have an H. G. Wells fan amongst us. :worship:

·
Registered
3,134 Posts

Dream big people!

This 1910 illustration by French artist Villemard eerily predicts the dynamics of BSG.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

Might have to skip this one. :(

·
Registered
21,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Might have to skip this one. :(
We understand if you are still in emotional pain from the previous edition :hug:

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,709 Posts

We have an H. G. Wells fan amongst us. :worship:
I prefer Orwell's 1984.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts

I prefer Orwell's 1984.
Nineteen Eighty-Four is probably the novel with the most reread value for me. Yevgeny Zamyatin's We is an absolute must to read in the dystopian genre as well.

·
52,709 Posts

Nineteen Eighty-Four is probably the novel with the most reread value for me. Yevgeny Zamyatin's We is an absolute must to read in the dystopian genre as well.
it's so classic and ahead of its time. Hard to match really, I put it up there in my favourite works with Frank Herbert's Dune (which to me shits on the entire Star Wars saga) as a close second (though their intents are different, obviously).
what do you think of the film V is for Vendetta, I couldn't help make an association between the two :lol:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

I know you didn't ask me, but I didn't like V for Vendetta.

·
52,709 Posts

Well it's tricky to pull off something the scale described in 1984. Personally I don't think they quite achieved what they wanted with it but it I found it riveting for the concept even if it felt a bit manufactured at times (hence the flow suffered) but that same manufacturing gives it some awkwardness needed, however shallow that may have been. It thrived more on overt symbolism than atmosphere (needs both really to succeed), and probably more action than tension, unfortunately. For one I never fully grasped the intense 'threat' of the totalitarian government, which is probably the greatest let down in the film. But it is still a decent one all up which I'd recommend.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts

Star Wars is for children. Its sad America hasn't grown out of it.

George Lucas' earliest feature was his dystopian take called THX 1138. Supreme effects and design for 1971. Last quarter of that film was really disturbing to watch IIRC. Crashed at the box office. Lessons were learnt. Rest is history.

1 - 20 of 347 Posts