Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Banned
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to recall him having difficulty with Roddick as well as Isner's recent upset.

For someone with the best return of serve of all time, I would not expect him to struggle.

Perhaps Djokovic returning Nadal's WTA serve made people think his return is better than it is?

Or is he just a big 2nd serve returner like Agassi?

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Because he's an aggressive returner and not a moonballer.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
I don't think he is necessarily bad at returning big servers, but it seems that he just gets really frustrated against big servers being unable to put a return in play or having no play on a serve at all which ends up putting a little pressure on himself. Federer does a bit better blocking huge servers and he doesn't seem to get too down on himself when facing a big server which I think is really key.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
Djokovic likes to hit the return of serve and Roddick/Isner are just about fast enough to rush him.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I seem to recall him having difficulty with Roddick as well as Isner's recent upset.

For someone with the best return of serve of all time, I would not expect him to struggle.

Perhaps Djokovic returning Nadal's WTA serve made people think his return is better than it is?

He does not have the best return. Murray does. But Murray has no brain for tennis. He chokes on his own serve

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Djoker is one of the most aggressive returners when taking a full swing. That doesn't make him the best returner. Roger has way more versatility as does Murray.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Murray is a better returner, especially of big serves. Djokovic is consistently aggressive off the return, which isn't always the best play against big servers. Djokovic is better at incorporating the return into an aggressive point while Murray sometimes hits a great return but doesn't take advantage, and allows the point to go back to neutral.

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
:lol:
Djokovic the best returner ever, that's a huge exaggeration.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I don't think Djokovic's return has ever been that amazing. Its pretty great obviously, but he's not the best of all time.

His problem against big servers is his mentality, he lets himself become frustrated.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Novak has a sweet spot for servers.. He's great with guys who hit from 115-135, and his short compact bh can really put a tremendous amount of those balls back into play at a high consistency right in the servers feet. Higher than that, and he has to lunge for them, which is typically why 1handed backhands often do better against the 1st serve (see eg Henman).

So even though he's probably the best overall returner (up there with Murray imo), he's not the best on tour against the huge servers. I'd say Murray, Ferrer, Federer once upon a time, and a few others can deal with them better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't think he is necessarily bad at returning big servers, but it seems that he just gets really frustrated against big servers being unable to put a return in play or having no play on a serve at all which ends up putting a little pressure on himself. Federer does a bit better blocking huge servers and he doesn't seem to get too down on himself when facing a big server which I think is really key.
Excellent oppinion...I watch Nole since 2004...You are spot on...Only point of view You didnt mention is: He has serious mental issues-he is such perfectionist that something like big serve from other side puts very negative picture of himself in his own eyes, that frustration grows and grows with every lost point.That is my oppinion-and, as a big admirer of his achievments,that is one thing I could not understand all these years...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Like servers, returners have different styles and sometimes there are poor match-ups. Agassi was widely acclaimed as perhaps the best returner of the game, but he was not that great against some big servers, particularly Pete. Tim Henman, OTOH, was great against huge servers, but struggled against steady kick servers. etc.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Because Isner hit around 70% first serves in against Djokovic. In the first set Isner had an extreme percentage of 76%. It is even for a great returner difficult to return Isners's first serve. If Djokovic plays Isner more often I think he would get a better reading of the serve. But he hadn't play Isner since 2010.
Isner is a difficult player for everyone to play against. Especially if he plays over 70% 1st serves in. He also beat Federer a couple of weeks ago and did well agaisnt Nadal at the French Open 2011.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Fed in his prime was the best BIG serve returner on first serves EVER and the hardest to ace. He's still pretty damn good now.

Djokovic is the most CONSISTENT returner. Isner said he purposely took more off the serve vs roger because that goes right into rogers game of blocking big returns back.

Anyways, isner got broken twice by both fed and nole. But fed won a higher percentage of points on both of isner first and second serves than nole did. People forget how well fed can still return. Forget about his prime when he was ridiculous returning first serves when he needed it.

Isner served 73% first serves today by the way and 74% yesterday so fed did a great job and actually had almost double the number of aces as isner did.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
:lol:
Djokovic the best returner ever, that's a huge exaggeration.
no it's not. he is ONE OF the best returner ever. yeah, Murray is pretty good too. and excuse me, if you are so smart, who is a better returner right now? rubbish. you know nothing about the game, whatever....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Djokovic is a very aggressive returner, but his block return is not all that great. Nadal, Federer and Murray probably have just as good or better block returns. Sometimes you need to have a more defensive mindset returning, simply because the guy on the opposite side is serving fantastic. Federer is often too defensive on his returns, because he knows that he can probably win the point by getting it back to neutral. That has been Roger's achilles heel against the top guys in the past few years because Roger is not any longer commanding neutral rallies against those.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
no it's not. he is ONE OF the best returner ever. yeah, Murray is pretty good too. and excuse me, if you are so smart, who is a better returner right now? rubbish. you know nothing about the game, whatever....
Nothing to do with right now. Sure he is one of the better ones, and arguably most effective one right now especially when it comes to play the big boys, but I'd put my money on some other players when returning serve, especially huge serves.

Djokovic is a very aggressive returner, but his block return is not all that great. Nadal, Federer and Murray probably have just as good or better block returns. Sometimes you need to have a more defensive mindset returning, simply because the guy on the opposite side is serving fantastic. Federer is often too defensive on his returns, because he knows that he can probably win the point by getting it back to neutral. That has been Roger's achilles heel against the top guys in the past few years because Roger is not any longer commanding neutral rallies against those.
What? Nadal is as well a pretty poor returner in terms of facing big servers.. Federer is too defensive normally against weaker or spun serves, but you have to say he is pretty much the best in the business against huge first servers.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts