nadal
nieminen
malisse
saretta
fish

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I have to think Malisse takes the cake, unless I'm missing somebody obvious. It's hard to tell just how talented some of the younger guys are, but Xavier has already showed he has the potential to be very very good - he just isn't.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Well in terms of talent, the X-Man must top the list, but in terms of mental toughness and the player who is the likeliest to claim a title in the near future, I'd have to go for Nieminen - he's highest-ranked, he's been in four career finals, he's a strong and determined competitor, which is more than you can say for Greaseball Malisse... I don't want to suggest that I dislike the man or anything, but somebody call me the moment he wins a title, I reckon we'll have to wait a long time...

And don't forget Vince, of course - how fitting that the man dubbed a serial loser and a quintessential journeyman in fact has nary a title to his name.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Jarkko is actually the highest ranked player without a title.. followed closely by Spadea if memory serves...

I believe Malisse has 4 career finals himself, no? Mind you, I wouldnt' call him a determined competitor ;)

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I'm not sure about Malisse, I know he had a couple in America two or three years ago, but he hasn't had anything since then - and he's never made the final of a big tournament. Nieminen hasn't either, but he's claimed some pretty big scalps along the way, and apart from anything else he just looks hungry for the wins.

Malisse... well, there have probably been worse performances, but I don't think I've ever seen such a bad case of tanking as I saw last year when he played Roddick in Basel. Roddick was playing pretty averagely himself, but Malisse just donated him points left, right and centre... he's the only man I've ever heard of who once tanked the final set of a match simply because he didn't like the way the opponent was hitting the ball and decided not to bother.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Unquestionably it's Malisse.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Malisse of course. This guy is so talented, he should have at least 2 titles to his name. Hes had a few good opportunities to win titles but hasnt been able to come up with the goods. If he gets it together mentally he should be able to win a few.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
malisse´s last final was in 2001 in delray beach
that´s a long time

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Xavi

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
I'd also mention Wayne Arthurs. It's a bit surprising to me that he only has one singles final to his name. With his serve, I'd think he would have won a grass court title in his career - and maybe he will one day. But time is running out.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
OMG, I really don't know that Xavier doesn't win the title yet. He was nice to me in Perth, Hopman Cup.

Hope he will be taking the title soon.
C'mon Xavier :hearts:

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
arthurs should have, at least, one title playing on grass

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Arthurs would have a title if there were more grass tournaments i think. There are currently very few, so its surprising to me that he chose to play on European clay after Wimbledon instead of going to Newport.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts