Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Kuerten

Votes: 2 4.8%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 slams seems to be the magical number for a player to be considered as an all time great. Becker and Edberg with 6 slams each. But who do you think is the best player ever with less than 6 slams?

• Kuerten - 3 slams
  • Rafter - 2 slams
  • Courier - 4 slams
  • Ashe - 3 slams
  • Kodes - 3 slams
  • Nastase - 2 slams
  • Murray - 2 slams
  • Kafelnikov - 2 slams
  • Safin - 2 slams
  • Hewitt - 2 slams
  • Vilas - 4 slams

Notable one slam winners: Roddick, Wawrinka, Moya, Ferrero, Del Potro, Stich, Cash, Noah

I would say Jim Courier, He won 4 slams, was ranked world number one in an era that included Becker, Edberg, Sampras, Agassi and Wilander

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Vilas, not even close. Has the massive clay wins record, has the clay slam wins record (75), on top of 4 slams.

Second I would rank Hewitt, he was number 1 for a calendar year.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I think Murray deserves a shout out for how consistent he has been and how many slam finals he made.

He would easily be sitting at 5 slams minimum if Federer, Nadal and Djokovic weren't on his way.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I think Murray deserves a shout out for how consistent he has been and how many slam finals he made.

He would easily be sitting at 5 slams minimum if Federer, Nadal and Djokovic weren't on his way.
Murray has a long way to go, but it's certainly possible for him to challenge the best player never to reach number 1.

Only Kodes (411 wins), and Vilas have more slams. Murray has more wins.

Vilas has 4 slam wins, 4 slam finals, 4 slam SF and 7 more Slam Quarterfinals. Vilas has two more wins, while Murray has 3 more Semifinals and 2 more finals. It's close. Ranking pointwise, it's very close.

The big difference is the 30+ titles that Vilas has. I don't think Murray will catch him, but we shall see.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Courier and Vilas. Obviously.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
It's not Courier, Courier had a window of 2 years where he made finals and won all his big titles (1991-1993) and then not much else. He didn't have a consistency throughout his career and in that regard he's like Hewitt.

I would put Vilas on top for now, 4 slams plus 60 titles throughout his career.

·
The special one
14,807 Posts
Grass-Murray
Clay-For me vilas is the best player even though kuerten and courier have more rg titles.

Overall I would say vilas closely followed by courier, Murray will however equal if not surpass both before he retires

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not Courier, Courier had a window of 2 years where he made finals and won all his big titles (1991-1993) and then not much else. He didn't have a consistency throughout his career and in that regard he's like Hewitt.

I would put Vilas on top for now, 4 slams plus 60 titles throughout his career.

Courier had 5 good years and reached finals in all slams. Vilas had also 5 good years, was never good on hard courts and won most of his titles on clay

·
Registered
21,632 Posts
Vilas without any contest

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
Murray by miles. I doubt he will be eligible for this list in a few years time though.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Probably Vilas. I can't say for certain as I haven't seen that much of his era. Murray has the opportunity to surpass them all though.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Courier for me.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Actually scratch that. John Newcombe

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,453 Posts
Vilas and Courier by quite a margin. Andy has the potential to be above all of them at the end of his career however.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts