Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which matches that your favourite player or players lost sticks out to you as still being a phenomenal performance that still made you proud, despite perhaps not having the outcome you wanted? Cheers :)

I would say for Murray the AO 2012 is an obvious example, Wimbledon 2013 for Del Potro and AO 2013 for Stan. Interestingly all matches against Nole! But all 3 gave epic performances in those matches and had nothing to be ashamed of.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My fav has never lost a match where he played his best :p

·
Registered
21,270 Posts
If we are going by best performance, off the top my head, it would be Federer/Safin in the AO 2005.

Another one would be Nadal/Federer in AO 2009.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My fav has never lost a match where he played his best :p
Not necessarily playing their absolute BEST tennis, but still playing a great match!

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
David Ferrer RG2013 final. I think that match mentally destroyed David :( He isn't half the player he was during those prime 2 weeks.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Probably AO 09 Final. Fed played really good, shouldn't have gone down 1-2 in sets, and then gave up in the fifth..

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
David Ferrer RG2013 final. I think that match mentally destroyed David :( He isn't half the player he was during those prime 2 weeks.
Always has to be a joker in the pack, trust it to be you :p Your posts do make me laugh! That was a compliment by the way :)

·
Administrator
14,824 Posts
As a Raonic fan three come to mind. His marathon match at the London Olympics against Tsonga. His 5 setter 4th round USOpen match against Gasquet last year Finally his SF match in Rome against Djokovic this year.

·
Your visions will happen
47,121 Posts
Wimbledon 07 and AO 12 finals, also USO 11

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Tsonga : AO 2013 vs Federer (such an underrated match, easily one of the best of 2013 IMO) and RG 2012 vs Djokovic (Nole hit a great volley while MP down, although he missed the same against Wawrinka on MP at AO 2014)

Federer : USO 2011 vs Djokovic (luck chose Nole as the winner), Wimbledon 2011 vs Tsonga (11 UEs in 5 sets) and Rome 2006 (definitely the 'best' Fed's loss)

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For Tsonga I would say AO 2013 was definitely up there. That match was phenomenal quality from both guys. Obviously Jo played very well against Djoko at the 2012 FO as well.

I feel like Reeshard has had a lot of near misses, matches where he played great but just got pipped to the post.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
For Tsonga I would say AO 2013 was definitely up there. That match was phenomenal quality from both guys. Obviously Jo played very well against Djoko at the 2012 FO as well.

I feel like Reeshard has had a lot of near misses, matches where he played great but just got pipped to the post.
Maybe AO 2008 and WTF 2011 finals as well for Tsonga.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Djokovic : Madrid 2009 vs. Nadal
Nadal : AO 2012 vs. Djokovic
Federer : Rome 2006 vs. Nadal
Murray : AO 2012 vs. Djokovic
Hewitt : Cincinnati 2007 vs. Federer
del Potro : Wimbledon 2013 vs. Djokovic
Wawrinka : AO 2013 vs. Djokovic
Tsonga : RG 2012 vs. Djokovic
Ferrer : Wimbledon 2011 vs. Tsonga