Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Jimmy Connors

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first thread on MTF so don't kill me.

There is an obvious difference between playing ability and actual acheivements. For instance Rios/Nalbandian never won a slam but Thomas Johansson did? :confused:

With reference to the WTA, Serena Williams has a low number of slam's compared to the greats but is cited by many commentators, such as McEnroe, as having an equal playing ability when peaked.

So this thread is for us to discusss who is the best player when 'in the zone' or at their 'peak performance'.

The options are (open era only):

- JesusFed
- Marat Safin
- Pete Sampras
- Andre Agassi
- John McEnroe
- Bjorn Borg
- Rod Laver
- Jimmy Connors
- Ivan Lendl

Please state otherwise if their is a glaring ommission.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
My only question is what the hell is Safin doing in that poll with all those players :lol:

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
The others may have more titles, slams, spent more weeks at #1 but Marat has that quality that puts him above the rest. :p

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If we take 2005 aussie open as Marat peaked I think JesusFed of 2006 early 07 would defeat that Safin...

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
This is my first thread on MTF so don't kill me.

There is an obvious difference between playing ability and actual acheivements. For instance Rios/Nalbandian never won a slam but Thomas Johansson did? :confused:

With reference to the WTA, Serena Williams has a low number of slam's compared to the greats but is cited by many commentators, such as McEnroe, as having an equal playing ability when peaked.

So this thread is for us to discusss who is the best player when 'in the zone' or at their 'peak performance'.

The options are (open era only):

- JesusFed
- Marat Safin
- Pete Sampras
- Andre Agassi
- John McEnroe
- Bjorn Borg
- Rod Laver
- Jimmy Connors
- Ivan Lendl

Please state otherwise if their is a glaring ommission.

one of several questions I have is how the hell you consider "in the zone" and "at your peak" the same thing.

In the zone is when you just on fire during a match, in which case the obvious answer to that is Fernando Gonzalez who isn't even an option.

At your peak is the time (like at what age) you were playing your best tennis. Current Federer is better than anyone else's best period of tennis.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Exactly how do you determine the players in your poll?

I mean, Safin has 2 slams and all the others have at least 8 and are mostly considered tennis legends, why is he on this list? :rolls:
Or are you implying that safin "at his peak" is comparable to those other guys :spit:

You should change Safin and put Becker, Edberg or Wilander if you want the poll to make sense :lol:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one of several questions I have is how the hell you consider "in the zone" and "at your peak" the same thing.

In the zone is when you just on fire during a match, in which case the obvious answer to that is Fernando Gonzalez who isn't even an option.

At your peak is the time (like at what age) you were playing your best tennis. Current Federer is better than anyone else's best period of tennis.
Sorry I mean in the zone then...a player's best performance.

Exactly how do you determine the players in your poll?

I mean, Safin has 2 slams and all the others have at least 8 and are mostly considered tennis legends, why is he on this list? :rolls:
Or are you implying that safin "at his peak" is comparable to those other guys :spit:

You should change Safin and put Becker, Edberg or Wilander if you want the poll to make sense :lol:
Yes I am implying that...have you ever seen Safin at his best? He's probably not capable of producing it anymore but it was atleast second best of this era...

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
Sorry I mean in the zone then...a player's best performance.

Yes I am implying that...have you ever seen Safin at his best? He's probably not capable of producing it anymore but it was atleast second best of this era...

that does make some sense. Safin-Sampras at the U.S. Open was one of the more ridiculous things I've ever seen.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fed is winning comfortably so far however.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Federer. The AO match against Roddick that was his peak and I can guarantee no one would have beaten him on that day.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Is this even any debate? Federer all the way.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
The only answer to that would be someone who has great strokes on both wings, a good serve and good volleys because those are the things which would become good when 'in the zone'. Gonzalez doesn't have such a good backhand, Federer or Safin would both outplay Gonzalez at their respective peaks as they have all of the things I mentioned.

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
The only answer to that would be someone who has great strokes on both wings, a good serve and good volleys because those are the things which would become good when 'in the zone'. Gonzalez doesn't have such a good backhand, Federer or Safin would both outplay Gonzalez at their respective peaks as they have all of the things I mentioned.

Federer would

Safin would get destroyed

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No way would peak safin be destroyed by peak Gonzalez...seriously.

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
Federer would

Safin would get destroyed

and that criteria is incorrect too. Gonzo's forehand when in the zone (which is what is being discussed here) would overcome an all-court game of most everyone (not Federer of course).

And when in the zone, Gonzo's backhand is more than serviceable. Put in the tape of any of his matches at the Aussie, or watch this.

Keep in mind we're talking in the zone, not in general. When in the zone, Nando beats anyone other than Federer, mark it down.

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
No way would peak safin be destroyed by peak Gonzalez...seriously.

i'm talking about in the zone, not peak (differences mentioned above)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts