Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
49,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year we had a great thread or was it a series where we discussed the best matches in the last 2010-2019 decade, most were 5 sets and the few that were Bo3 were 3 sets

But what about really great matches that only went 4 sets in a best of 5? Or all time great 2 set best of 3 matches?

Olympics F 2016 Murray def. Delpo in 4, one of the best 4 set matches ever

USO 2011 F Djokovic def. Nadal in 4, ridiculously high level

Olympics 2016 1st round Delpo def. Djokovic in 2, high quality, high emotions

Olympics 2012 SF Murray def. Djokovic in 2, also high quality and high emotions

Can you think or name any other high level matches since 2000 where the match did not go the distance?

·
Registered
29,418 Posts
Söderling vs Federer US Open QF 2009.

Soderling got destroyed in the first two sets by a Federer masterclass but Robin battled back into the match, and sets 3 and 4 were fucking amazing. Federer just barely strong enough though in the end.
Soderling finally beat Federer in RG 2010, another amazing 4 set match.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,289 Posts
I posted this in another thread but Nishikori vs Nadal AO 2014 was very well contested, one of the most interesting straight sets grand slam matches I've seen. For reference Nadal had romped through his R128-R32 with relative ease but was forced to play over 3 hours to earn his QF ticket. Because of this match, I had belief that Kei would have a good shot at rising to top 10 if he could play like this consistently.

Nadal then had a pretty good 4 set contest with Dimitrov in the QF. Dimitrov served very well but losing both TBs much like Kei did in R16 decisive.

Also liked Nishikori vs Almagro for a first round at AO 2015. It was straight sets but produced rather high quality rallies and big shots from both players, especially on the BH side.

Djokovic vs Stepanek also fun Wimbledon 2014, Djokovic seemed in cruise control up 2 sets to love before Stepanek started to fire up winning the 3rd in a TB and pushing to another TB in the 4th set.

Nadal - Brown also nice at Wimbledon (though highlights mostly on the Brown side).

·
54,289 Posts
Before I forget, Nishioka vs Nadal at Laver Cup deserves mention, Nishioka really made Nadal sweat out there and came up with some amazing shots, especially passing ones, under pressure, really giving Nadal a taste of his own medicine. I was reminded of Jimmy Connors. A shame his serve was the weak point, should have taken a set!

As an example see point at 1:04, Nishioka steals a point in Nadal style.

·
54,289 Posts
First that comes to mind:

Djokovic had set the bar so high, but the old dog still managed to jump it.
can't see the clip (geoblocked, I'm guessing Federer def Djokovic Shanghai 2014 or maybe a WTF match?)

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Thiem Nadal AO 20?

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Some great matches given here.

Yes, USO'11 final always comes to my mind as one of the best matches (level wise)
Olympics'16 final was great as well
RG'11 semi had great points as well, Federer playing one of his best ever clay matches.
I also enjoyed very much WTF'12 final - one of the best 2-setters I watched.
Then again, my memory can be deceiving. I remember my general impressions but forget match details quickly.

Reactions: Johnny Groove
1 - 20 of 61 Posts