Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which was the best slam in 2011?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have another poll here on GM for those who love these 'post-slam threads' :D

Which slam did you find was the most interesting one? And not only talking about the 2nd week but the first week as well.
Of course there wasn't one best slam because everyone has his/her favs and disliked players.
Try not to include things like scheduling or weather (it was a mess of course at the Open) but only match quality.

Personally, my rank would be like this:

1. French Open - best GS match of the year, some other dramas as well (Fognini - Montanes, Wawrinka - Tsonga, Berrer - Murray could also be called a drama) and I loved that surface (generally not a clay court tennis fan)
2. Wimbledon - also some good matches like Söderling vs Hewitt early on, and the big 4 were also tested in the earlier rounds so that was also quite interesting. Then in the 2nd week we had Tsonga vs Fed or Nadal vs Del Potro, but the thing it separates from the FO is an epic semi or final
3. US Open - didn't enjoy it that much this year, many guys injured / out of form... Federer almost 'saved' it with that epic against Nole, but then Nadal would have one more slam now most probably

Australian Open is out of my list because I don't get to watch many matches there. During the day session I sleep and during the night I'm at school here in Germany so it wouldn't make sense for me just to go by results / stats.

Now discuss / vote :)

·
28,739 Posts
I voted the French, but I also really liked the US Open. The difference to me was the French had good matches throughout, whereas the US Open was more SF, F.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Rg > Uso > W >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ao

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Australia overall was good as it usually is, while Roland Garros was exciting at the end. It played too fast, and b/c of that the first week play was a joke. Wimbledon sucked and the US Open, as it always is was a complete mess.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I voted French and I loved the final- my favorite moment of
2011 by far!
If, however I'm forced to consider the rest of the matches then (excluding the final) I rather enjoyed the us open. *DelPo vs. Simon, FedTard vs. Djoko, Isner vs. Murray, Tsonga vs. Fish, Young vs. Wawrinka,*

French / US Open
Wimbledon*
Australian*

·
Registered
14,666 Posts
French Open

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I can't believe the US Open received as many votes as Wimbledon and twice as many as the AO! I'm sure people look at events with overwhelming bias to things in very recent memory. This time last week you were all complaining about how bad the US Open was with all the injuries and the poor management of the rain delays.

Anyway, for me Roland Garros maintained by interest throughout the two weeks, so I choose this despite my opinion that it will win this poll as much for being the only slam the Rafa won/Nole did not win as for it's actual content... *sigh*

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Roland Garros.

Federer defeats Djokovic.

Federer starts hitting the ball ridiculously hard and still can't force errors out of a ridiculously defensive Nadal that somehow comes back to win the first set.

I did enjoy Djokovic's Australian Open run though. His return of serve and Federer's poor serving, help him dispatch Federer in an annoying yet comfortable 3 set win. Prior to that he demolishes Berdych and really freezes him with his fast pace balls. In the final, he lays the smackdown on Andy Murray, in 3 sets, as I predicted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts