Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
was just thinking if anyone in my lifetime has ever performed like agassi at over 30 years of age, and couldn't think of a single player. that then made me think....

best aged under 20 years: becker
20 to 30 years: sampras
30 plus years: agassi

thoughts anyone? for me the biggest question is the best under 20. and for me it was becker or nadal....and i went for boris. he deserves an accolade when you consider the hairstyle he had back in those days! :eek:

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
About the same, but replace Becker with Borg for the under-20 category.

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
If Rafa wins the US Open he deserves the under 20 category. Other than that, can't complain with your chosen ones.

Although Rusedski is making a late surge for the over 30's title :p

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Well, it's just a question of numbers: they both won 2 Slams in their teens, Borg at RG and Becker at Wimbledon, but Borg won 16 titles as a teenager (the most to date) compared to Becker's 12 and won them on all surfaces, something that Becker never managed in his entire career. Neither was no. 1 until some years later.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
adee-gee said:
If Rafa wins the US Open he deserves the under 20 category. Other than that, can't complain with your chosen ones.
He needs another 5 titles after that before June next year to get the under 20 award. :p

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sjengster said:
Well, it's just a question of numbers: they both won 2 Slams in their teens, Borg at RG and Becker at Wimbledon, but Borg won 16 titles as a teenager (the most to date) compared to Becker's 12 and won them on all surfaces, something that Becker never managed in his entire career. Neither was no. 1 until some years later.
like i said.... :worship:

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Two French, but as I said above, he had also won titles on all surfaces. Interestingly enough, the first title he won after turning 20 was his first Wimbledon.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
federer express said:
like i said.... :worship:
Like I say: go and take a look at my title thread in the Statistics forum, those hours of slogging are for occasions like this. ;)

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Sjengster said:
Two French, but as I said above, he had also won titles on all surfaces. Interestingly enough, the first title he won after turning 20 was his first Wimbledon.
Surely if Rafa wins the US he'd have a legitamite claim, even if he hadn't won as many titles. Maybe he'll win the Aussie as well to put it beyond all doubt ;)

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Yes, it'd be touch and go. I think he stands a good chance of reaching 16 titles by his 20th birthday, even if he doesn't win another Slam until next year's RG (which would be the day after, I think). One thing's for sure, both will be remembered as incredibly dominant claycourt players, although Nadal has a long way to go to match Borg's achievements in Paris.

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
adee-gee said:
Surely if Rafa wins the US he'd have a legitamite claim, even if he hadn't won as many titles. Maybe he'll win the Aussie as well to put it beyond all doubt ;)
now that my brain is out of reverse and back in neutral where it spends most days, you cannot dispute borg. not only do the numbers support him but the achievement of winning both the french and wimbledon (which sampras, mcenroe, lendl, becker, edberg and others never managed) by such a young age makes him a clear winner.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Yes, but he wasn't a teenager when he won Wimbledon.

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sjengster said:
Yes, but he wasn't a teenager when he won Wimbledon.
true...he just missed out on that. at the other end of the scale though, maybe i was premature in declaring agassi the winner. did i overlook tati rascon??

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Not to mention the sanguine one.

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
I think Goran deserves a mention in the 30+ just for his remarkable win at Wimby when he looked like the worst player in the world the week before at Queens when he lost to the karate kid :)

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sjengster said:
Not to mention the sanguine one.
my brain has slipped back into reverse again. that a reference to rascon looking like a blood-thirsty pirate/dracula? or a reference to my much publicised admiration for davide's game?

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
adee-gee said:
I think Goran deserves a mention in the 30+ just for his remarkable win at Wimby when he looked like the worst player in the world the week before at Queens when he lost to the karate kid :)
possibly the most surprising achievement by an over 30 in the mens game...

·
Registered
5 Posts
federer express said:
best aged under 20 years: becker
What about Wilander? Born in 1964:
SINGLES CAREER TITLES (33): 1982--Barcelona, Bastad, Geneva, Roland Garros; 1983--Aix-En-Provence, Australian Open, Barcelona, Bastad, Cincinnati, Geneva, Lisbon, Monte Carlo, Stockholm; 1984--Australian Open, Barcelona, Cincinnati; 1985--Bastad, Boston, Roland Garros; 1986--Brussels, Cincinnati; 1987--Boston, Brussels, Indianapolis, Monte Carlo, Rome; 1988--Australian Open, Cincinnati, Key Biscayne, Palermo, Roland Garros, US Open; 1990--Itaparica FINALIST (26): 1981--Bangkok; 1982--Basel, Brussels, Stockholm; 1983--Guaruja, Roland Garros; 1984--Milan, Monte Carlo, Stockholm; 1985--Australian Open, Barcelona, Brussels, Cincinnati, Geneva, Monte Carlo, Tokyo Indoor; 1986--Bastad, Boca West, Stockholm; 1987--Barcelona, Masters, Roland Garros, US Open; 1989--Boston; 1990--Lyon; 1996--Pinehurst

DOUBLES CAREER TITLES (7): 1994--Prague, Santiago; 1986--Wimbledon; 1985--Rome, Philadelphia; 1984--Geneva; 1983--Bastad FINALIST (11): 1987--Boston, Indianapolis; 1986--Monte Carlo, US Open; 1985--Cincinnati, Masters; 1984--Monte Carlo, Australian Open; 1983--Geneva, Brussels; 1982--Bastad

In my opinion, we should at least mention him... :hatoff:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts