Best venue in Europe to watch tennis except Slams

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to visit a European city to watch an ATP tournament live :sport:
That's why, having never visited any of those, I'm asking for an advice: which venue is the best for watching tennis?

Please set aside here any extracurricular activities possible within the city, except for very basic: I mean accomodation (can play a part in Monte Carlo for instance)

Which tennis stadium in terms of spectating after a tennis match is top of the pile?

P.S. My inkling is that it should be Rome

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Umag...

Queens club is crap dude

·
Registered
882 Posts
My recommendation would be Rome or the ATP Finals, but it really depends on what you are looking for.

The ATP Finals at the O2 Arena in London had the best atmosphere of any tournament I have attended, and because it is an indoor tournament you don't have to worry about rain delays etc. You are also guaranteed to see 2 top ten players in every match there. However, this does come at a price - tickets tend to be more expensive than most other tournaments, and London is an expensive city when it comes to hotels too. Also, as it is the last event of the year sometimes the top guys are tired and the quality of matches can suffer.

If price is a concern then I would suggest Rome as tickets will be cheaper than the ATP Finals and the city is much cheaper than London too.

Personally I wouldn't recommend Stuttgart or Madrid - the former is such a quick court and tends to attract so many big servers that you'll never see any rallies, and the latter had extremely loud and disrespectful fans in my opinion.

Queens, Halle and Monte Carlo would be the middle options for me - better than Madrid/Stuttgart but not as good as Rome/ATP Finals. Queens tends to get a reasonably well-rounded set of players because a lot of the top guys want to head to London to prepare for Wimbledon. Of course if you are keen to see Roger play then Halle is the better bet than Queens Club.

I've never been to Basel or Barcelona and don't know enough about them to comment.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Madrid was the best tournament I've been to, including the slams. Reason is the three show courts in the 'box' are good, especially the smaller two (I think I've got the numbers right) which are very intimate and have a great atmosphere. All have roofs that can be closed so weather isn't an issue but the main reason is the outdoor courts. There aren't that many of them so only the seeded players get to use any of them for practice and they often hit against each other. Other players have to practice around town.this means you get to watch the best players in the world hitting from a few yards away. There aren't huge crowds on the practice courts (except when rafa is practising) so it is easy to see the best players in the world right up close. Loved it. My kids got signatures from 12 of the top 20 and got to keep tennis balls they had been playing with from djokovic, thiem, cilic, raonic etc. V cool tennis experience. That said the best court to me looks like it would be pietrangeli in Rome. Would love to watch some tennis there.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
honestly i'd have to say Halle. after that tokyo and then vienna. those are my top 3 outside slams.
Halle is Great as a tournament but there is not much else to do in this village though big cities are not too far away.
Tokyo is not in Europe
I don’t want to say anything about vienna since I’m biased but if you want a nice city trip with an atp event that also has affordable ticket prices, you can’t really go wrong with Vienna

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Been only in Halle. Great stadium, roof is there if it rains, chance to see some grasscourt action. Daily ticket was 30e for R2 and R3. Town is nice and cozy, nothing huge, but the overall feeling is of a tennis oasis. And the rooster is always good, that too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you care about ticket prices, then Basel and Queens must be the last tournaments to consider, both are ridiculously overpriced. You can get much cheaper tickets and similar field strengths in Vienna and Halle in the same weeks.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I prefer outdoor tournaments because it is a real tennis venue and not a concert hall or whatever.
From what I experienced, Monte-Carlo is great for the setting (sea and mountain), Madrid has a very nice venue as the magical box is really special and there are tons of things to do in the Spanish Capital, Rome is obviously great, with the Pietrangeli court which is unique.
Then, I loved Kitzbühel, very cool tournament with a nice centre court where you can see all the mountains around (this is also a mythic place for the ski), Queens is ok (but better go to Wimbledon if London chosen as destination), then Halle is nice setting but there is nothing to do around (I slept in Bielefeld at around 30kms, but not an interesting city). I will experience Umag for the first time this summer and I think that Gstaad is great too in the Swiss Alps (but tickets are expensive), I have never been yet to the Barcelona open even if I have been to this this great city many times. Then, Vienna is an indoor tournament, so not a unique tennis site, but this is the most beautiful city in the world to my eyes, so plenty of things to combine...
nb don't go to Antwerp ATP250 in Belgium, is not good at all...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you very much to everybody who wrote and voted!
Especially grateful for more detailed posts with comparisons and argumentation...

Yes, ticket price is a thing to consider for me, but in fact it is to consider for me COMBINED with some other necessary things for a visitor like accomodation, food

Surprisingly, with Basel in the lead at the moment, there is no detailed explanation from nobody why it can beat fellow continental tennis sites!

Any further opinions are welcome!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I can't compare them all because I have yet to make it to the German tournies, but I went to Monte Carlo this year and it was fantastic.

The courts quite small in comparison to most, which made it very intimate and put you close to the action. The setting with the sea just behind is great, the tickets were very reasonable (I paid 40euro) and even found a hotel just on the French side of the border for 65euro per night.

I would put Madrid over Rome just because the Caja Magica is very nice and the setup of the outer courts makes it easy to bounce around matches if you go on one of the early days.

I've never been to Estoril but it is the next on my list for sure, as just watching on TV it looks beautiful and I have had several friends confirm it to be the best 250 to visit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts