Mens Tennis Forums banner

Best Double Handed Backhand of the Open Era?

1 - 20 of 428 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I am bandwagoning leng jai and my own thread on the best single hander of the Open Era.

This time is who has the best double handed backhand. Safin will probably win this poll, because Safin wins all polls and it would be great, if he could be judged on the shot itself, but not likely. At the same time at its peak, it was a wonderful shot, especially down the line

As for nominations, well watch some Djokovic fans try and branch stack, that he has the best of all time, it's not true.

Onto the list

Borg
Wilander
Nalbandian
Agassi
Safin
Connors
Mecir
Kafelnikov

Lets see what other potential nominations are, just like the single handed thread.

·
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is Mecir and Wilander, two experts of the 2 hand backhand. The moron Carillo talks too much.

Borg on grass. Yes, try hitting topspin with a wooden racquet with a small head.

·
Registered
350 Posts
D.Nalbandian for me.
Still it doesn't mean for me that he's a genius. He just have the best stroke.

I think Rios had an amazing backhand but Nalby's is more efficient.

·
Registered
27,317 Posts

·
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a short rally with Borg and Vilas. Very slow clay and wooden racquets, great stuff, hehe.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
As much as I dislike Agassi, I have to admit that the Australian Open final between Kafelnikov and him in 2000 was an excellent match, with some outstanding backhand-to-backhand crosscourt exchanges:

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Reactions: Xristos

·
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that's tennis :inlove:
Those commentators were Italian? Admit it apart from the value for money, you just liked the short shorts?

·
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As much as I dislike Agassi, I have to admit that the Australian Open final between Kafelnikov and him in 2000 was an excellent match, with some outstanding backhand-to-backhand crosscourt exchanges:
Can't deny the excellence of the backhand, hence he was in the main nomination list.

·
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jesus, what a war of attrition! Incredible patience from the two clay legends and insane amounts of topspin on some of those shots.
Borg thought about coming into the net, but he was like, nah more fun to win it in 86 strokes. His endurance was limitless, could play like that for 6 hours, he wasn't getting outlasted in a match.

Had to find the contrast between Borg at RG and Wimbledon. Considering he is the innovator of that particular shot using his ice hockey background.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Rios should at least get a nomination.

Nadal probably has the best backhand for passing shots.

·
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rios should at least get a nomination.

Nadal probably has the best backhand for passing shots.
Yes.

Second part, definitely not. No way it was better than Borg or Wilander at passing shots. One those 2 actually played some great volleyers and on much faster surfaces.

1 - 20 of 428 Posts