Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if all runs it's course, here's why 2008 is the year for fed to really close it as GOAT. he can retire already if he does this...

1. tie pete's 14th slam by winning FO'08, and then get the career slam.

2. break borg's 5 straight wimby's and break pete's 14 slams in wimby'08 (no better place to do it than in wimby!)

3. have a crack at making it a golden career slam in the olympics

4. and if all of the first 3 happens, the calendar golden slam chance in USO'08... only done by graf in history

wishful thinking for sure, but the stars are aligned for GOAT on this year. it's up to fed if he wants to take it!

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
All he needs to become steffi fed is to hire heinz gunthardt

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
if all runs it's course, here's why 2008 is the year for fed to really close it as GOAT. he can retire already if he does this...

1. tie pete's 14th slam by winning FO'08, and then get the career slam.

2. break borg's 5 straight wimby's and break pete's 14 slams in wimby'08 (no better place to do it than in wimby!)

3. have a crack at making it a golden career slam in the olympics

4. and if all of the first 3 happens, the calendar golden slam chance in USO'08... only done by graf in history

wishful thinking for sure, but the stars are aligned for GOAT on this year. it's up to fed if he wants to take it!
If he was to do all of that and win US Open 07, it would be one of the most insane things to have ever happened in sport.

Calender slam, 6 slams on the trot. Victories against Nadal at the french and at the US open in 5 set epics...

Pipedream

I am sure Federer will continue to do well though.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
What's in your head to think Nadal won't burnout before the FO next year?
Well he might, but I doubt it. Anyway Glenn.. it would be good if Nadal was still this 'unstoppable force' on clay next year but yet Federer on his weakest service is able to strip away his tittle.

I have seen many of your posts and have noticed your incessant disdain and contempt for the young spaniard. There is a possibility that Nadal might be being overrated due to his good match-up issues with Federer. It is hard to deny though that his results have been very good over the last couple of years.

What convinces you that he WILL burn out? .. If you do indeed believe that. He isn't just a grinder, he can be very aggresive. He is a rare breed of athlete and is still young.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's in your head to think Nadal won't burnout before the FO next year?
didn't say anything about nadal being burnt out... you can still beat the mallorcan even if not burnout no?

if all that happens and he beat nadal in one of those finals, then that would be truly epic!

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
Hewitt burntout. Chang burntout. All grinder/moonballers/runners burnout and it won't be different with Nadal. Serious injury on the way, don't doubt it.

Federer isn't defeating Nadal on clay in five sets unless someone cuts down Nadal's legs. Match-up issues are too strong and Federer plays shit against Nadal. He was returning ridiculously even in Wimbledon. He kills Roddick's bombs and can't do anything to that shitty serve? That's enough of a sign for me.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Hewitt burntout. Chang burntout. All grinder/moonballers/runners burnout and it won't be different with Nadal. Serious injury on the way, don't doubt it.

Federer isn't defeating Nadal on clay in five sets unless someone cuts down Nadal's legs. Match-up issues are too strong and Federer plays shit against Nadal. He was returning ridiculously even in Wimbledon. He kills Roddick's bombs and can't do anything to that shitty serve? That's enough of a sign for me.
Flat balls are easier to return than ones that have topspin/sidespin. Another ignorant post.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts

I think Federer will start returning the Nadal serve more effectively and when his incumbent coach is finally within his team we may see some different and more effective tactics.

I agree with you Glenn, Grinders do burn out early BUT:

Nadal can play very aggresively and is a tremendous shotmaker. When you have the ability to hit the insane shots that Nadal does I think it is reasonable to say he has a shot at sticking around. Also, Nadal is a perculiar breed of athlete. As a physical specimen, he towers over the aforementioned players. We will see in time if you are right and I am not discounting the fact that it IS a possibility, however I find it unlikely.

·
Your visions will happen
47,118 Posts

He never killed Roddick's bombs, he merely blocked them back into play, and started the point from there, where his advantage over Roddick from the ground is astronomical

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
I think Federer will start returning the Nadal serve more effectively and when his incumbent coach is finally within his team we may see some different and more effective tactics.

I agree with you Glenn, Grinders do burn out early BUT:

Nadal can play very aggresively and is a tremendous shotmaker. When you have the ability to hit the insane shots that Nadal does I think it is reasonable to say he has a shot at sticking around. Also, Nadal is a perculiar breed of athlete. As a physical specimen, he towers over the aforementioned players. We will see in time if you are right and I am not discounting the fact that it IS a possibility, however I find it unlikely.
A coach would do good, I'm sure.

Aggressively? Shotmaker? :lol: You've gotta be kidding me.

About his fitness, we all know how he got it. If you know what I mean... ;)

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Vilas and Muster were the most extreme grinders of the last 30 years and they could keep playing high level tennis until their 30s, and considering their games are more related to Nadal's than Hewitt's and Chang's, I wouldn't take anything for granted.

But yeah, generalization are common sense in MTF.

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
He never killed Roddick's bombs, he merely blocked them back into play, and started the point from there, where his advantage over Roddick from the ground is astronomical
Doing that is enough to kill Roddick's advatage, but he also hits winners off them, have you forgotten the AO?

·
Your visions will happen
47,118 Posts
Doing that is enough to kill Roddick's advatage, but he also hits winners off them, have you forgotten the AO?
to be honest, Federer could have hit winners off of anyone's serve that day, but NORMALLY, he blocks it back and kills from there

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
A coach would do good, I'm sure.

Aggressively? Shotmaker? :lol: You've gotta be kidding me.

About his fitness, we all know how he got it. If you know what I mean... ;)

He can play aggressively. I am not sure of the Wimbledon stats but I think he usually hit more winners than his opponent. He has great passing shots as you know and pulls some unbelievable shots out of the bag just when you think he is out of the point. To deny this would be nonsensical.

About his fitness.. well, I can sense what you are insinuating and that is very outlandish suggestion. I also don't buy it.

·
Your visions will happen
47,118 Posts
Nadal gets drug tested 20 times a year and has never been found guilty for anything, so the Roids bullshit is just not an effective argument. O course, tha has never stopped Gu before

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
to be honest, Federer could have hit winners off of anyone's serve that day, but NORMALLY, he blocks it back and kills from there
and by only blocking it back, a more aggressive nadal has shown that fed needs to rethink his return strategy.

i noticed that in wimby'07, nadal was killing him after fed returned rafa's serve. nadal would then pound him with killer groundstrokes

1 - 20 of 50 Posts