Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that season is over....well semis and final of WTF left and with this players in it will be hard to get any classic...so i wonder in your opinion what were the best matchs of this year and what were the worst ones by quality.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Best: probably one of the Nole/Fed matches

Worst: Some futures match

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Nole-Fed US Open ...you cant beat 5 set classic saving match points and coming from two sets down.....
Nole-Fed RG ........great quality JesusFed and stuff
Nole-Murray Rome....drama
Nole-Rafa Miami.....heat,humidity,slow surface,Rafa,down one set and 3rd set tiebreak and Rafa tired as hell
Nole-Rafa US Open...brutal battle
Fed-Rafa WTF........just cos Fed was crazy good

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Best Nole vs Fed (Uso semi)
Worst Fognini vs Montanes (Fo, not that it wasn't entertaining)

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
worst match was sweeting vs. nishikori in houston final.

Tennis is still trying to recover from that travesty.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
While Rafa-Djokovic's 6 finals all had drama in them, I'd have to say Rogie vs. Djokovic USO SF was the best of 2011 and then in second place, Rogie vs. Djokovic in the 2011 FO SF.

I clearly remember sitting through the nearly 4 hour battle between Rogie and Djokovic and Rogie having the two match points, just like in the 2010 USO SF and blowing them both again and again losing 7-5 in the 5th set. Although Rogie lost both matches to Djokovic, they both proved how great the 29/30-year-old Rogie is, that one has to usually play the match of their life to beat him (i.e. 2008 W and 2009 AO Finals, Rafa over Rogie).

To sum it up, the 2011 USO SF was one the best battles I've seen since watching tennis for nearly a decade now (since early 2002 really). Rafa-Verdasco 2009 AO SF, Rogie-Rafa 2006 Rome F, they were classics too. Any match that lasts 4 hours or more is exciting, some great W matches too (2009 F Rogie over Roddick and 2011Isner over Mahut, 3 days and 11 hours, 5 minutes). Heck, even Rogie and Rafa's 2011 FO F was great, 4 sets, 3hours and 40 minutes and their best FO matchp ever. Seems like a lot of the great matches involve Rogie, Rafa, and/or Djokovic in some way, shape, or form.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
we can all agree that Nole-Fed matches always have the best quality
No intresting but not always best quality, the only match where they both played really well the entire time was in Australia.

The single best in terms of tactics, quality everything was Rome with Andy.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
No intresting but not always best quality, the only match where they both played really well the entire time was in Australia.

The single best in terms of tactics, quality everything was Rome with Andy.
Methinks hatred for Fed clouded your judgment has.

For me, best matches of the year:
Nole vs Fed, RG semifinal.
Mugray vs Nole, Rome (semi?)
Nole vs Rafa, USO.

There were a couple of thrillers with Tsonga, e.g.:
Tsonga vs Nadal, Queen's,
Tsonga vs Fed, Wim,
Tsonga vs Fed, Mtl,
(Tsonga vs Nadal at WTF wasn't quite as good, but similar stuff)

Not the best tennis, but upsets, and some brilliant attacking tennis (rare, and nice to see these days).

It was cool to see Sexy win a tourny this year, but it wasn't the finest tennis ever.

That one match where Murray beat Federer was pretty good too.
OH WAIT :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quality at best in RG between Fed and Nole even tho Nole choked a bit but tennis was awesome...and most thriling is their USO semi by far.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Best was Nole-Roger RG semifinal.

Worst was Verdasco-Nadal in Cincinnati. Even worse for me because I saw it i nperson :eek:

·
Registered
60,660 Posts
Best
Federer d Djokovic
Djokovic d Murray
Djokovic d Federer
Djokvoic d Tsonga
And I gotta mention Žemlja d Phau - incredible match I doubt anyone watched. Absolutely no UEs, amazing passion and gets

Worst
Montanes d Youzhny
Djokovic d Berdych
And many matches ft. Verdasco or badNadal

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
best: Nole - Roger USO.

worst: dunno.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts