Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dokic reaching number 4, tons of tournaments who cares.... " as long as i'm number 4:angel: "

hantuchova, myskina are having the year of their lives!!!

mauresmo is not having a bad year! henin has an ok year, a little worse than last year, but she doesn't have that "Miss Choke" award under her belt anymore after beating Serena in Berlin!!

Rubin has done really well! beating Serena, won Eastbourne and LA and already at #13 after coming back from surgery

Davenport.... it's impressive how she could routinely beat all players she should have beat having to miss tennis for 8 months!

and the winner is CORINA MORARIU, coming back from leukimia and playing some great tennis in doubles as well as in singles!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Myriam Casanova is having a great year so far, her first year on tour! ;)
Really her record is 26-6! One final, one win, 3rd Wimbledon, 2nd at US Open!

Among the top players, I'd say that Venus is having a very good year, even by her standards. Serena is just having a better year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
yes, i have to agree. venus still has the second highest amount of titles on the list. she's just shadowed by serena, who had an amazing year. venus still had a pretty good year.

anna smashnova id say is right up there. yes, she's a favorite of mine, but 4 titles in one year, cracking the top 20, becoming the first israeli to reach the semis of a tier I, becoming the best israeli tennis player and athlete EVER (as proclaimed by israeli sources, not by my opinion), id say that's pretty good.

svetlana has really made the best out of her year, 2 titles and going to a career high to crack the top 50.

eleni daniilidou also had a very good year. she surprised everyone i think and made the best of her year. she's at a career high as well, i think, and she's probably the best greek player they've had in a while, if not of all times.

cara black had a good year too. not only did she get her first title, but she had a good run in the beginning of the year in the hardcourt time too. she's getting her ranking back up to where it used to be too.

last but not least, paola suarez. in terms of well-rounded, she had a great showing at the french open in singles, was seeded at the US Open, and captured two grand slam titles and became the number one in doubles. maybe it's not the best year ever in singles, but overall, it was a good year for her.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMO i can't give Venus an A year because she's playing way too much Tier 2 events! she even play a tier 3 in gold coast. while Serena has been so smart with her schedule, having to play most of the tier 1, she's greedy not to give her sister many chance to play them

Tier 1: tokyo, berlin, rome, miami, indian wells, montreal, zurich, moscow, and charleston?? or is it filderstadt???

ok serena played in berlin(F), rome(W), miami(W), montreal(withdrew), charleston(QF), and commited for zurich

Venus only played Miami losing to Serena and Moscow.... besides the fact that serena won 3 grand slams this is the reason why Serena is way ahead in the ranking! i hope serena going to share that tier 1 next year to venus so that the points gap between them is not that much anymore

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
best doubles team... Suarez/Ruano Pascual

surprising doubles performance with different partners... Janette Husarova

·
Registered
109 Posts
rhz said:
IMO i can't give Venus an A year because she's playing way too much Tier 2 events! she even play a tier 3 in gold coast. while Serena has been so smart with her schedule, having to play most of the tier 1, she's greedy not to give her sister many chance to play them
you know, they COULD just play the same event. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree... Kuznetsova, Zvonareva and Casanova are having a very good year as a rookie!

Widjaja has had a dissapointing year, although she once reached as high as 59, her 1R lost in Bali was her anti climax of her great run last year to win her first title in her first pro tournament

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mikey... you know Serena and Venus won't play in the same tournament together besides grand slams except that they really need to! like Miami, which is #5 tournament just under the Grand Slams

·
Registered
56 Posts
Venus made it to 3 slam finals and had some amazing come from behind wins. Without a DOUBT Venus had a good year, right behind Serena too as the rankings suggest.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anna Smashnova
Anastasia Myskina
Ai Sugiyama
Eleni Daniilidou
Janette Husarova
Patty Schnyder
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Dinara Safina

there are many others

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chanda Rubin is having a great year, and I feel she will finish as #10. This has been the best year of her career. 3 finals, 2 titles round 16 of all 3 Grand Slams after return from her injury as well as semi-finals in doubles. GEAUX CHANDA.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's funny how when Hingis was at the top not winning GSs, her finals and tier 1/2 wins didn't count and now that it's Venus all the sudden tier 1s, 2 and GS finals become important :rolleyes:

of course, there are different standards for top players than for others.

For a player like Venus, not winning a GS is bad year, as 2000 was IMO a bad year for Martina Hingis despite winning 9 tournaments and making 1 GS final and 2 semis.

players like Danilidou, Hantuchova, Myskina, Zvonareva or Kuznetsova are of course having a good year as this is their best year so far.

Kim is having a disspointing year, Justine just ok, Davenport, you can't say with soo few tournaments, Martina, terrible, Anna, nevermind, Elena Dementieva, terrible, Smashnova, excellent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
when youre at the top not winning a grandslam is tough. But what can you do when one player sweeps all but one? Is your year then meaningless? No, its not. I'm sure venus would trade her seven titles for jen's grandslam though so there you go.

best year
serena
jen
venus

and thats it at the top three gs finals is the next best thing to winning a gs.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Venus, she won 7 tournaments and reached 3 GS finals.

Daniela H. won Indian Wells and improve her ranking. Also she will end the season in the top ten.

Clarisa Fernandez. Improved her ranking from #136 to 32 this week. Reaching Roland Garros Semis and beating players like Farina Elia, Myskina, Clijsters, Dementieva and others.

Paola Suarez for winning 2 GS Doubles title and become the n#1 double player.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fingon, what do fans stating that Hingis reaching all her slam finals and winning Tier2 tourneys do not count have to do with this topic? It's about which player had a GOOD year. I think Venus had a GOOD year, as well as Hingis when she made it to her slam finals and won Tier2 tourneys. Although this year is not so good for Chucky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
However, Fingon...

Fingon,
Venus may not have won a slam, however, she wasn't holding down no.1 for god knows how long!!! And, she wasn't just a finalist in one slam, but three. Amazing in itself!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: And, I don't remember anyone saying Hingis' years weren't successful, just that as no.1, she had no slams.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts