Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

After Stan's loss to Djokovic in AO 2013, I was convinced that Stan was the biggest active underachiever. He won a slam in 2014 so he no longer holds that title. Then I said Cilic is the biggest underachiever. Won a slam in the same year so he no longer holds that title. Now I would say it's the Nard. Of course it's my opinion and sadly I don't think he will even make a slam SF in his career let alone win a slam. He is that much of a mess. It's quite sad for his fans really. So much tennis potential/talent wasted. Honestly he is one of the the very few players that makes me feel he is playing with a magic wand instead of a tennis racket. He has such an extremely beautiful and unique game at the same time. Can't say the same about 95% of the tour really. Therefore, I think the fact that he never made any progress in his career so far is terrible for the game. I mean he would add so much interesting match-ups in big events on regular basis if he maximised his potential somehow or at least had Dimitrov's work ethic. Dimitrov is hardworker at least and made top 10 already. Even someone like Gulbis made it there. I think Nard was quite unlucky to have such a terrible father but he shouldn't be blamed completely I guess. Fact is Nard has far more interesting game than almost the whole tour but sadly we won't be able to watch that kind of tennis artistry from him on the biggest stage. Sad sad times (for his fans especially).

I would like to finish this thread with this piece of art :

When it comes to backhand slices, Bernard Tomic is your man. This is the kinda guy who can slice bread with a tennis racquet and leave it in an edible state. Bernard's slice backhand isn't just a groundstroke; it's a complete overhaul of the very fundamentals and mechanics that build tennis. You thought Nadal could get high RPM? This thing has so much slice you'd swear you're playing in hurricane. Bernard's slice is the most lethal shot in sport. It'll hit you like a spiked drink in a Brisbane nightclub.
Quite a beautiful read (Post of the year).

·
6,485 Posts
Whilst optimistic Bernie will go on to bigger and better things, he only has 2 x 250 ATP titles, has not even cracked the top 20, and is not yet ready to be compared to Wawrinka and Cilic - who were already seasoned veterans on the tour at the time they won Slams.
Tomic may need some more time to mature than most, both in his game and at a personal level, but here's hoping he will get there eventually.

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
Hey Nole Rules,

It seems you're a little down because of Bernie's underachievements so far. Not because of his recent arrests, battles with Tennis Australia or Pat Rafter Bonds Commercial shaming; but his lack of Calendar Year Grand Slams and weeks at World No 1. I want you to not lose faith so early. Bernie will reach a grand slam SF and progress well beyond that round, he's just got some stuff to work out first.

Like a graceful Tomic fake inside out forehand drop shot winner, Bernard is executing his master plan. His behavior throughout his career so far is just so he can appear as a villain in the eye of the public. Bernard wants to show the tennis world he can lift those majors without relying on crowd support, a balanced sleep schedule, or funding from Tennis Australia. He wants to show the world YES, you can eat gluten and win Wimbledon; YES, you can win the AO even if you're booed in the final, and YES, you don't need topspin to win Roland Garros.

You recognize he has one of, if not, the most interesting game styles on tour. I completely agree with that and the fact you believe Bernard plays with a magic wand rather than a racquet built only for mortals. Keep your faith high, Nole Rules; you're the kind of fan Bernard is after. :worship:

When Bernie is challenging for that big 17, he'll know the glory hunters from the real fans.

Take care.

- Phenomenadal.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
He's not even an underachiever

He's just a never was, a hype machine

Far too many good junior careers get this attached to them, but some clearly can't hack being a champion amongst the big boys, Tomic was never looking like a champion in the making, never.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Far too many good junior careers get this attached to them, but some clearly can't hack being a champion amongst the big boys, Tomic was never looking like a champion in the making, never.
He looked quite promising to me at Wimbledon 2011, reaching the QF at 18 years of age after coming through qualifying and pushing Djokovic to 4 sets, 7-5 in the fourth in which to me it seemed as though Tomic was going to take that 4th set. After that though, he hasn't matched that.

He produces lovely mugshots however.

<---

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Not sure. Bernie's biggest problem is that he neither got great defense (speed) nor great offense (power). Very difficult to be really successful without being world class in one of those areas even when you got great timing, touch, tennis IQ.

Obv. it's difficult to be a great defender when you are very tall but than you need some decent offense at least. But his serve and forehand (primary weapons of most players) are lacking.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Not sure. Bernie's biggest problem is that he neither got great defense (speed) nor great offense (power). Very difficult to be really successful without being world class in one of those areas even when you got great timing, touch, tennis IQ.

Obv. it's difficult to be a great defender when you are very tall but than you need some decent offense at least. But his serve and forehand (primary weapons of most players) are lacking.
He squandered his chances of being solid top 10 player by his way of life and training.

Being that tall he should've been as meticulous about every detail as Djokovic, to stand any chance of making to top 10 in the years to come, but he was more like Gulbis when on low.

With 1995+ guns rising fast, top 15-20 will be Tomic' maximum if lucky with the injuries.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
In Europe he is generally regarded as an idiot. A B-player and a clown personality.

In the United States I think it is the same.

In Australia I think he is a superstar.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
He's too tall and awkard to be a great defender. His only chance is to turn into a low percentage, agressive player and he's not doing that. His style of tennis is cool and all, but it's basically junior tennis, keeping the ball in play and doing a few trick shots. Not a good strategy for senior tennis

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
He's of mediocre talent and skill. Top 30 seems appropriate.

Very overrated like Murray, but it comes with the territory being a prospect from Britain or Australia.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Reactions: Sham Kay Adams

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

Couldn´t have said it better. His game can be relatively entertaining in some bizarre way, because it is a very unconventional game. But it´s weird how often that gets confused with talent. He really has no real defense or offense. Some nice slices and angles make him a difficult, annoying match-up for players ranked between 30-100 or something, but there is no way he can beat top players with that game. He has nothing to hurt them with. You don´t beat top payers without weapons, whether they are defensive or offensive weapons. And Tomic has neither.

·
Registered
29,247 Posts
Tomic is overrated as shit. Part of that is because his generation was trash so people had to find SOMEONE to place their hopes in. If he was of Kyrgios' generation, not many would care about Bernard.
He's got no reliable, big weapon. And no consistency. So how do you guys expect him to succeed on the big stage? He can't.

I'm fairly neutral to Tomic btw. I think he's a clown off court but he hasn't had the optimal upbringing obviously. I think his game can be interesting in the same way Dolgopolov's can. But I don't see big potential in him. To succeed on today's slow courts you need speed and consistency. Tomic has neither.

·
Registered
29,247 Posts
He's of mediocre talent and skill. Top 30 seems appropriate.

Very overrated like Murray, but it comes with the territory being a prospect from Britain or Australia.
Wtf does Murray have to do with this :haha: They are nothing alike. At all. And I'm far from a Mandytard

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Tomic is overrated as shit. Part of that is because his generation was trash so people had to find SOMEONE to place their hopes in. If he was of Kyrgios' generation, not many would care about Bernard.
He's got no reliable, big weapon. And no consistency. So how do you guys expect him to succeed on the big stage? He can't.

I'm fairly neutral to Tomic btw. I think he's a clown off court but he hasn't had the optimal upbringing obviously. I think his game can be interesting in the same way Dolgopolov's can. But I don't see big potential in him. To succeed on today's slow courts you need speed and consistency. Tomic has neither.
This. Half the time he plays like an amateur. Occasionally he plays some creative tennis, but so does a few guys, you don't know about them because there's no spotlight or hype behind them.

He doesn't have the desire either. Just wants to coast through his career.

·
Bring it Home
20,353 Posts
No, he's just where his talent and game flaws placed him, top 20-30 player.

People use this "lack of effort" excuse, but it's really bullshit. When he doesn't care and plays bad he lost to the likes of John Patrick Smith, when he cares a lot and plays his best he can beat the likes of Ferrer or Gasquet in a tight match, but that's all.

Some numbers about Bernard:

Matches against "the big 4":
0W 13L (0-3 against Nadal, 0-4 against Djokovic, 0-4 against Federer, 0-2 against Murray)
3 sets won 31 sets lost (3 sets he won were in grass btw)

Matches against "the big 3" of his generation (89-92):
0W, 5L (0-2 against Dimitrov, 0-1 against Raonic, 0-2 against Nishikori)
1 set won, 10 sets lost (won a set against Dimitrov in Rotterdam 2013, in a match he was actually the better ranked player)

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Wtf does Murray have to do with this :haha: They are nothing alike. At all. And I'm far from a Mandytard
Maybe you can't read English, not sure, but what I said in my post is that, in common, they are both very overrated. Actual talent and ability doesn't match how people speak of them (namely English-speaking press).

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
Thread title would be more accurate if it said overachiever.

·
Premium Member
21,367 Posts
People use this "lack of effort" excuse, but it's really bullshit. When he doesn't care and plays bad he lost to the likes of John Patrick Smith, when he cares a lot and plays his best he can beat the likes of Ferrer or Gasquet in a tight match, but that's all.
I think it's not bs, if you remember that interview from his hitting partner, Tomic was often failing to stay in shape or to train as hard as his fitness coach wanted. His movement was crap back in 2011 and it's still crap. I don't know where exactly are his limits, but it doesn't seem he gave a real effort to reach them. Even he (in)famously said he will have time (or something) when Federer and the likes retire, so he's in no hurry.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts