Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So five of the Top 6 ranked players on the ITF Tour are in the draw of the Bergamo challenger this week.
In the qualifying there are the nos. 7 and 13.

I just don't understand how this is supposed to work. So in order to get to play challengers, you have to go on an exceptional winning streak on the Futures tour, winning 6 or 7 titles. Then you have to do fairly well on the Challengers, else your ITF points will drop off and you can start all over again.

I mean, sure, you can argue that only those few who are good enough to tear through Futures are worthy of playing on the Main tour. But it just seems awfully tough right now. Not to forget that you have to get into those Futures first.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The new ranking system has made a mess of it for lower-ranked players. See so many bigger names that should be in Challengers playing Futures to get their rankings up. Not fair to them or the 20 year old rising players when they have to face somebody who was a previous top 70 player.

The worst part is, this was all done to limit better in order to stop fixes. While, betting is still available on all Futures tourneys, so it has accomplished absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
The worst part is, this was all done to limit better in order to stop fixes. While, betting is still available on all Futures tourneys, so it has accomplished absolutely nothing.
Did they actually state that? Because I can't imagine they are stupid enough to believe that, so that must mean they think we are stupid enough to believe it

·
Registered
472 Posts
Did they actually state that? Because I can't imagine they are stupid enough to believe that, so that must mean they think we are stupid enough to believe it
Pretty much. They basically said they want low-level players to make a living playing tennis, while they want guys who play once in a while out of the sport. ie. serious players don't need to fix, while guys likely to fix don't get the opportunity.

I also know there were recommendations for the 15k Futures tourneys to not sell the data to SportRadar, but since they are in the midst of a $70 Million deal, they cannot right now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
ATP never intended to not credit ATP points in 15k and 25k, only requirement was not to sell the data to the betting sites. Since ITF is a money making company (like 99.9% of the worlds companies) they said nah we take the 70m deal --> no ATP points on 15k.

Cutting Q sizes from 48/64/128 to 24 is just beyond madness. I really do not know what they thought of making this system. You literally can not enter any tournament if you do not have ITF points. Furthermore a dude ranked 101 in the Juniors list will be worth shit after he drops out while on the other side a dude ranked 100 will get juniors reserved places all over his a**.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
They basically said they want low-level players to make a living playing tennis
Say one thing, then do the opposite :spit:. It only got tougher for them.

Interesting read from a couple of days ago: International Tennis Federation rules out any possibility of ITF World Tennis Tour being scrapped

One of the top-ranked players in the ITF’s new leaderboard, Germany’s Peter Heller, told Metro.co.uk this week that there was ‘nothing good’ about the new system and insisted he hadn’t spoken to a single fellow professional who felt otherwise.

·
Your visions will happen
47,138 Posts
ITF is so full of shit. They fixed what wasn't broken, thereby breaking it, and failed to fix the only problem, prize money. They did everything except raise prize money. Futures main draw players now have to pay entry fee too.

So there are less players with a chance, the players are making less money than before, and fixing hasn't stopped because ITF is in bed with betting companies

I posted in that FB page that I hope ATP takes over the futures too, it is getting ridiculous. It is one thing for players like me to not get a chance, as I'm sure ITF wanted, even though there are still pretty qualies. It is another thing for very strong college or junior players whose family could not afford the traditional pathway to not even get a chance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts