Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Ben plays Becker tomorrow (Tuesday), 2nd match on Grandstand court, Stuttgart R1. (Court starts at 11am local time)

Becker leads the H2H 1-0, but that was on hard court at Metz last year. Allez Ben! :)

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
The weather has messed up Stuttgart's Tuesday schedule (rain). They're trying again on Wednesday - Ben will now be 1st match on Grandstand court at 11am local time, Wednesday. Fingers crossed for better weather. :)

Allez Ben!

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Lame performance in Stuttgart, 1R loss :(.

Lack of match play + constant rain delays, a bad tourney for him :p.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
^^^ A real shame because I saw the 1st 2 sets and this match was totally winnable. (He lost 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 :hug:)

Ben did well in the 1st set not to get frustrated - he served 1st and had 4 BP's he didn't convert, but then took the 5th BP to go 5-3 up. A DF when serving for it, left him at 15-30. He then hit an unreturnable serve, a great serve and backhand winner 1-2, and defended brilliantly to win the last point and the set.

Becker started serving in set 2 and both seemed to be holding more easily than they had in the 1st set. By 2 all, Ben had served 4 aces in the set. But Becker seemed to step things up in the 3-2 game and held to love.

Then in the 6th game, Becker's returns were really good. Ben only played one poor shot - a loose forehand - and already he was 15-40 down. He served an ace to get to 30-40 and then was in control of the point when he hit a wild forehand as he was approaching the net, and was broken for 4-2. He wasn't happy with himself as you can imagine. :(

Then in the next game, Becker started with a DF, Ben hit a UE for 15-15, Becker hit a UE for 15-30, Ben hit long for 30-30, Becker netted for 30-40 BP, and then Ben netted an awful forehand on a 2nd serve. Becker served it out for 5-2. Ben was even more annoyed after this game because he knew he'd had chances and didn't make the best of them. His concentration was wrecked after this. :sad:

It's a shame because he played some good stuff as well, although I don't think he was all that happy with the court which was patched up after every change of ends. And nearly 2 full days of rain delays must have driven him mad.

Oh and if all of this wasn't depressing enough, he's still wearing the strapping on his left knee. :hug:

Hamburg next...

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Tough times for Benoit :sad: , I hope he will at least win one match in Hamburg, he really needs confidence.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Yeah I saw a bit of stream in set 2 and at one stage he was having a 'Benoit moment' of getting balls from ballboys and I think hitting each out of the courts :tape::lol:. IMO he needs to cut that kind of shit out. It's best left in juniors that sort of thing and I very much doubt it helps him. I doubt he will though, it's just something I'll have to accept.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Yeah I saw a bit of stream in set 2 and at one stage he was having a 'Benoit moment' of getting balls from ballboys and I think hitting each out of the courts :tape::lol:. IMO he needs to cut that kind of shit out. It's best left in juniors that sort of thing and I very much doubt it helps him. I doubt he will though, it's just something I'll have to accept.
I didn't see that, when was it? At 5-2? My stream froze and when it came back, the camera was zoomed in on his racquet on his chair as if he'd cracked it or something. I did see him hit a ball at the back of the court after he was broken for 4-2, but it seemed more like that usual way players who get broken are annoyed when they get rid of the spare balls. My stream wasn't great though, so maybe not.

Either way, it's worrying how quickly he lost focus when things went against him. He doesn't seem to have any confidence at all at the moment. :sad:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
He wasn't even THAT far behind in the second set when he did that actually. Might've even been when he was down 2-4 or even 2-3 :tape:.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
He wasn't even THAT far behind in the second set when he did that actually. Might've even been when he was down 2-4 or even 2-3 :tape:.
Weird I didn't see it. Must have been the dodgy stream. But things are bad. :sad:

Ben has only played 18 matches this year... he's 87 in the live ranking, and is only 46 points away from leaving the top 100. :scared:

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
He plays Andrey Golubev, R1 Hamburg, winner plays Santi Giraldo...

Ben's defending 45 points this week, so really needs a win. Allez!!! :)

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
YESSS!!! Ben won 1-6, 6-1, 7-6 against Golubev, R1 Hamburg... :woohoo:

And not just a win, but the way he won - showed a lot of guts and character today. :yeah:

I joined it at 3-1 in the 1st and Golubev was on fire. Ben was playing fine, but Golubev was great, painting the lines with big forehands and angled backhands. Ben was being forced into errors, but hit a DF to give 5-1. When he then kicked a chair at the back of the court, I feared the worst. :eek:

But what was great was that Ben kept fighting, he didn't just give up. He fought hard in the last game of that set, and hit a lot of aggressive backhands.

In the 2nd set, Ben kept attacking and started forcing more errors. He got an early break for 2-0 and never looked back. Golubev's level dropped a bit and he started making some UE's too. But Ben kept his focus and was able to serve it out.

In the 3rd set, Golubev's level seemed to rise again, and the big FH W's were back. Ben held a tricky service game for 1-1 and then forced errors to break for 2-1. Golubev saved a couple of BP's to keep it to 3-2, and I wasn't sure how that would affect Ben, but he was still good.

Then he had to serve for it, up 5-4. He didn't play a great game and was broken when he tried to hit a BH drop shot, which of course, ended up in the net. (He needs to be banned from playing drop shots at crucial moments!) Then Golubev played a great service game, holding to love, and again, I feared the worst. At 5-6 down, 30-30, Ben serving, Ben hit a backhand which was oh so close but was called out. MP :eek: But he saved it with a great serve down the middle and went onto win the game. :yippee:

In the tie break, Ben hit a great backhand to get an early mini break, but then hit a DF. Then Golubev gifted another mini break to Ben, but won it back with a fantastic return. 3-3. Then Ben hit a great serve and aggressive BH, forcing the error (4-3), a great return which forced an error (5-3), Golubev hit a winner (5-4) and Ben had 2 serves to win it. The first was good, but Golubev's return was wild (6-4MP), then Ben hit an unreturnable serve down the middle and won it!!!!

Just awesome... so, so happy for him to have come through such a tight match like this. He had a big reaction at the end and you could see it meant a lot to him.

But there is some bad news... Ben was wearing a Nike polo, with tape over the Nike flash symbol, so it looks like he's not with Lacoste anymore. :sad: The tape kept falling off and it was a bit of a shame that he kept having to tape it back up again at change of ends. EDIT: Ignore this - I just saw Ben's twitter and Air France lost his luggage!!! He had no clothes for the match!!! :hug:

There was also a very pretty brunette the camera kept cutting to, and who was very happy when Ben won, so I think this is maybe his hot GF (or maybe hot sister if that's what you choose to believe! :lol:)

I never saw Lionel on the stream today :confused: but I'm hoping that's just because the director didn't know who he was, and he was still there.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Finally Benoît :yeah: :woohoo: , you could see how important it was for him, he was anxious to get his 1st win since RG and just 4th of the year. I think this match will help him, I think it's the 1st time he's won saving MP on ATP circuit. Also, his fitness was back to 100%, at least today he seemed to run well and the BH was really great. Giraldo next, Allez!

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for you report I doubt Lionel is there and was surely not in Stuttgart last week. He's alone some weeks Lionel is not always travelling with Benoit due to family and his work with others players. Anyway who can follow Benoit and his crazy schedule :lol:

There was also a very pretty brunette the camera kept cutting to, and who was very happy when Ben won, so I think this is maybe his hot GF (or maybe hot sister if that's what you choose to believe! :lol:)

I never saw Lionel on the stream today :confused: but I'm hoping that's just because the director didn't know who he was, and he was still there.
It appears it's this girl
https://twitter.com/Pauline_Twitte

·
Registered
339 Posts
I saw Paire 20 minutes before the match walking towards Center Court, holding hands with a girl, probably the one mentioned here. :cool:
I didn't have a CC ticket but even on Court 1 I could hear a loud "ALLEZ" after the MP.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts