8,200 Posts
Just cause of the flag I guess?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
Belgium was part of the Habsburg Empire some centuries longer than the Netherlands. Not really showing that influence today though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Most belgians although speaking some variant of Dutch language (which is flemish) are ethnically and culturally more similar to Northern departments of France. to me Netherlands is where Northern europe really begins, and Belgium is a lot more mixed in terms of culture and ethnicity, the same applies to Northern France and the UK.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Absolutely not. First of all only about half Belgians have French as mother tongue, the other half speak Flemish, which is a dialect of Dutch. The Flemish don't consider themselves Dutch in any way, let alone German. The Wallons are culturally quite close to France. Neither is culturally or otherwise similar to Germany appart from being European.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Americans are just english speaking Mexicans. Change my mind.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
If you think it over, OP has a point in ethnic similiarity: a part of Belgians (namely more the northern Flemish speaking part) is closer to the Germans in anthropological terms, then to the French/Dutch.
Though that's just my observation, I could be wrong though, having never lived there.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
First off, if you’re going to post any info about countries & such, at least learn correct spelling (hint: Belgian). Anyway, having visited Belgium multiple times, would just say while Brussels is the central point where mixture of Flemish & French mix. Northern region including Flanders, Antwerp & Limburg predominantly Flemish (akin to but not same as Dutch), while more southern Walloon, Hainaut, Namur & Liege regions typically French so none r ‘German’ but the eastern border region w/ Germany might share some customs/culture.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Half of them speak Flemish, the other half speak French.

None of them consider themselves German.
They speak Dutch. I actually work for a Belgian department of a Dutch company, with Belgian people and I always enjoy their ways of speaking. They mostly have a big accent, but their knowledge on the Dutch language is quite often better than that of the Dutch people themselves. A funny sidenote is that a yearly National Dictation Contest on Dutch language, between Belgium and The Netherlands, was always won by Belgium.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts