Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

What's your view on the future of Belgian tennis with the retirement of Darcis coming up? I'm not a massive tennis buff, so I'm wondering what others think about the (near) future of Belgian tennis. Are there any exciting juniors coming up?

As far as I can see there aren't really much exciting prospects for follow up in the (sub)top with Goffin after Darcis retires, Goffin (29) does take a bit of spotlight of things cause it's been a while since we had a male tennis player at the highest level, but there isn't much else. Coppejans is already 25 and hasn't made a hugh amount of progression in the youngster years. Same with De Greef (27). And Bemelmans is actually older than Goffin at 31. There are a couple of early 20'ers that could potentially end up in the top100 in a couple of years, but that's a long way off (Bergs, Bovy). The only exciting new thing in Belgian (male) tennis is the progression of Gille/Vliegen in doubles, but even they are in their late twenties.

With David prone to injury I don't know if he'll go the way of Federer and play until he's ancient, so happy to hear your opinions :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Unfortunately, there are not many young prospects. Zizou Zbergs has been injured a lot last year, so hopefully he can play injury free and progress. Let's see also if Arnaud Bovy and Gauthier Onclin can progress. But I doubt any of these players will ever reach the top 100. The depth in men's tennis is so important.
Kimmer is a bit limited to the top tennis, maybe he can reached again the top 100 like he did in 2015, but we don't have to expect more than this.
It is a pity that Julien Cagnina has been so injured so many times, he is a bit the Delpotro of the Belgium tennis at a lower tennis. Without these injuries he should have done something similar to Kimmer or better.
Joris de Loore has been injured for a long time too and hopefully Arthur can come back in the top 150.
But all in all, there is nobody coming for the top 50

1 - 2 of 2 Posts