Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There must be some fans of the legendary Bee Gees on this forum. Everyone knows that Barry Gibb is more or less the tennis GOAT of pop stars. He used to play exhos in Miami during the 80's.

This band was one of the biggest in pop history. I guess they have sold some 250 million records and only five or six artists have sold more. Still the Bee Gees were ridiculed for many years. Quite interesting. Ok, they sang in falsetto and wore white suits, but who didn't in the late 70's? But above all they were great songwriters.

So many brilliant pop classics; More Than a Woman, Love So Right, Fanny Be Tender etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
I volunteer as a Bee Gees fan :)

It's a bit annoying that so many remembers only the falsetto period. They've done so much more than that.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I volunteer as a Bee Gees fan :)

It's a bit annoying that so many remembers only the falsetto period. They've done so much more than that.
Yeah, but that period also featured great stuff. Main Course and Children of the World are just great R&B albums.

I don't care much for their 60's songs. There are some good ones like I Can't See Nobody or First of May, but many of the big hits of that era are really boring and dull. Songs like New York Mining Disaster, Massachusetts etc.

They actually even had some good stuff in the 80's and 90's. The '93 album Size Isn't Everything is pretty good.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some good vids on YouTube. Barry Gibb "guests" on Today 1988 and he predicted that Cash beats Becker in the Wimby quarters. Barry could be a member on this forum?

"Bee Gees walk out of Clive Anderson Talk Back" is just a classic moment. Anderson is witty and quite funny, but the Bee Gees can't take a joke and leave. Especially Barry seems like a douche.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I know I did like some of their songs, but right off hand I can't remember them! I wasn't a big fan to say the least or I would remember those songs :lol:

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
I like their songs. I think the songs and singers were much better before 1980 :cool:

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Bee Gees are probably the best thing in music of all time.

Every third song you hear has been written and sang by them 30-50 years ago.

Insane genius musicians.

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
Bee Gees are probably the best thing in music of all time.

Every third song you hear has been written and sang by them 30-50 years ago.

Insane genius musicians.
yeah, unlike most of the singers now, they could compose their own songs. Genius :yeah:

·
Banned
295 Posts
It seems there aren't a very big contingent of Bee Gees fans here....
They're probably too old for the young crowd at MTF :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YouTube: Barry Gibb playing tennis at Pringles Light Classic Pro-Celebrity Tennis tournament. He's playing mixed doubles with Navratilova.

His lefty serve looks really disgusting.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I like the beatles because they represent hope and innocence.. I like that they sang for peace and humanity love.. I somehow like this time in history, it was after the stupid world war and there were many people who made real effort for peace.. Now all sides are very extremist and media are hijacked by power groups..

I don't know the BG.. What is their best song and lyrics?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I'm 25 and I love the Bee Gees.

Theres a great deal more to them than most care to remember. For some reason a lot of people cannot take them seriously.

How many other bands can say that they have had success as a rock act and then a decade later as a disco one?

Crossing over into different genres is incredibly difficult.

Too much heaven, Massachusetts etc are beautiful songs.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
I like them :). Whether their early ballad-oriented songs or disco things, they're usually very catchy (with the ballads combining catchiness and beauty of course). Post-70s? Meh, not that impressed by what I've heard, but they have a few major exceptions ("You Win Again", "Alone", "Closer than Close", their version of "Heartbreaker").

I've got this, but haven't even listened to all of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology_%28Bee_Gees_album%29

A fair bit of it is their bad 80s songs though :scratch: (and "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" for some reason is missing). Anyway...

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One of their best tracks is from 1993, "Paying the Price of Love". I remember it was the first time I heard about them. The song is very uptempo and has some hip-hop influences. I loved the song, but it didn't get the airplay it deserved. The video was pretty expensive and actually quite cool, but obviously MTV wouldn't play it, because The Bee Gees weren't really hip at the time

There's a couple of good live versions on YouTube. Their look was kinda funny. The guys were middle aged, but they were still trying to look young and trendy. Robin with his long blonde hair and Barry with a sleeveless shirt. But you can't fool Father Time. Still a good song.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts