Banned
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"about 1 percent of the homes with ESPN were tuned in to Beckham's first game."

Like i said before, No one in the US really gives a shit about Dave

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts
and? how many people watch ESPN for any other event 2 or 3 %, 1 % is still high :lol:

no one gives a shit? Beckham has the highest selling jersey of all sports in USA, 300,000 sold within 48hours :speakles:

·
Banned
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Espn sunday night baseball has an average rating of 3.0 for a rather meaningless game every week and Beckhams hyped debut gets 1.0 so yes thats terrible

·
Banned
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
over 100million homes in US have ESPN, so over a million people watched, thats much higher than a normal game. :wavey:

Yea its higher than a normal game but still pretty low for the hype it got. Also many people watched because it was the first game. If it was the 4th game i doubt many people would tune in.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Are you two just repeating an argument you had last night at dinner?

·
Madness is genius
15,965 Posts
Espn sunday night baseball has an average rating of 3.0 for a rather meaningless game every week and Beckhams hyped debut gets 1.0 so yes thats terrible
Well to be fair I think baseball is bigger than soccer in the U.S so I don't really think the two's ratings should be compared.:shrug:

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
So after all that megahype and all that money poured into their PR both Skanky Spice and her husband whats-his-name bomb out bad in the USA, eh? :rolls: Don't say I didn't warn you that they'd fail miserably. :haha: :haha: :haha:

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
Well to be fair I think baseball is bigger than soccer in the U.S so I don't really think the two's ratings should be compared.:shrug:
Yeah, no shit.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
Well seeing as he only played about 15 minutes, and this was known before the game, it is hardly surprising that the ratings weren't great.
I've heard that it was the highest rated soccer game ever on ESPN, so that's a start, I guess.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-beckhamdebutratings,0,1526003.story?coll=zap-news-headlines

David Beckham Makes Americans Watch Soccer
Posh's hubby helps ESPN set records
July 25, 2007

David Beckham's MLS debut may not have been impressive, but it did the job for ESPN.

Nursing an ankle injury, the English superstar and media sensation played only 16 minutes in the LA Galaxy's Saturday (July 21) match against Premiership side Chelsea FC.

Despite widespread reports that Beckham's appearance might be even more limited, the game averaged 1.468 million viewers, according to figures released by ESPN on Tuesday. Thus, in his first appearance on the pitch, Beckham helped deliver the most-watched MLS telecast in the history of ESPN or ESPN2.

A 1996 match between DC United and the San Jose Clash, the soccer league's first game ever, held the previous record with only 1.1 million viewers. Not only did Beckham's debut trump all previous MLS coverage on ESPN, it drew more viewers than any ESPN telecast of a Team USA soccer match outside of FIFA World Cup play.
The game was ad-supported cable's highest rated of the night among men 18-49 and 25-54.

ESPN will continue to bank on Beckham's ball-bending, Spice Girl-marrying star-power in the weeks to come, telecasting at least five upcoming Galaxy games on ESPN2.
1 percent doesn't sound great, but if it was the most watched MLS game in history, it's not all bad. ;)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
expected result :). The problem w/MLS is that the quality of football sucks, Beckham isn't all of a sudden going to change that...

·
Registered
21,222 Posts

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
Americans wouldn't know a good sport if it smacked them in the face.
You're just jealous because we have more sports than you do. :p
I have a sport to keep me occupied for each season of the year. In the summer/fall I have baseball, late fall/winter I have football(you know, the physical contact sport), and from fall to early summer I follow basketball. :)

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
You're just jealous because we have more sports than you do. :p
I have a sport to keep me occupied for each season of the year. In the summer/fall I have baseball, late fall/winter I have football(you know, the physical contact sport), and from fall to early summer I follow basketball. :)
All 3 suck ;)

"Football" - More commericals than there is play. Absolute snorefest.

Basketball - Impossible to get excited until the last 2 minutes of a game.

Baseball - Terrible sport, cricket and rounders are more entertaining.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
All 3 suck ;)

"Football" - More commericals than there is play. Absolute snorefest.

Basketball - Impossible to get excited until the last 2 minutes of a game.

Baseball - Terrible sport, cricket and rounders are more entertaining.
dodo :armed:
agreed on basketball, but you didn't just say that about football and baseball :armed:

1 - 20 of 90 Posts