Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Djokovic wouldn't win the last 2 Wimbledon without uncle Boris. His serve became a big weapon under uncle Boris' coaching.

The greatest legend coach.

There is something screams "LEGEND!" about this man.
The aura of the legendary Boris Becker is certainly something special.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I can only imagine looking through the post history of frequent MTF posters and finding all of the 'fire Becker' posts and 'Becker wost coach ever?'

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The dude won Wimbledon before he got pubic hair (the next youngest to do that is 21 year old Jimmy Connors)

In other words, BB's legendhood is already guaranteed and sealed till eternity - he can't do no wrong - and he knows it. End of.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure how good a tennis coach Becker is. I think he definitely clicks with Djokovic on a personal level and that keeps Djokovic loose and relaxed. That counts for a lot.

Definitely not sure what kiond of strategy old age Federer/Edberg were trying. Rallying with Djokovic? Anderson and Wawrinka have shown that the best way to beat Djokovic is to take chances and rattle him. Federer played to not look bad rather than to win.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I can only imagine looking through the post history of frequent MTF posters and finding all of the 'fire Becker' posts and 'Becker wost coach ever?'
I was one of those who was very much against the hiring of Becker. It looks as though I was wrong in my initial assessment. It does seem as though Boris has improved certain aspects of Novak's game: The serve, better net game, forehand, and overhead. Novak was a great player before Boris arrived, but sometimes minor touches or changes are needed for established players to improve their game. Perhaps Nadal could use some outside help to improve or change some aspects of his game?

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Definitely not sure what kiond of strategy old age Federer/Edberg were trying. Rallying with Djokovic?
Actually, the strategy was to rush the points after good 1st serves. And it worked pretty well for 2 sets - many net points, serve&volleys and 1-2s . Afterwards Novak became more clutch on the return and Fed missed some 1st serves during break points. That was enough to take the other two sets.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Absolutely. Passion and warmth > ice cold hypocrisy. But at least Federer will win his coach's award yet again this year.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Absolutely, to be able to coach a machine like Djokovic to two Wimbledon titles is stellar. Probably the greatest coaching feat in sports history, better then Phil Jackson for sure.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
I have a feeling that in the case of Novak Djokovic it wouldn't have made any difference. He could have been coached by Becuzzi for all we know and still won it.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I have a feeling that in the case of Novak Djokovic it wouldn't have made any difference. He could have been coached by Becuzzi for all we know and still won it.
This. It's not like Djokovic won Wimbledon serving and volleying his way to the title :lol:

The bottom line is Becker has failed so far to help Djokovic wins the french, be it mentally or in his game.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Becker has helped Djokovic's serve immensely. He's also better at the net than during his grinder phase, but still quite subpar. Those parts of your game ensure your longevity, and with his late start and struggles, Novak's playing the long game.

He won Wimbledon before, certainly, but he's the first man to defend it since Federer's streak.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
is very different situation....

BECKER is in the team fof the world Number 1 who was in his peak when he cames, his serve in 2007 and 2008 was very powerful too and bekcer wasn´t there.

edberg cames with a federer who was losing with everybody and playing like shit, and he helped federer to back to the elite at 33 and 34 years olds and playing slams finals again.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
I think Becker helped him in 3 segments:
- net play (obvious!)
- serve (harder, more consistent)
- mentality (gave him that German machine-like goal oriented focus, and less of the Slav melodramatic giving up on life and all shit)

As far as Edberg goes, I'd love seeing him get Roger sooner, would be curious to what could he have done differently.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,385 Posts
This. It's not like Djokovic won Wimbledon serving and volleying his way to the title :lol:

The bottom line is Becker has failed so far to help Djokovic wins the french, be it mentally or in his game.
Do you know if he was hired for this goal? How can you say that he failed then? Boris has nothing to offer to Nole for clay, this was known in advance. Better serve helps everywhere though.

·
Registered
645 Posts
how was Becker better player? they both have 6GS, they both missing RG, but Edberg played RG finals. Edberg was 72 weeks no1, while Becker "only" 12. lastly, Edberg played in 11 GS finals, Boris played in 10. only thing Becker has on his side is h2h, which he won by huge margin, 25-10. strangely enough, Edberg leads 3-1 at grand slams...

don't get me wrong, i think Boris was unique kind of player whos style of play define tennis of 90s, but Edberg is more accomplished player.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts