Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the idea was that the BBC was going to show us classic matches during what should have been the Wimbledon fortnight, but apparently not. They're in a convenient 3-hour afternoon slot on BBC2, so the conclusion is that they're all going to be edited down to fit. Disappointing :( I mean, it's not as if they're all live and the Beeb have no idea how long they're going to last, so it would mess with their schedules ...

Oh well, time to clear my hard drive of all the unwatched matches from last year, then.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Did you see the "King of Queens" show they did about Andy and his Queen's Club triumphs? I think that gives us a hint at how the BBC are going to do these Wimbledon re-runs.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Did you see the "King of Queens" show they did about Andy and his Queen's Club triumphs? I think that gives us a hint at how the BBC are going to do these Wimbledon re-runs.
And rightfully so. People want to see The King.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
1 hour of dumb montages, 1 hour of interviews from talking heads and 1 hour of actual tennis. The usual sports coverage bullshit.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
There's an evening show aswell.

They will surely put a full match on the red button, put Federer-Nadal full match from 2008 on before the SF last year IIRC. Will probably get 40-15 full match again at some point in next two weeks.

I'm guessing afternoon will be two hours like the classic euros game they've been showing for last month.

When you think about it you can fit many good matches into that timeframe if you just edit out all the change of ends/toilet breaks/ injury time outs.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Wimbledon's is also doing to be showing classic matches daily, which I assume will be different to the BBC's coverage. I was a little disappointed by some omissions from the BBC's schedule, but I'm wondering if that's because Wimbledon are showing some others too.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
First Wimbledon rewind is Nadal-Federer 2008 on Monday. It's on from half 1 to half 4 so as I said other day just cut out all the change of ends and breaks between sets and you wouldn't be far off showing the full match.

Then there's a panel show in the evening with Sue Barker, Henman, Becker, McEnroe and Navratilova.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I miss Sue Barker.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Ill be watching, need to get my fix even if they're old matches

·
9,494 Posts
My god....

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Wimbledon's is also doing to be showing classic matches daily, which I assume will be different to the BBC's coverage. I was a little disappointed by some omissions from the BBC's schedule, but I'm wondering if that's because Wimbledon are showing some others too.
wimbledon.com is providing 3-5 extra matches per day (from the relevant round) - today's matches include 1996 Henman vs Kafelnikov so I'm very happy!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
See Rochus-Djokovic from 2010 been put up aswell.

Federer-Nadal underway. Fed just played identical approach shot to Nadal as MP number 2 in last year's final. Nadal hit the pass straight at him and he put away the volley.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Just rewatched the 2008 W final and what a match it was, still love the drama in this tie breaker, great play all round:

Reactions: alypen

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Fed did well to take it to 5 sets. Really stepped things up in the tie breaks as oppossed to last year....
Djokovic was a wall in those tiebreaks, 100% focused. The harder you hit the quickest the ball will come back to your side... The only chance for Federer would have been to hit perfect serves and put tremendous pressure on Djokovic as neutral rallies weren't going in his favor.

For me 2019 final was better than 2008 one..

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Think I must have missed that one ...

They will surely put a full match on the red button, put Federer-Nadal full match from 2008 on before the SF last year IIRC.
As it happens, nope - Red Button is too busy providing programmes for home schooling all day, and then repeating both parts of the Wimbledon "coverage" overnight.

Actually, the two seem to be in collusion: Wimbledon is just showing the full matches of what the BBC is showing edited highlights of in the evening, so the choice is a bit more limited than I was expecting.

wimbledon.com is providing 3-5 extra matches per day (from the relevant round) - today's matches include 1996 Henman vs Kafelnikov so I'm very happy!
Me too. Looking forward to watching that over the weekend. Tim looks as though he ought still to have been at school in that film!

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
Djokovic was a wall in those tiebreaks, 100% focused. The harder you hit the quickest the ball will come back to your side... The only chance for Federer would have been to hit perfect serves and put tremendous pressure on Djokovic as neutral rallies weren't going in his favor.

For me 2019 final was better than 2008 one..
This is the most off opinion I have ever read by a serious poster here.

Not just was Federer worse than in the semifinal, Djokovic was plain average and never played his A game except in the tiebreaks.

How many winners did he hit off the ground? 4?

He legit gave away 2 sets.

Just insane to even compare it to 2008.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
This is the most off opinion I have ever read by a serious poster here.

Not just was Federer worse than in the semifinal, Djokovic was plain average and never played his A game except in the tiebreaks.

How many winners did he hit off the ground? 4?

He legit gave away 2 sets.

Just insane to even compare it to 2008.
Well, first we have to agree that in general Federer-Djokovic produce better matches than Federer-Nadal, it could be the high tempo of the rallies, Djokovic supreme returning it is just more pleasing to the eye. Nadal plays a more predictable game and probably this alter my interpretation of quality.

Those finals were no different to other matches in their rivalry. At the time i didn't like that 2008 ended in the dark but it was the same for both and if anything gave an advantage to Federer and his serving, but still quality in the 5th wasn't stellar. 2019 was up and down (due to Djokovic fluctuations) but there were patches where both seemed like they could not miss, despite the high groundrokes speed. The 5th set was crazy...

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
Well, first we have to agree that in general Federer-Djokovic produce better matches than Federer-Nadal, it could be the high tempo of the rallies, Djokovic supreme returning it is just more pleasing to the eye. Nadal plays a more predictable game and probably this alter my interpretation of quality.

Those finals were no different to other matches in their rivalry. At the time i didn't like that 2008 ended in the dark but it was the same for both and if anything gave an advantage to Federer and his serving, but still quality in the 5th wasn't stellar. 2019 was up and down (due to Djokovic fluctuations) but there were patches where both seemed like they could not miss, despite the high groundrokes speed. The 5th set was crazy...

How do you want to argue any legit talking point if that is your preface?

The 08 rallies were faster than in 19, dude.

The fifth set wasnt crazy. Federer and Djokovic each had one horrendous self-break, and 2 more bad losses of service. There were crazy moments, but it never managed to create any spectacular points on big points. It was just error error error...

Djokovic didn't even play a great first set tiebreak, Federer just couldnt take advantage of Djokovic's passiveness.

When you are legitimately trying to compare a performance in which one player was being more so a wall and having a pretty weak forehand for the whole match vs another who tried attacking but choked repeatedly to a match considered the greatest ever, you went off the deep end. That 08 final has classic shotmaking, rallies, clutcher moments, more consistent level of play...

Thats all I'll say on this. Would be a waste of time to argue against something no one believes in anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts