Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Cheesus Christ that was dreadful. Umpire should have defaulted them both for crimes against tennis, and given the R2 spot to someone with more talent (ie one of the ballboys).

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
lindell :woohoo: well done guy!!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Souza a walking bye since that Davis Cup. How can an almost worthless match cause such a terrible change in player's season...

·
Bring it Home
21,072 Posts
I only watched the last game. I saw Lindell served for the match in the game before and was broken. Then Souza served at 5-4 and 30-15 and made 3 straight UE's.
PS May had been four, but I couldn't saw the 30-0 point, I was turning the streaming on. :lol:

Souza started the year well, but after that tough loss to Mayer in Davis Cup, he basically disappeared. No ATP tournament win since February. :facepalm:

Lindell was born in Rio btw, so this was some kind of national derby. And he will play another derby in the next round: either Bellucci or Ymer. :lol:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I only watched the last game. I saw Lindell served for the match in the game before and was broken. Then Souza served at 5-4 and 30-15 and made 3 straight UE's.
PS May had been four, but I couldn't saw the 30-0 point, I was turning the streaming on. :lol:

Souza started the year well, but after that tough loss to Mayer in Davis Cup, he basically disappeared. No ATP tournament win since February. :facepalm:

Lindell was born in Rio btw, so this was some kind of national derby. And he will play another derby in the next round: either Bellucci or Ymer. :lol:
The point you are referring to was without a shadow of doubt the best point Lindell won in the third set. Probably the match, but I didn't see more than the third:

- He hit a decent return, and followed it up with a backhand DTL that was (almost) a clean winner! Remarkable stuff.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

Not trying to spark a debate here, but one has to wonder why the swedes (as would norwegians and probably most of europe) see both Ymer and Lindell as swedes. Ymer is born and raised in Sweden, but has no swede ethnicity. Lindell was born and raised in Brazil, but is an ethnic swede. Zero overlap between the two.

It truly is the flag people root for.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Not trying to spark a debate here, but one has to wonder why the swedes (as would norwegians and probably most of europe) see both Ymer and Lindell as swedes. Ymer is born and raised in Sweden, but has no swede ethnicity. Lindell was born and raised in Brazil, but is an ethnic swede. Zero overlap between the two.

Well, Dustin Brown is a German national, plays under Germany, but looks completely Jamaican and has an anglo name. He probably plays for Germany because of federation support, which may also have been the reason Lindell chose to play for Sweden.

It has been the case ever since the immigrants from the colonies started moving into Europe, marrying European nationals and claiming European nationalities, which was a while ago in some countries like France, so it's difficult to "stop" this now.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Unless you are a country with little to no immigration, nationality and ethnicity have nothing to do with each other. Look at the US. There is no true ethnic American other than the Natives. Ymer may be ethnically be Ethiopian but he was born in Sweden therefore he's Swedish. Lindell could have claimed Brazilian nationality if he wanted to (although I am not sure if they would have accepted it).

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Unless you are a country with little to no immigration, nationality and ethnicity have nothing to do with each other. Look at the US. There is no true ethnic American other than the Natives. Ymer may be ethnically be Ethiopian but he was born in Sweden therefore he's Swedish. Lindell could have claimed Brazilian nationality if he wanted to (although I am not sure if they would have accepted it).
Lindell actually represented Brazil in 2012 (from January to June), before "coming back" to Sweden.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts

Well like you say its two different cases but both can make a good claim to play for Sweden. Lindell has a swedish father and does indeed look very swedish even if he's born and raised in Brazil. The Ymer bros are born in Sweden but of Ethiopian decent. Both Lindell and the Ymers also speak perfect swedish, which helps. It's not like in athletics where i think Sweden, Norway and Denmark might have been pushing it sometimes.

·
Registered
97,309 Posts
Well, Dustin Brown is a German national, plays under Germany, but looks completely Jamaican and has an anglo name. He probably plays for Germany because of federation support, which may also have been the reason Lindell chose to play for Sweden.

It has been the case ever since the immigrants from the colonies started moving into Europe, marrying European nationals and claiming European nationalities, which was a while ago in some countries like France, so it's difficult to "stop" this now.
Dustin's mom is German, so there is some link to this country :)

·
Registered
474 Posts

Personally I have no problem to see Lindell and the Ymer Brother's as Swedes. Just like I see Tsonga and Monfils as French even though Tsonga is only "half" French. He has a french mother and a Congolese father and Monfils both parents are originally from Guadeloupe. It's just a reflexion of what many European countries look like.

·
Premium Member
29,536 Posts

If they are citizens of Sweden and grew up here/live here then they are Swedes. :shrug: They speak the language too. Why would you NOT see them as Swedes is the more relevant question. In fact they would probably feel insulted if someone said that to them, especially the Ymer brothers.

Tsonga is French. That you can see he is of African descent is irrelevant.

·
MONSOON season.
82,384 Posts
Lindell qualifying for RG was already incomprehensible, but now he reaches the second round of an ATP event too :spit: Last week he almost ate a double bagel in a match that clearly showed how poor he is.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Lindell qualifying for RG was already incomprehensible, but now he reaches the second round of an ATP event too :spit: Last week he almost ate a double bagel in a match that clearly showed how poor he is.
He was pretty bad today, but Souza was something else. At one point he had a nice setup on a forehand, plenty of time, you expected him to make it count ....... he just about hits the back fence.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Dustin's mom is German, so there is some link to this country :)
Yeah, which is why he has the nationality, but he looks much more "Jamaican" than "German", and seems to follow the Jamaican traditions as well (since he wears dreads). Still, why would he play under Jamaican flag when Germany supports their players much better? I don't even know if Jamaica has a functioning tennis association...

I'm from Brazil and, if I was a tennis player and had dual citizenship with somewhere like Spain or France, I wouldn't think twice about playing for those countries instead of Brazil, as the associations are much more supportive in those countries than here (it's a miracle we have a slam winner, actually).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts