Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bastad R2 Bolelli def. Schwartzman 7-6(10-8), 6-3

great win for simone. battled back from behind after going down an early break in the first set and then again when he went down a double MB in the tiebreaker . third set he got broken early again but broke right back and then broke again to take a lead he would not relinquish.

laaksonen next. very winnable for him. would love to see him go all the way here

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Great win for SiBo, his best win by ranking for the year. Into his second ATP QF of the year and with Laaksonen next you would hope he has a good chance to make his first ATP SF in a very long time.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
NO NO NO ... You cant win like that.
You cannt win without winning a service game with authority
You cant win with WTA services

I dont know what happens to Schwartzman. He play against great players on equal terms and then this happens.

In addition to the appalling service, he plays hasty, misaligned. discouraging

Is it something psychological?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts

I dont know what happens to Schwartzman. He play against great players on equal terms and then this happens.

Schwartzman has been pretty inconsistent this year anyhow, outside of AO, Rio and RG he just looks like a player ranked around the 40s. I think it’s partly because he doesn’t have a serve and has to put 100% intensity at all times to win matches, while sometimes he just can’t focus that well.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,632 Posts

I don't consider this psychological at all but a natural consequence of his gamestyle and limitations. Sure it appears that he is able to bring a high level when playing Nadal for example. But in general he does have to work very hard due to lack of a powerful serve. Diego must rely on his other assets such as footspeed, return prowess, tenacity and consistency off the ground to unravel his opponents. He didn't lose that badly all considered, and you should remember Bolelli himself almost took a set off Nadal at Roland Garros and is a dangerous opponent on his day. Diego won't be able to win every match against lower ranked opponents which is fine and normal. I don't think he'd change that either, being ranked #11 on ATP winning some big matches and even titles given his physical limitations is something that keeps his spirit alive and well. Don't forget he was down 2-0 in sets very badly with Kevin Anderson serving for the match at RG in two different sets and managed to come back. That is psychological strength.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Shame, Diego's record in 250s is pretty dire this year. But good win for Bolelli anyway, he deserves a higher ranking

Where is the Diegoat troll??
KARMA!!!! Hahaha
Here I am, muppet. Unlike you I don't spout pretentious bullshit before the match has even started, and rarely ever discredit players who manage to beat my favourite players (unless they're genuinely cheating), so I think you really need to re-evaluate your definition of "karma"

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Shame, Diego's record in 250s is pretty dire this year. But good win for Bolelli anyway, he deserves a higher ranking

Here I am, muppet. Unlike you I don't spout pretentious bullshit before the match has even started, and rarely ever discredit players who manage to beat my favourite players (unless they're genuinely cheating), so I think you really need to re-evaluate your definition of "karma"
Hahaha U called me muppet! How old are u?:bowdown:
I cant wait to see your kid out of the Top 100 next year>:):bounce:

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Schwartzman has been pretty inconsistent this year anyhow, outside of AO, Rio and RG he just looks like a player ranked around the 40s. I think it’s partly because he doesn’t have a serve and has to put 100% intensity at all times to win matches, while sometimes he just can’t focus that well.
Well said. That's exactly the reason why he is having an inconsistent year. He had days when he was feeling not at his best physically, and with his size he needs to be at 100% physically. Other players can deal with that better because of their serve.

·
52,632 Posts

yeah hope Bolelli goes deep. Don't worry, Kei's record in 500 events since 2017 has been depressingly dire, many R1/R2 exits.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
This is a proof that Simone should have won at least one set against Nadal in RG, but he badly choked.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I don't consider this psychological at all but a natural consequence of his gamestyle and limitations. Sure it appears that he is able to bring a high level when playing Nadal for example. But in general he does have to work very hard due to lack of a powerful serve. Diego must rely on his other assets such as footspeed, return prowess, tenacity and consistency off the ground to unravel his opponents. He didn't lose that badly all considered, and you should remember Bolelli himself almost took a set off Nadal at Roland Garros and is a dangerous opponent on his day. Diego won't be able to win every match against lower ranked opponents which is fine and normal. I don't think he'd change that either, being ranked #11 on ATP winning some big matches and even titles given his physical limitations is something that keeps his spirit alive and well. Don't forget he was down 2-0 in sets very badly with Kevin Anderson serving for the match at RG in two different sets and managed to come back. That is psychological strength.
I adhere in large part to what you say.
Obvious that he can lose against smaller rivals. Although Bolelli is a veteran who can complicate the game to anyone, today he gives Diego many opportunities to get the score. Maybe with a good service game you make your opponent think.
I think I would have to improve his service a bit in some way, I dont think in force but in effects and angles.
Remember in Rome, Paire broke Diego's service with 3 return winners. That's very typical of the WTA tour. Unlike women it is easier for them to break the service of the rival again.
But as you say, the 11 is very generous for Diego. To be top ten you must be moderately good on all shots.

·
52,632 Posts
I adhere in large part to what you say.
Obvious that he can lose against smaller rivals. Although Bolelli is a veteran who can complicate the game to anyone, today he gives Diego many opportunities to get the score. Maybe with a good service game you make your opponent think.
I think I would have to improve his service a bit in some way, I dont think in force but in effects and angles.
Remember in Rome, Paire broke Diego's service with 3 return winners. That's very typical of the WTA tour. Unlike women it is easier for them to break the service of the rival again.
But as you say, the 11 is very generous for Diego. To be top ten you must be moderately good on all shots.
welcome to the present ATP tour. You can get to the top 10 at least for a little while by being a Sock or a Pouille. These two don't have nearly the work ethic or application of Diego. I think it would be a success for Diego to maintain top 20-top 30 at any rate.

Diego's serve is actually not as bad as some people make out (for his standards), but there is a threshold effect in terms of how much extra juice and effectiveness he can get out of it because he is literally (with Nishioka) the shortest player on tour, stature not much different to Halep on the WTA tour. He can make it more reliable I suppose but I'm not surprised he is probably one of the worst at holding serve and one of the best when it comes to breaking serve. It is very WTA like but I'm not sure he can alter it so much apart from introducing variation and improved placement. Paire's ROS of second serve also gave Kei a lot of trouble as well at RG, so Diego's not alone on that count.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts