Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very impressive from the 18 year old world number 310 (and Swedish number one :eek:). I've watched him win a Futures event here in The Netherlands only two weeks ago, but I wouldn't have expected him to win a match at the main level so soon already. He understandably choked a bit while serving for the match at 6-5, but quickly regained composure, saved 3 BP and didn't even need a tiebreak to close it out.

Next up is Sousa.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Of course Kukushkin gifted some points but he does it against everyone. Ymer did very well to win here especially after going down a break early. He's very gutsy on the important points and it paid off today. I doubt that the backhand at 6-5 30-40 was in though I wonder if he'd have won had it gone to a tb.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
future of swedish tennis =D

bit shaky in the end(lost the break he had), but could break again and serve it all! vamos

·
Registered
399 Posts
Very nice to see this result. I don't think we can say that Ymer choked in the end. Kukushkin tried to raise his game but couldn't do enough. Ymer saved some BP in the end with gutsy play. Few more years on that kid and he could do some serious damage on tour. He moves well, reads the game well and has good technique on his shots. Looks very strong for a 18 year old as well. I did expect he would give Kukushkin a good match today but not that he'd beat him in straight sets. This makes a Swedish tennis fan very happy to see.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Of course Kukushkin gifted some points but he does it against everyone. Ymer did very well to win here especially after going down a break early. He's very gutsy on the important points and it paid off today. I doubt that the backhand at 6-5 30-40 was in though I wonder if he'd have won had it gone to a tb.
Yeah, I only watched since the 5-5 game in the 2nd set, that backhand looked surely out. But Kukushkin was really nervous and in self-destruct mode. This is one of the "titans" Nadal faced in Wimbledon's week 1 and lost a set. :lol:

Good win for Ymer though. 2nd WC in a row he was given in this tournament and he made a good part in both. João Sousa next. Unlike Kukushkin, Sousa isn't a player who gives too much free points. Probably will be too much of a challenge to him.

·
Registered
431 Posts
expected this one tbh
There were some flashes of brilliance from Ymer, but also many short balls. Luckily Kukushkin was pretty average today.

I've seen most of the match at work today, also managed to sneak out to a local bookie across the road.
got 12 quid in return, a free lunch basically;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Great win. Hopefully he'll play much more challengers from now on.
that's exactly his thoughts
from the press:
"- With this victory, I will concentrate solely on playing challengers."

it's time really as he swept Futures nicely last couple of months, won 4 titles out of 6 tournaments
He's yet to lose a final as well

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Watched some of the second set.
Kuku was playing like crap and still almost turned it around from 2-4 down. Was expecting Ymer to get tighter and tighter and lose the second set (and match), but he proved me wrong. Kuku helped him a lot of course.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Wanna see more from Ymer before I get confident that he will become a top100 player but no doubt the brighest light in swedish tennis. It's kinda hard to keep up with the physicality of modern tennis at his age so I think he's clearly ahead of the curve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts