Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
João making his debut in ATP clay tournament final. Pablo making his debut in any ATP final.

I give slighty edge to Cuevas, since he'll be more rested and has a more natural clay game, but João winning wouldn't be shocking at all. I hope he does.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
51-49 in favour of Cuevas, I would say. Really close IF Sousa plays something like today.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a really odd poll. I generally see it as:

x in 2
x in 3
y in 2
y in 3

On topic, Sousa in 3, although that's liable to change given another poster's opinions.
I like to mix the usual MTF way of creating polls :p

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Huge on Cuevas.

Better claycourter. More savvy around the dirt, understands the dimensions of a claycourt so much well and better than Sousa. He will pepper the Sousa backhand and break it down, drawing short mid-court balls from it and then stepping in and having Sousa scampering, before leaving himself open courts to stroke winners into.

The more consistent depth on rally balls will prove the most pivotal factor in the end. Sousa can't keep the same depth with his backhand than Cuevas can on his backhand.

Backhand to backhand duels favor Cuevas. Plus he has that kick serve that will open the court up for him on a regular. Manipulates the ball a lot better on clay than your forehand dominant and dependent Sousa.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
The fact one of these guys is going to win the title tomorrow shows how much of a joke the tournament has been this year. A final between Cuevas and Sousa isn't going to get many people excited, let alone the sponsors for next year. I will go for Cuevas in 3 as at least he does not resort to the same tactics as Sousa.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
The fact one of these guys is going to win the title tomorrow shows how much of a joke the tournament has been this year. A final between Cuevas and Sousa isn't going to get many people excited, let alone the sponsors for next year. I will go for Cuevas in 3 as at least he does not resort to the same tactics as Sousa.
If Cuevas' prime years hadn't been taken away due to injury, I think seeing him in clay-court finals at this level wouldn't be so unusual. He really is a very good player on clay, and Sousa is beginning to establish himself as a top 50 player on all surfaces. This is not a bad final. Not the best, but it could certainly have been less appetising that this.

I'm going against my heart, and saying Sousa in straights.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
^On what basis. He took Nando to 5 sets at the French too? Have you seen Cuevas lately, he has lost nothing. Don't base this on age.

·
undefeated.
330 Posts
It is definitely not Pablo's year. It can be observed from the very beginning. It doesn't mean he doesn't play excellent matches here and there, but overall his form has dipped and he has to address it.

Sousa, the Portuguese GOAT, in 2 easy sets. quote me

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
No chance. Cuevas will school him, EASILY. Quote me too.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
If Cuevas' prime years hadn't been taken away due to injury, I think seeing him in clay-court finals at this level wouldn't be so unusual. He really is a very good player on clay, and Sousa is beginning to establish himself as a top 50 player on all surfaces. This is not a bad final. Not the best, but it could certainly have been less appetising that this.

I'm going against my heart, and saying Sousa in straights.
Agree at 99% with you :yeah:

The 1% of difference? I'll follow my heart and say that Pablo will win tomorrow!! :p

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very interesting quote material right here. Can't wait for the final

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
^Oh yes, SIGNATURES at the ready. I will want an apology. Man's gone for the boomerang on this one with the wager as well.

Legs up, Bacardi on ice in one hand and tooth-pick in the other. AH! Don't fucking question me. :lol: What are you questioning me for, WIGGA?!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I would love to see Sousa winning this, but it will be hard of course. If this was Sousa's first ever ATP tour final, then I would go with Cuevas but luckily Sousa has at least some experience of playing in final matches (ATP tour level). João just needs to be mentally tough and he'll have a chance here.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Huge on Cuevas.

Better claycourter. More savvy around the dirt, understands the dimensions of a claycourt so much well and better than Sousa. He will pepper the Sousa backhand and break it down, drawing short mid-court balls from it and then stepping in and having Sousa scampering, before leaving himself open courts to stroke winners into.

The more consistent depth on rally balls will prove the most pivotal factor in the end. Sousa can't keep the same depth with his backhand than Cuevas can on his backhand.

Backhand to backhand duels favor Cuevas. Plus he has that kick serve that will open the court up for him on a regular. Manipulates the ball a lot better on clay than your forehand dominant and dependent Sousa.
thanks, sousa in 2 then.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts