Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is quite unique....

did anyone see this guy play before this year?

Hamburg was the first time I saw him play.

What was his game like, his flaws? Why didn't he establish sooner?

Massive forehand, solid serve and backhand...

I'm guessing he was quite erratic and moody?

He didn't do anything as a junior either.

Now at 26 wins two 500's and makes the USO 4R taking Nadal to a close 4-setter.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He gets bageled a lot lol, must give up sets quickly...

even this year he lost two 6-1 sets to Simon at WB, although he prolly tanked the 2nd after losing a close tiebreak. Refering to his moodyness.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'm guessing he was quite erratic and moody?
I am following him since early 2016. Used to be a very hit-or-miss player without much gameplan, a bit of a ballbasher. He is more cold-headed since 2018 and maybe he hired some good coach, idk ? Cause his game changed from ballbashiing to ballbashing with some ideas.

PS. And I love his backhand

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I've watched - I think - 2 or 3 matches vs Igor Sijsling. Sijsling was able to win a set in all matches, but lost them all (all on clay) and Basilashvili seemed to be a huge ball basher, but sometimes also spraying errors. Just checked and all matches were in 2016.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
He's added Jan de Witt (the best German coach) to his coaching team who is a very good coach.

His strokes have always been great and technically flawless but hitting every ball as hard as possible without any gameplan wasn't really succesful. Think he had some injury-problems as well. Right now he's playing with a bit more of a gameplan and looks like he has at least a slight clue of what he wants to do on the court (he's obviously still ballbashing hard). I'd say his serve has improved too, but it's still very poor in general.

He also did win many close matches in Hamburg for example (first round Beijing vs. Sockk was close too IIRC) even though he has always been a huge choker. I guess that's another part where de Witt has helped him.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I first watched him against Kokkinakis at the FO 2015 and the talent and shots were already there but for me it's clear that his serve has massively improved and he is more contained both with his emotions and shots (which result in fewer UEs).

Jan de Witt has done a tremendous job.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's added Jan de Witt (the best German coach) to his coaching team who is a very good coach.

His strokes have always been great and technically flawless but hitting every ball as hard as possible without any gameplan wasn't really succesful. Think he had some injury-problems as well. Right now he's playing with a bit more of a gameplan and looks like he has at least a slight clue of what he wants to do on the court (he's obviously still ballbashing hard). I'd say his serve has improved too, but it's still very poor in general.

He also did win many close matches in Hamburg for example (first round Beijing vs. Sockk was close too IIRC) even though he has always been a huge choker. I guess that's another part where de Witt has helped him.
Also just lost to Anderson in Vienna after having MP, but not sure how much of a chance he had that point.

Did he have injury struggles?

He didn't even make slams until 23.

His game is kind of like Khachanov's, who would you compare him to?

Or Rublev. Better serve than Rublev, obviously weaker than Khachanov.

His forehand has a different arc to it than those forehands though.

Rublev's is the most straight bullet, Khach's the most muscly, Edmund's is spinny with good clearance and control (also has the power if need be), and his seems a mix of the spinny arc Edmund gets and unabbreviated power (like Thiem's, who probably has the biggest swing/follow-through of all when going for it).

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Actually missed the match against Anderson and didn't review the MP beacause a commentator mentioned how it went (have forgotten about it though :lol:).

Think it's tough to compare him with anybody (can't recall anybody playing like him), Rublev is rather FH-based while Basilashvili is more balanced and his BH is the slighly stronger wing technically and compared to Khachanov his technique is much cleaner while Khachanovs is a bit iffy on both sides.

If I had to chose though, I'd compare him Rublev. Both aggressive ballstrikers with flat and clean strokes, comparable service strength and rather suspicious defensive abilities.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually missed the match against Anderson and didn't review the MP beacause a commentator mentioned how it went (have forgotten about it though :lol:).

Think it's tough to compare him with anybody (can't recall anybody playing like him), Rublev is rather FH-based while Basilashvili is more balanced and his BH is the slighly stronger wing technically and compared to Khachanov his technique is much cleaner while Khachanovs is a bit iffy on both sides.

If I had to chose though, I'd compare him Rublev. Both aggressive ballstrikers with flat and clean strokes, comparable service strength and rather suspicious defensive abilities.
Interesting.

Also interesting that you say his BH is stronger technically.

I thought his backhand was more pushy, like he had to exert more energy on it than his forehand for normal rally shots.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
He plays exactly like Tursunov used to play, with a bit more talent but a considerably weaker serve.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Interesting.

Also interesting that you say his BH is stronger technically.

I thought his backhand was more pushy, like he had to exert more energy on it than his forehand for normal rally shots.
I'd rank his strokes shomehow like that:

FH: 8/10
BH: 9-9.5/10
Serve: 5/10

Think there's is a bigger difference between his FH and the absolute best FHs than it is the case with his BH which I rate as one of the strongest in the game.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd rank his strokes shomehow like that:

FH: 8/10
BH: 9-9.5/10
Serve: 5/10

Think there's is a bigger difference between his FH and the absolute best FHs than it is the case with his BH which I rate as one of the strongest in the game.
wow, this is news to me.

On a relative basis (considering forehands are naturally "better") or his backhand actually being the better, more damaging stroke?

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
wow, this is news to me.

On a relative basis (considering forehands are naturally "better") or his backhand actually being the better, more damaging stroke?
Relative basis, otherwise his FH is stronger. So it does make sense for him to run around his BH to some degree.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
First serve effectiveness has improved a lot - he kills the rally or does a lot of damage on his first groundstroke now. Before he would make the wrong choice ......... or just hit it in the net :)

I watched his run through Kitz 2016, that was the first time it looked like he might have a good top 40/50 future.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
He plays exactly like Tursunov used to play, with a bit more talent but a considerably weaker serve.
Sorry but I don't see the resemblance at all.

Tursunov, what a strange and underachieving career for somebody with such big weapons. Almost never appeared threatening to top players.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
He's a rising force in the ATP and really progressing nicely but on court his personality is on the bland side, lacking charisma and passion.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
I just find him a standard run-of-the mill ball basher. When he peaks he can trouble almost everyone, but usually is just too inconsistent to do anything great.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Sorry but I don't see the resemblance at all.

Tursunov, what a strange and underachieving career for somebody with such big weapons. Almost never appeared threatening to top players.
Basilashvilli has big weapons too, his strokes can be jaw dropping at times. Tursunov did have the big serve on top of it but his game was easy enough to neutralize for the top players, he had a short lived period at the top of his game.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts