Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toni Nadal in l’Equipe on Rafa’s win over Ramos:

"It’s not working. No, nothing worked. He wasn’t feeling it, he didn’t play well, he moved badly, he made too many errors, he had no forehand, no backhand. Pffft. He’s too tense to play, and that prevents him from returning to his best. His loss in Monte-Carlo affected him. He gives it too much importance. Suddenly he has doubts. He needs to win tomorrow to try and get better."

Uncle Toni seems harder on Rafa than MTF's worst critics.

-------

"I played dull but with passion and intensity," admitted Nadal.

Before tackling the last game of the match against Ramos, Nadal called for the presence of physio, who gave him a pill. Asked at a press conference, Nadal confessed that it was for a few cramps in his hand, caused by: "I would say the tension," he explained. But what produces this tension?

Does Toni have it right? Discuss what ails Nadal, and how he can turn this around.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Stan destroyed his will in Australia and then just when he had seemed to get it back 2 months later, Novak beat him in Miami. It may be a while yet until he's back to normal.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stan destroyed his will in Australia and then just when he had seemed to get it back 2 months later, Novak beat him in Miami. It may be a while yet until he's back to normal.
Good point, and not to mention his compatriot Ferrer beating him in Monte Carlo for the first time in 10 years on clay, with Wawrinka looming in the draw. Fighting the emotions loss after loss is like trying to stop lava coming down the volcano.

But I think it may all stem from a lack of fitness and training that he gave up by playing exhibitions, etc during the winter break. That put him in jeopardy in Australia, then the back problems, he couldn't train as hard, and it's like a vicious cycle. Now he's depending on matches to get in form, but he's not going deep enough.

Maybe he just needs to get on the court for 4-6 hours a day and work his butt off and forget the recent setbacks, or use them to motivate himself.

Obviously, a few good wins wouldn't hurt his confidence either.
He will play either Verdasco or Almagro, if he survives Dodig.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Good point, and not to mention his compatriot Ferrer beating him in Monte Carlo for the first time in 10 years on clay, with Wawrinka looming in the draw. Fighting the emotions loss after loss is like trying to stop lava coming down the volcano.

But I think it may all stem from a lack of fitness and training that he gave up by playing exhibitions, etc during the winter break. That put him in jeopardy in Australia, then the back problems, he couldn't train as hard, and it's like a vicious cycle. Now he's depending on matches to get in form, but he's not going deep enough.

Maybe he just needs to get on the court for 4-6 hours a day and work his butt off and forget the recent setbacks, or use them to motivate himself.

Obviously, a few good wins wouldn't hurt his confidence either.
He will play either Verdasco or Almagro, if he survives Dodig.

Respectfully,
masterclass
He'll probably win Barcelona as usual. Apart from the AO and Miami before his losses there, I just haven't seen the normal Rafa mentality (or the game to go with it), though. Odd year for him. I suspect he'll be ready for RG, though.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I don't see the big deal. Nadal is not frikkin machine, he's had a few losses this year. but still has 2 titles and made 4 finals

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
Knew Nadull reads MTF. Wonder which Nadulltard is secretly Nadull? Obviously the administrator is Uncle Tony that's well known.:shrug:

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Toni is right of course, but harsh. That is the way he has been with Nadal since he was a boy though.

Nadal is really down in the dumps. I couldn't believe how bad he actually was. It reminds me more and more of Fed's 2013.
Federer had a injured back but Nadal has a mental problem . I his head is only Federer,Federer,Federer for years. He only could blame his uncle Toni
who has a dangerous ambition and uses this young guy as a hourse.Federer and Nadal rivalry was great but Toni killed it.Now Federer even does not care about H2H or something else.Wawrinka had a mental problem after AO and Federer,Luti and everyone in Swiss team tried to help him. Why Nadal is so down just because Wawrinka beat him ? Does he ask himself how many times he did hurt Federer ? Federer is a Champion as him and they have a lot of close matches that went in his pocket.Their matches after AO09 got ugly and uglier.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yawn...Toni building the perfect storm for Dull again. This guy runs the Sun Tzu playbook year after year and ropes dope after dope.

Expect omgbamosonlysuperRRRRRafacanovercomesuchadversary Nadal to show at RG. Only I have a sneaking feeling this year that he has had his chips.

·
Registered
623 Posts
A small crisis maybe, but Nadal will get through this. I don't think Wawrinka has suddenly become his nightmare. I do wonder if at some point Nadal will get tired of all the Uncle Toni mental manipulation.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts

"It’s not working. No, nothing worked. He wasn’t feeling it, he didn’t play well, he moved badly, he made too many errors, he had no forehand, no backhand. Pffft. He’s too tense to play, and that prevents him from returning to his best. His loss in Monte-Carlo affected him. He gives it too much importance. Suddenly he has doubts. He needs to win tomorrow to try and get better."

-------

Before tackling the last game of the match against Ramos, Nadal called for the presence of physio, who gave him a pill. Asked at a press conference, Nadal confessed that it was for a few cramps in his hand[/SIZE], caused by: "I would say the tension," he explained. But what produces this tension?

Does Toni have it right? Discuss what ails Nadal, and how he can turn this around.

Respectfully,
masterclass

that's a new one Rafa,first it was a knee* then it became a back* now its cramps in the hands :lol: :rolleyes: :eek:

·
Registered
13,392 Posts

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Toni is right of course, but harsh. That is the way he has been with Nadal since he was a boy though.

Nadal is really down in the dumps. I couldn't believe how bad he actually was. It reminds me more and more of Fed's 2013.
:spit:

Nadal has a 500, 250, a Slam final and Masters final

its nothing like Mugerer last year :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I think he was extremely disappointed to not achieve the double Career GS, after him winning apparently being NID to everybody since Djoko went out in QFs. I don't think Stan broke his will or anything like that, just everything going smoothly for a Double Career GS, and that shattered with a silly temporary back injury. I always believed that Stan would have beaten him anyway. Nadal being mentally broken says something.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

-------

Before tackling the last game of the match against Ramos, Nadal called for the presence of physio, who gave him a pill. Asked at a press conference, Nadal confessed that it was for a few cramps in his hand, caused by: "I would say the tension," he explained. But what produces this tension?

Respectfully,
masterclass
Dull playing dull?:eek::confused:

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
All this stuff when he's still gonna win the French Open?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts