Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First set was tight affair, with breaks exchanged early on, then a late break for Gabashvili.
PCB fought well but another loose game in second set sealed it for him.
Gabashvili was more aggressive off both wings, especially FH, sets up interesting clash with Nishikori. Same time last yr, he took out Ferrer.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Should be a good first round clash with Nishikori, who should win in straights. A good solid test on clay.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Is this the future of Spanish tennis? Don't get me wrong nothing against PCB but losing to Gabashvilli on clay is not exactly a good sign is it..

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this the future of Spanish tennis? Don't get me wrong nothing against PCB but losing to Gabashvilli on clay is not exactly a good sign is it..
PCB hasn't had the start he wanted this year. There's just small moments, or lapses in his game and he finds himself behind. He had a real chance to beat Berlocq at Casablanca, but after losing the 2nd set tiebreak quickly faded, but still fought. It's a better situation gamewise than say Gulbis, who won just 1 game against AHM, but PCB still needs to learn how to tough out matches thick and thin.

Gabashvili is an underrated player on clay. Not consistent per se, but he's got good power to hit through the court and is not afraid to go for his shots. He beat Ferrer in R2 quite 'easily' 6-4 6-2 here last year.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
You're not the future of Spanish tennis just because you won 30 consecutive futures matches...

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Not claiming PCB is a future of anything, but Gaba's best surface is clay too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts