Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Too bad that Medvedev was hampered by an injury --- the first three games were a taste of what he can now do on the surface, and what the match could have been. Amazing angles and depth on his groundstrokes that unsettled Thiem for a while. But he only won one game after that and pretty much tanked the entire second set, so :shrug:

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Dropped the first 3 games and never looked back.

All along I knew Med needed to make his move in the first set and put it all on the line to win that. Yesterday's win over Nishikori exhausted him; those guys were playing 40 shot rallies.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
I thought that since Nadal was out we weren't going to get these kind of scorelines. :lol:

Congrats, Domi. :hatoff:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yes, Medvedev was exhausted, after his nice run in MC, I was already surprised to see here him in the final and against Dominator, the challenge was too much for him. So, the most beautiful title on clay is in the pocket for Dominic. I hope (and I would be disappointed if not) he wins now one of the 3 next big tournaments (so either Madrid, Rome or RG) and hopefully he can even win 2 of them (then that would be fantastic)

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Well done Thiem! After beating guys who feel comfortable on clay, it must be tough to deal with a player like Medvedev. He gave the crowd a master class.

Credit to the Russian though. To me Daniil looks very unnatural on clay so reaching the final in Barcelona is quite an achievement. Maybe some more salt next time? :wink2:

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
After unsuccessfully trying to match Medvedev's powerful flatter groundstrokes with his topspin, Thiem wisely went to variety, a lot of slice mixed in with drop shots, and the usual high topspin, and this did in the Russian, who later took a MTO (shoulder) between sets. Congrats to Dominic, fully deserved Barcelona title after overwhelming clay warrior yesterday. Commiserations to Daniil, who obviously played a good tournament.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
I was a fan of Thiem in 2014-15, but gave up on him... till yesterday.

Now he just backed up his great play yesterday with another signature match, with just epic slicebotting, IOFHs, timing, dropshotting Medvedev to death.

Granted, the Russian was not in greatest shape, but he also could not sustain his shotmaking after getting dumped at 4-5* and pretty much disappeared in 2nd set.

Now Thiem is the real favorite to win RG!!!

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Medvedev did well in the first three games, but he when better and more natural claycourters find ways to properly construct points like Thiem today or Lajovic last week, it becomes problematic for him. Regarless of whether he was injured or not.

As for Thiem, he surely has improved over last few year gamewise (and by a lot I think), but his main problem has always been that he wasn't able to find his best level when it matters and fail in the crucial moments. Looking at the two tournaments he won this year, those problems hopefully belong to the past.

·
Premium Member
8,288 Posts
I must admit I don't watch Thiem's matches at every tournament, but I watched all of his matches this week and I was very impressed with him. He played with so much intelligence and varitey. It wasn't just bashing the ball as hard as he could. He used angles, different pace on his ground strokes, and threw in tons of slices and dropshots. So much variety. He surely has the game to be a great player not just on clay, but on all surfaces. For me, he is the second favourite for the French Open behind Nadal. I don't see anyone but Nadal beating him there.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Thiem becomes the first player not name Nadal to win the trophy at Court Rafa Nadal! Completely deserved :worship:

Dominic is actually becoming one of my favorites players to watch on tour, his game is so smooth on Clay.

Medvedev with back to back SF and Final in Monte Carlo and Barcelona, not to shabby for someone that wasn't supposed to be good on Clay. :tennis:

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Thiem becomes the first player not name Nadal to win the trophy at Court Rafa Nadal! Completely deserved :worship:

Dominic is actually becoming one of my favorites players to watch on tour, his game is so smooth on Clay.

Medvedev with back to back Finals in Monte Carlo and Barcelona, not to shabby for someone that wasn't supposed to be good on Clay. :tennis:
Medvedev wasn’t in the Monte Carlo final. He lost to lajovic after being up 5:1 in the first set...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts