Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.blackrocktourofchampions.com/5/news/2008/barcelona_sunday.asp
Rios Fires Back to Claim Barcelona Title

Marcelo Rios came back from an early service loss to defeat Michael Stich 6-3, 6-3 and win the title at the BlackRock Tour of Champions event in Barcelona.

Rios, who dominated the circuit of former World No.1’s, Grand Slam finalists and Davis Cup winners in 2006, began what could be another impressive year in fine style.

Stich caused him trouble early on with his serve and volley style, but Rios eventually got to grips with the German and pummelled away from the baseline.

“It’s nice to come here to Barcelona and win the title,” said Rios.

“Stich is tough to play because he is always at the net, but I played pretty good. When I play an event I try to get in good shape so that I can play good tennis.”

Stich was disappointed to have been re-broken after starting so well.

“I had my chances, but I wasn’t moving well enough today and Marcelo is still very fit and strong,” said Stich. “He played well today and he has such variety with short angled backhands and high looping forehands. He would still give the guys today trouble with that style.”

Third place went to Cedric Pioline, whose opponent Albert Costa was forced to retire with an injury while 7-6, 3-1 down.

Next, the BlackRock Tour of Champions will visit the Foro Italico in Rome over the weekend of the 10th and 11th May, and then the BlackRock Tennis Classic at the Rothenbaum Club in Hamburg, 14-18 May.

After that, Pete Sampras will make his long awaited debut on the BlackRock Tour of Champions in Sao Paulo, 21-24 May, 2008.
Probably the biggest disappointment was that Rios didn't get to play Bruguera who got injured.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
haha gj chino.

he will own sampras too , just to show all those exhos with fed are faked :p

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
that was last sunday

CH1NO :worship:

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rios vs. Bruguera on clay would have been an awesome match to watch.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts
El Aynaoui in ATP semis, Rios 4 years younger and plays with the oldies

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
Good stuff Chino.

Chino isn't playing ATP because I think he doesn't like to lose, and he wouldn't be on top with his usual attitude. Though it's enough to beat some oldies.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
I wonder why Rios didn't choose to come back to tour. Still young and with plenty to achieve.

It must be so depressing to be reduced to beating players who are approaching 40. If I was him I would feel like a kid in an old folks home.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I wonder why Rios didn't choose to come back to tour. Still young and with plenty to achieve.

It must be so depressing to be reduced to beating players who are approaching 40. If I was him I would feel like a kid in an old folks home.
Because he is too lazy to work hard enough to reach his potential. Playing on the Senior Tour allows him to think he is a winner, when in reality, he is a pathetic underachiever.

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
I'm glad Stich at least was in the final. Stich always had a underrated claycourt game, but Rios normally is too strong and still too good in shape, so there's not so much chance to beat him.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Chino isn't playing ATP because I think he doesn't like to lose, and he wouldn't be on top with his usual attitude. Though it's enough to beat some oldies.
Actually ... I remember looking this up when he started playing with the veterans. As it turns out he has something of a chronic back injury, did not want surgery and retired afterwards. But he can play little bits apparently.

Oh and anyone who thinks he gonna own Sampras is kidding himself, Sampras will wipe the court with him.

Go Pete !! :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts