Mens Tennis Forums banner

961 - 980 of 1017 Posts

·
Registered
7,211 Posts

·
Registered
27,177 Posts
I'm still waiting for big 75's charity vote in PopAssCon.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
You are underratng yourself. If you can play tennis for a few hours (which is interval type of excercise) I think you would be able to perform long steady uphill workout without any problems (maybe going faster than me). Especially low body mass helps in this situation (more watts per kilogram directly translates into vertical velocity). When doing long uphill trek you just need to set you own tempo (no rush, breath control) and make breaks if needed. Hydration and eating are important but that's obvious.
I play doubles more often than singles. I do not think I can last nearly as long in singles. There's already a huge difference.

I have the stamina but I am slow with uphill workout. Breathing is a problem for me very often, although I can quickly recover with a break of one minute. I tend to be better at short sprints with breaks.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
I have the stamina but I am slow with uphill workout. Breathing is a problem for me very often, although I can quickly recover with a break of one minute. I tend to be better at short sprints with breaks.
It's a question of tempo, you probably start too fast and run out of oxygen quickly. One can't maintain solid upstairs tempo during long uphill hike at the altitude (except highly trained individuals). You just have to go slowly. Altitude is important as well: above 2000 m. a drop in aerobic capacity can be felt (breathlessness), especially if it's your first or second day in the mountains (having spent most of your time at sea level). A few days of hiking at 2000+ should effect in noticable improvement in this regard (especially when spending nights at altitude as well).

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Supercell have you thought about hiking in America? My state happens to be the best for hiking in the world.. I mean in the US.
Yeah, absolutely. I've been thinking about it for some time. There are a lot of places I'd like to see in North America (headlined by places like Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Denali National Park, various places in the Rockies (both Canada and USA)). Not sure about timing though: in the summer I have time for a longer trip but the weather in south-western US is so hot at this time. Maybe I will make a separate spring trip (i.e. in April) to see California and Arizona and concentrate on northern US/Canada in the summer.

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
Yeah, absolutely. I've been thinking about it for some time. There are a lot of places I'd like to see in North America (headlined by places like Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Denali National Park, various places in the Rockies (both Canada and USA)). Not sure about timing though: in the summer I have time for a longer trip but the weather in south-western US is so hot at this time. Maybe I will make a separate spring trip (i.e. in April) to see California and Arizona and concentrate on northern US/Canada in the summer.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
watched couple of netflix films

the irishman 7,5/10 (incredible cast, but the story was weak IMO)
marriage story 8 / 10 (loved it, adam driver is an incredible actor, scarlett was also good, nice harmony)

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
watched couple of netflix films

the irishman 7,5/10 (incredible cast, but the story was weak IMO)
marriage story 8 / 10 (loved it, adam driver is an incredible actor, scarlett was also good, nice harmony)
6 underground is brilliant. Just added to netflix... also you either ignored or did not see my pm :ROFLMAO: :eek:

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
I saw mate, just forgot to reply! thanks yeah I am an old man now in MTF terms, almost 7 years here, so I grew bored of that stuff. nice of you to think.
Watch that film dude, a ryan reynolds masterpiece! Its like deadpool. Although not sure if you liked. Is discord still active?

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Twas there 1.5 months ago to attend a gaming conference. It's a really neat site. The tram network is very handy, I didn't have to pay anything in the city.
How is the tram free in the city though? I found it unbelievable that I didn't have to pay for transport in Melbourne.

Melbourne also has some of the best restaurants that I have been to. Truly a great place.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Andes are completely exotic to me and I've never been there. Surely I'd like to visit them, especially Patagonian ranges, Cordillera Blanca in Peru and big volcanoes as well.
No, grew up in Santiago de Chile and as a kid always missed those mountains when I came here to the near of Stuttgart.Always got those vibes back when I was in Innsbruck where I’m quite often due to several reasons. Was just there again for a day last weekend and could enjoy closing ACC threads in the mountains late night.
Sadly South America remains an unknown continent for me. The land is too unfamiliar for me to make a first step, although in South America Machu Picchu in Peru has always been kind of a bucket list item for me since I started travel. Hopefully the occasion arises someday.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Just like tennis pros I also had an off-season. I spent it on my dream island - Tenerife. Here are some facts about this amazing place:
  • Tenerife belongs to the Canary Islands, a volcanic archipelago close to western coast of Africa. It is a Spanish territory.
  • It has a warm, pleasant climate: in coldest months sea level daily temperatures are 20-25°C (and at least 15°C at night) so it's a perfect winter destination for Europeans (about 5 hours of flight from the central Europe). It's called the island of eternal spring for a reason.
  • Despite relatively small size (just 20-40 km of width and 70 km of length) Tenerife is one of highest islands on Earth. Teide volcano (3718 m.a.s.l.) is highest point of Atlantic and highest in the EU (except the Alps). This makes Tenerife a diverse 3-dimensional masterpiece, a continent in miniature, a mini-paradise.
  • Two parts of the island belong to different climate zones (orographic precipitation in the north and rain shadow in the south) plus elevation obviously influences the landscape very strongly. Tropical, warm coasts and snowy mountain. Dense forests and volcanic desert. Rocky cliffs and green hills. Rumbling ocean and sea of clouds. All just kilometers from each other. Every day I felt as if I had been visiting a different region of the world. The island's diversity can blow your mind.
Contrary to many tourists there (who spend time at the coast: beaches, bars, etc) I was hiking in various parts of the island. Here are the effects.

From tropics to snow (black beach in Puerto de la Cruz, which is probably the best base for the island exploration)

Angry ocean (huge waves crashing with rocks, notice villages on top of the cliffs).

A look from above (photo taken near the top of Teide: tropical coasts, forests, volcanic desert, mountains and snow in one picture)

Cheers from Mars (extraterrestrial landscape in the caldera of Teide volcano, basically sea of pumice)

Sea of clouds (green mountains above stratocumulus clouds from the ocean, pine forests are an important part of Tenerife landscape)

Steep world (Teno mountains, the famous Masca gorge seen from above, asphalt road at my feet, 600 meters below)

Morning in the mountains (hazy Teide above the green world).

Don't look down (Los Gigantes cliffs - almost 700 meters above the ocean).

Rural landscape (birds singing, green terrace fields and white mountain)

Green hills (located in NE of the island Anaga mountains is a great place for hikers)

Where ocean and mountains meet (tall cliffs in Anaga mountains)

Pleasant shadow (escape from sun-exposed slope and cactuses)

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
@Supercell It's very hard to make me jealous but you did. Wish I could see at least half of all those places you visited someday.
Actually it's the other way around. You've seen a lot in Europe (and even been to Poland!) while I shamefully haven't visited Asia yet :confused: My place selection is pretty good though.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Actually it's the other way around. You've seen a lot in Europe (and even been to Poland!) while I shamefully haven't visited Asia yet :confused: My place selection is pretty good though.
The reason why I have seen a lot in Europe is that I spent a year in the UK while I was in the uni (about 4 years ago) and I kind of became familar with it. Otherwise I might not have even visited it yet. Do you have any place you'd like to visit in Asia?

In Poland I have visited Krakow. Also paid a visit to Auschwitz. Maybe another city as well but my memory is failing me.

961 - 980 of 1017 Posts