Mens Tennis Forums banner

921 - 940 of 958 Posts

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
No, grew up in Santiago de Chile and as a kid always missed those mountains when I came here to the near of Stuttgart.Always got those vibes back when I was in Innsbruck where I’m quite often due to several reasons. Was just there again for a day last weekend and could enjoy closing ACC threads in the mountains late night.

Never been to Peru sadly, that’s for sure my goal once I hit the 30s and have some money. As for now Tatry mountains are my next place to be there, wanted to visit them from both sides. Sadly my Polish is really basic, hope you get through with English don’t you?

Best time to visit Berchtesgaden is especially late April to start June, been there once in August and it was incredibly crowded. I dislike to be next to mountains or even wandering on them when theyre surrounded by too many
English should be enough to communicate in Poland, at least I think so ;) Unfortunately Polish Tatras are incredibly crowded - in the summer they are by far most crowded mountain range I've ever been to (which says a lot). Don't go there in July and August if you don't like it. June and September are better, part of May and October can be fine as well. In Slovakia it's better (less people) even in the middle of summer (still, less doesn't mean few people, more and more Poles go there).

This year for example one day thousands of people visited Morskie Oko (lake in Polish Tatras) but at the same time a few km away, on Slovakian side, I was hiking on a trail with very few people. Even on summer days some trails are calmer but one has to know which one ;)

·
The special one
13,500 Posts
Guys (@Spectator75 @Joe Speedboot @ne znam ali mozda @clearwaters @cmchelsea @Monsi @Andrej) , some time ago I promised mountain photos from this year. Here they are (with descriptions).

Left: El Caminito del rey (King's path) (Gaitanes gorge, Baetic mountains, Spain)
Right: Limestone sculptures (Planica valley, Julian Alps, Slovenia)

Left: Bird and lake (Hallstattersee, Salzburg Alps, Austria)
Right: Battle of spring and winter (Gozd Martuljek, Julian Alps, Slovenia)

Left: Rippled mirror (Obersee, Berchtesgaden Alps, Germany)
Right: Avalanche! (Watzmann, Berchtesgaden Alps, Germany)

Left: Steep world (Gruppo Sella, Dolomites, Italy)
Right: On the edge of vertical kilometer (Sass Pordoi, Dolomites, Italy)

Left: Road to heaven (Dolomites, Italy)
Right: Meadows and spires (Odle/Geisler group, Dolomites, Italy)

Left: The wall (Monte Civetta, Dolomites, Italy)
Right: Skyscrapers (Monte Agner, Dolomites, Italy)

Left: It's time to rest (Dolomites, Italy)
Right: Geological wonders (Tofane di Mezzo, Dolomites, Italy)

View attachment 352763

Left: Beauty at the sun set (Sorapiss, Dolomites, Italy)
Right: Islands on the sea of clouds (Belianske Tatry mountains, Slovakia)

Left: Deep colors (Morskie Oko and Czarny Staw ponds, Tatry mountains, Poland)
Right: Rocky world (Kiezmarska valley, Tatry mountains, Slovakia)

Left: Panoramic view (Tatry mountains, Slovakia)
Right: Valley of flowers (Gąsienicowa valley, Tatry mountains, Poland)

these are some awesome shots man. The only mountain I've ever climbed is Ben nevis, and that's not really that big, you should give it a try though, some great scenery if you go in the Summer :)

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
these are some awesome shots man. The only mountain I've ever climbed is Ben nevis, and that's not really that big, you should give it a try though, some great scenery if you go in the Summer :)
During some mountain trip I met Scotsmans and they discouraged me from going there in summer (midges!) recommending spring instead.

While Ben Nevis is not high in absolute terms vertical relief is large as Grampians' base is near sea level so this must be a solid hike.

·
The special one
13,500 Posts
During some mountain trip I met Scotsmans and they discouraged me from going there in summer (midges!) recommending spring instead.

While Ben Nevis is not high in absolute terms vertical relief is large as Grampians' base is near sea level so this must be a solid hike.
It's quite tough. It's quite a rock mountain so I found it hard to come down, as strange as it might sound. Took me just over 5 hours to get up and down.

·
7,621 Posts
The bar clique is slowly reaching 1k. According to NT-rules I'd need to move this thread to the Chat threads :/

Guess I'd make an exception, unless you want your new home next to The Castle?

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
It's quite tough. It's quite a rock mountain so I found it hard to come down, as strange as it might sound. Took me just over 5 hours to get up and down.
This is not strange at all. Descends are technically harder, especially with steep terrain and loose stones. I've experienced quite a few nightmarish descends in my life, unfortunately the Dolomites have plenty of them (dolomite/limestone rocks are prone to erosion).

The bar clique is slowly reaching 1k. According to NT-rules I'd need to move this thread to the Chat threads :/

Guess I'd make an exception, unless you want your new home next to The Castle?
1000 posts? We'll have to make a party. I think it can stay here but actually it doesn't matter.

·
The special one
13,500 Posts
This is not strange at all. Descends are technically harder, especially with steep terrain and loose stones. I've experienced quite a few nightmarish descends in my life, unfortunately the Dolomites have plenty of them (dolomite/limestone rocks are prone to erosion).
If you're a hardcore mountain climber and like a challenge then I'd recommend you do the 3 peaks challenge. It's basically the biggest mountain challenge in the UK where you have to climb 3 mountains (Ben nevis, scafell pike in the North of England and finishes off in Snowden in Wales) in the space of 24 hours. I know a couple of people that did it and they said it was the biggest challenge of their life. I've never did it myself, just did Ben nevis, although the ben is the highest one out the 3, still that took me around 5 hours on its own so I doubt I would manage all 3, I would probably need to climb all 3 in 12 hours considering you'd be on the road the other 12 hours.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
@Supercell the new site sucks. I never receive notification of your name tag 🤦

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
1000 posts? We'll have to make a party. I think it can stay here but actually it doesn't matter.
I completely forgot how our clique was formed, until I checked out the chat thread.

And then I remember, Supercell you still owe me a drink.
Screenshot_20191201-000039.jpg

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I have also been to the mountain this year. Here's a picture taken at Riffelsee in the Swiss Alps where you can enjoy the view of Matterhorn.

Another view of Matterhorn at Stellisee when I did the 5 lakes walk from Sunnegga. I took the wrong way to descend after visiting this lake and it took me more than an hour to get to the second lake...

@Supercell I promise more photos will come.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
If you're a hardcore mountain climber and like a challenge then I'd recommend you do the 3 peaks challenge. It's basically the biggest mountain challenge in the UK where you have to climb 3 mountains (Ben nevis, scafell pike in the North of England and finishes off in Snowden in Wales) in the space of 24 hours. I know a couple of people that did it and they said it was the biggest challenge of their life. I've never did it myself, just did Ben nevis, although the ben is the highest one out the 3, still that took me around 5 hours on its own so I doubt I would manage all 3, I would probably need to climb all 3 in 12 hours considering you'd be on the road the other 12 hours.
Rushing in the mountains is definitely not for me, I hate it. I can accelerate on uphill sections sometimes but I usually spend as much time as possible in good viewpoints. To me it's not about performance but about admiring nature (and I can't do it when rushing and looking at my feet). Anyway, my aerobic capacity is not high enough to do some challenges.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I may visit them in the future (but not in one day :))

·
7,621 Posts
I have also been to the mountain this year. Here's a picture taken at Riffelsee in the Swiss Alps where you can enjoy the view of Matterhorn.
View attachment 352793

Another view of Matterhorn at Stellisee when I did the 5 lakes walk from Sunnegga. I took the wrong way to descend after visiting this lake and it took me more than an hour to get to the second lake...
View attachment 352794

@Supercell I promise more photos will come.
Rofl, could be that we both were on Matterhorn at the same time

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Nah, last time I was there in 2018 but I recommended clearwaters some interesting places (by PMs).

·
Registered
5,435 Posts

·
Registered
7,024 Posts

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
And some tennis pictures when I visited Wimbledon, Laver Cup in Geneva, and Shanghai masters this year.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
You should start wearing "KAndy for President" or IBM shirts when you wander in Europe or any place so I won't miss an MTF legend when I do my travel next time.

921 - 940 of 958 Posts