Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I see Baltimore being set on fire tonight and the National Guard called in to restore "order", it reminded me of this article:

http://www.vocativ.com/culture/society/baltimore-poverty/

When a teenager from East Baltimore was asked to describe his neighborhood, he spoke of “big rats going around in people’s trash, vacant houses full of squatters and needles on the ground.” A young woman in New Delhi, asked the same question, described the dirt and the “dirty water found lying on the roads,” while a young man in Ibadan, a large city in Nigeria, spoke of the smell of urine and streets “littered with paper and other refuse.”

·
Your visions will happen
50,881 Posts
When wealth inequality reaches such levels, riot and revolution is the only answer

·
Your visions will happen
50,881 Posts
When the Bloods and Crips are able to put aside their differences and unite to fight the police, you know shit is going down

Who do you call when the cops are aiming at you?

·
Your visions will happen
50,881 Posts
Chill out. Smoke some weed.
:lol:

Maybe the cops need it

Shame, you would at lest hope this does not happen in developed countries.
I hate how poor it makes the US look internationally. We take pride in being "The best country in the world" but when we have things like this going on...

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
When wealth inequality reaches such levels, riot and revolution is the only answer
let's burn some neighborhood homes and nursing homes. That should make things better.

·
Your visions will happen
50,881 Posts
let's burn some neighborhood homes and nursing homes. That should make things better.
While I disagree with the means used to achieve the end, attention must be brought. What is the alternative? Just sit around and wait for some cop to shoot you for no reason? Just let the status quo continue unchallenged?

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
While there's a lot of institutionalized racism in the US, and I understand the anger and the frustration, this isn't the way to act. They're acting against innocent people who didn't do shit. If they were rioting against the police that killed Freddie Gray I'd be applauding them, but not this.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
I can't express it better than MLK himself, so I'm just going to leave this here.

Reactions: MariaV

·
Premium Member
11,979 Posts
I'm not too sure what rioting accomplishes...especially when people are targeting local businesses :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
That MLK quote is very relevant even today, people love to condemn riots like this but ignore the larger factors which cause them.

This kind of rioting is a consequence of a system that breeds inequality.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
oh well, its Baltimore, needs a good clean out, all those old rusty buildings! This is why the Tottenham riots weren't a bad thing :shrug:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't like the headline. No need to insult third world countries.
haha. u wrong for that :lol:

I just watched Selma on a plane yesterday. What a contrast - how far we haven't come since then.
I just watched an interview with a black community leader that mentioned the Watts riots which happened around the same time.

I think the more I learn about the 1950s/60s, the more I notice how similar things are.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts