Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I believe I'm right in saying that this is only the second tie in Argentina's last 11 at home that hasn't ended with a 5-0 whitewash, so credit to Baker, particularly as he nearly blew it at the end.

·
Registered
18,619 Posts
great job Baker... :worship:
he was trying to put all the balls in the court and wait the eriet Calleri to do stupid errors...

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Very proud of Jamie Baker for that win.

It was meaningless in many contexts, but even so, getting a point from the Argentines on clay in Buenos Aires is a little bit sweet.

And for him personally, a huge moment that he can be very proud of.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Baker :yeah:

This was probably the most interesting match of the tie so far :lol:

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
I love some of the stats around this.

So far this century Argentina have played 44 home rubbers and their record is 42-2. The 2 are Ivan Ljubicic in 2002 and Jamie Baker in 2008.

Calleri was 11-0 on clay in Davis Cup prior to this match, 6-0 in singles and 5-0 in doubles. (thanks to Steven on andymurray.com for the stats)

Argentina are very used to winning a home tie 5-0 so this is a nice consolation prize for us.

·
Banned
7,774 Posts

So far this century Argentina have played 44 home rubbers and their record is 42-2. The 2 are Ivan Ljubicic in 2002 and Jamie Baker in 2008.

Calleri was 11-0 on clay in Davis Cup prior to this match, 6-0 in singles and 5-0 in doubles. (thanks to Steven on andymurray.com for the stats)

Argentina are very used to winning a home tie 5-0 so this is a nice consolation prize for us.
So what you are really trying to say is this century Ljubo is the only player to win a live singles rubber in Argentina :worship:

·
Registered
5,572 Posts

Yep, Great britain can say that they did better than most of the other countries who faced us at home :lol:

Baker should be happy with his performance :)

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Good job for Baker. Although it is a meaningless victory in terms of the outcome of the tie- it is a meaningful victory in terms of fighting spirit, pride, etc.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Congratulations to Baker for beating a player ranked 194 places above him. The Glaswegian's fighting spirit was nice to see.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Well done Jamie! At least it wasn't a whitewash, and you can take a good win from an excellent claycourt player!

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
The Argie team wanted to make some money outta this one i see

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
No 5-0? :crazy:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts