Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of fans love to mock Baghdatis as an AO final opponent, but just look at the stuff he was producing early on:

216 km/h serves down the T. Deep, hard backhands painting the lines.

Let's face it: If Nadal had been facing Baghdatis there, he would have taken an MTO and said his back hurt. We know because that's exactly what he did when this was happening to him vs. Wawrinka.

But whenever Federer faced an on fire opponent like this, or Davydenko in the 2010 AO QF, he hung in there until his zoning opponent's level dropped. That's the type of mental strength Federer has that Nadal lacks. No amount of loud grunting and obnoxious first pumps give you this ability.

Also of note: Federer's backhand was on fire in the 06 AO. He didn't hit nearly as many winners with it in this match as he did vs. Haas, Davydenko, and Kiefer, but it was rock solid from the start while his forehand was misfiring, allowing him to hang in there until he could turn it around.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
Of course it was. And people forget that Rebound Ace played super fast, or at least moderately fast HC. Baghdatis could win for that reason, and so could have Nalbandian, if he didn't choke the semi

·
Registered
611 Posts
Of course it was. And people forget that Rebound Ace played super fast, or at least moderately fast HC. Baghdatis could win for that reason, and so could have Nalbandian, if he didn't choke the semi
AO has been at best medium fast. It went to slow as a wet week once they changed the green surface but fortunately it is back to medium fast the last two years. But totally agree re Baghdatis. But of course this would not suit the Novak-Rafa deniers to admit this.

·
Banned
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll acknowledge Federer is generally quite a clean player in terms of gamesmanship, but what a weird match to choose to demonstrate that
Well, he didn't take that mess of an MTO.

And I tend to believe Federer when he said he took the bathroom break because the conditions were bothering him with the shadow half way across the court, and he wanted to give the sun some time to fade more. Of course, Davydenko kicking his ass was the reason that condition bothered him on this day - otherwise he would have ignored it - but I don't think he was thinking, "maybe this will throw off Davydenko." I think he was thinking, "argh! He's killing me! And half the ball is in the sun and half is in the shade, I HATE when this shit happens. Maybe I should take a bathroom break and at least that shit can clear on out of here and I'll have half a chance."

·
Banned
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
It actually was. Unfortunately Baggy ran out of steam then after playing 5-setters in QF+SF, otherwise he would've undoubtedly routined Fed in straights.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
No it wasn't.

It was good and Federer's was bad.

If it was the way you're describing it as, he wouldn't have had as average of a career. Besides, if you watch the actual FULL match, you can see it was just solid/good.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
No it wasn't.

It was good and Federer's was bad.

If it was the way you're describing it as, he wouldn't have had as average of a career. Besides, if you watch the actual FULL match, you can see it was just solid/good.
Agreed, doesn't really look special, looks pretty much like Nishikori-Fed only people like to call Nishi mug and bendover and Baggy is somehow a "warrior". Fun thing is Baggy won the first set and majority of points in the first set highlight are still Fed's. :lol

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Frankly, Fed upset Baghdatis here. Marcos was unstoppable.
:lol

are all the smileys back?? :bowdown: (this one is new, I know this from another board, love it)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts